Win2k Server Freezes

Here's a ripper.. Our main file server is having hang-ups from time to
time.

Everything runs along normally for days at a time and then, without warning,
the server drops all connections to it (just to get my attention ;-). I go
to the machine and get about 10 seconds to open the event log (no errors or
warnings) or hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager or try to Restart or
whatever and the system stops responding, with the mouse still working.

If I use the taskbar, the pop-up menus appear *translucent* after about two
mouse-clicks and hang on the screen like the server slowly bled to death.
The only way to get things going again is to Hardware Reset button.

When the system comes back up an "unexpected shutdown" message is all I get
in the Event Log.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be (yes, I've virus checked it and AVG
is not running as a service)?? I have no clue where to start looking...

Thanks in advance,
Cameron:)

hai
check system idle status
is that is almost 98% free /not ,{if free go for next,or some thing wrong
with your applications.)
next
check memory pairs (Ecc /Non ecc )has to be same make speed etc.
you can even diagnose with third party tools(mem test etc..) while server
booting.
if you find any error at mem test replace memory.
still not solved,
revert me.

"Cameron Dorrough" wrote:

> Here's a ripper.. Our main file server is having hang-ups from time to
> time.
>
> Everything runs along normally for days at a time and then, without warning,
> the server drops all connections to it (just to get my attention ;-). I go
> to the machine and get about 10 seconds to open the event log (no errors or
> warnings) or hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager or try to Restart or
> whatever and the system stops responding, with the mouse still working.
>
> If I use the taskbar, the pop-up menus appear *translucent* after about two
> mouse-clicks and hang on the screen like the server slowly bled to death.
> The only way to get things going again is to Hardware Reset button.
>
> When the system comes back up an "unexpected shutdown" message is all I get
> in the Event Log.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what this might be (yes, I've virus checked it and AVG
> is not running as a service)?? I have no clue where to start looking...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cameron:)

There is no disk activity at the time and I can't get far enough into Task
Manager to check the idle status (I only get 2 mouse clicks..) but I'm
pretty sure that it's around 98% free.

Memory problems? Oh, s&#*!!! .. I'll run some tests and let you know how I
get on.

Thanks for your help!

Cameron:)

"venkates" <venkates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> hai
> check system idle status
> is that is almost 98% free /not ,{if free go for next,or some thing wrong
> with your applications.)
> next
> check memory pairs (Ecc /Non ecc )has to be same make speed etc.
> you can even diagnose with third party tools(mem test etc..) while server
> booting.
> if you find any error at mem test replace memory.
> still not solved,
> revert me.
>
> "Cameron Dorrough" wrote:
>
> > Here's a ripper.. Our main file server is having hang-ups from time to
> > time.
> >
> > Everything runs along normally for days at a time and then, without
warning,
> > the server drops all connections to it (just to get my attention ;-). I
go
> > to the machine and get about 10 seconds to open the event log (no errors
or
> > warnings) or hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager or try to Restart
or
> > whatever and the system stops responding, with the mouse still working.
> >
> > If I use the taskbar, the pop-up menus appear *translucent* after about
two
> > mouse-clicks and hang on the screen like the server slowly bled to
death.
> > The only way to get things going again is to Hardware Reset button.
> >
> > When the system comes back up an "unexpected shutdown" message is all I
get
> > in the Event Log.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas what this might be (yes, I've virus checked it and
AVG
> > is not running as a service)?? I have no clue where to start looking...
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Cameron:)

Hi all! I downloaded and ran Memtest v6 overnight at the only downtime
opportunity I could get - no problems found. This morning it did it again,
but this time I could get into Task Manager before the desktop froze
completely.

No processes were running, there was no HDD activity and all 28 processes
had a CPU usage of 0% - even the System Idle Process was 0%!!

Has anyone got any ideas what a fix might be??

TIA,
Cameron:)

"Cameron Dorrough" <cdorrough@nortonconsultants.com> wrote in message
> There is no disk activity at the time and I can't get far enough into Task
> Manager to check the idle status (I only get 2 mouse clicks..) but I'm
> pretty sure that it's around 98% free.
>
> Memory problems? Oh, s&#*!!! .. I'll run some tests and let you know how
> get on.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Cameron:)
>
> "venkates" <venkates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > hai
> > check system idle status
> > is that is almost 98% free /not ,{if free go for next,or some thing
wrong
> > with your applications.)
> > next
> > check memory pairs (Ecc /Non ecc )has to be same make speed etc.
> > you can even diagnose with third party tools(mem test etc..) while
server
> > booting.
> > if you find any error at mem test replace memory.
> > still not solved,
> > revert me.
> >
> > "Cameron Dorrough" wrote:
> >
> > > Here's a ripper.. Our main file server is having hang-ups from time
> > > time.
> > >
> > > Everything runs along normally for days at a time and then, without
> warning,
> > > the server drops all connections to it (just to get my attention ;-).
> go
> > > to the machine and get about 10 seconds to open the event log (no
errors
> or
> > > warnings) or hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager or try to
Restart
> or
> > > whatever and the system stops responding, with the mouse still
working.

> > > If I use the taskbar, the pop-up menus appear *translucent* after
about
> two
> > > mouse-clicks and hang on the screen like the server slowly bled to
> death.
> > > The only way to get things going again is to Hardware Reset button.
> > >
> > > When the system comes back up an "unexpected shutdown" message is all
> get
> > > in the Event Log.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas what this might be (yes, I've virus checked it
and
> AVG
> > > is not running as a service)?? I have no clue where to start
looking...

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Cameron:)

This issue is driving me nuts.. Does anyone know what might be wrong?? I
can no longer log out of the machine - hardware reset is the only short-term
fix.