Send To Compressed (Zipped) Folder

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 25, 2004 8:13:50 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know how to use the new zipping feature introduced with xp &
srv2003 from a command line?

Thanks,
Yaniv
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 8:13:51 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:13:50 +0200, "msnews.microsoft.com" <yanive@nice.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know how to use the new zipping feature introduced with xp &
>srv2003 from a command line?
>

>Thanks,
>Yaniv

Try the compact command.

C:\>compact /?
Displays or alters the compression of files on NTFS partitions.

COMPACT [/C | /U] [/S[:dir]] [/A] [/I] [/F] [/Q] [filename [...]]

/C Compresses the specified files. Directories will be marked
so that files added afterward will be compressed.
/U Uncompresses the specified files. Directories will be marked
so that files added afterward will not be compressed.
/S Performs the specified operation on files in the given
directory and all subdirectories. Default "dir" is the
current directory.
/A Displays files with the hidden or system attributes. These
files are omitted by default.
/I Continues performing the specified operation even after errors
have occurred. By default, COMPACT stops when an error is
encountered.
/F Forces the compress operation on all specified files, even
those which are already compressed. Already-compressed files
are skipped by default.
/Q Reports only the most essential information.
filename Specifies a pattern, file, or directory.

Used without parameters, COMPACT displays the compression state of
the current directory and any files it contains. You may use multiple
filenames and wildcards. You must put spaces between multiple
parameters.

C:\>

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
October 29, 2009 6:49:12 PM

That's not what he was asking. Compact simply compresses the file using NTFS. It doesn't "send the file" to a "compressed folder" or zip file.

I've been looking around for something like this, found solutions for creating Visual basic applets, using PKZip and other third party solutions (which means we'd have to buy it if used in a corporate environment) and what we really want is the command line equivalent of "Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Anyway, my solution was to use 7-zip which is open source and comes with a command line option (7z.exe).
Simply go to 7-zip.org, download the app, the command line is something along the lines of this;

"c:\program files\7-zip\7z.exe" a "d:\backup files\compressed.zip" "c:\working files\uncompressed.txt"

Simple

:)

Dan
http://tipst3r.wordpress.com