Send To Compressed (Zipped) Folder

Hi,

Does anyone know how to use the new zipping feature introduced with xp &
srv2003 from a command line?

Thanks,
Yaniv
2 answers Last reply
More about send compressed zipped folder

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:13:50 +0200, "msnews.microsoft.com" <yanive@nice.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Does anyone know how to use the new zipping feature introduced with xp &
    >srv2003 from a command line?
    >

    >Thanks,
    >Yaniv

    Try the compact command.

    C:\>compact /?
    Displays or alters the compression of files on NTFS partitions.

    COMPACT [/C | /U] [/S[:dir]] [/A] [/F] [/Q] [filename [...]]

    /C Compresses the specified files. Directories will be marked
    so that files added afterward will be compressed.
    /U Uncompresses the specified files. Directories will be marked
    so that files added afterward will not be compressed.
    /S Performs the specified operation on files in the given
    directory and all subdirectories. Default "dir" is the
    current directory.
    /A Displays files with the hidden or system attributes. These
    files are omitted by default.
    /I Continues performing the specified operation even after errors
    have occurred. By default, COMPACT stops when an error is
    encountered.
    /F Forces the compress operation on all specified files, even
    those which are already compressed. Already-compressed files
    are skipped by default.
    /Q Reports only the most essential information.
    filename Specifies a pattern, file, or directory.

    Used without parameters, COMPACT displays the compression state of
    the current directory and any files it contains. You may use multiple
    filenames and wildcards. You must put spaces between multiple
    parameters.

    C:\>

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  2. That's not what he was asking. Compact simply compresses the file using NTFS. It doesn't "send the file" to a "compressed folder" or zip file.

    I've been looking around for something like this, found solutions for creating Visual basic applets, using PKZip and other third party solutions (which means we'd have to buy it if used in a corporate environment) and what we really want is the command line equivalent of "Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder".

    Anyway, my solution was to use 7-zip which is open source and comes with a command line option (7z.exe).
    Simply go to 7-zip.org, download the app, the command line is something along the lines of this;

    "c:\program files\7-zip\7z.exe" a "d:\backup files\compressed.zip" "c:\working files\uncompressed.txt"

    Simple

    :)

    Dan
    http://tipst3r.wordpress.com

Servers Command Line Microsoft Windows XP Windows