Fortifying skills past 100

Is there any point? I have my Deadric shield enchanted with CE fortify
Block 30 points (ouch that was expensive!), but as my base block skill
has now risen above 70 I've a block of about 103 or something. Does this
make any difference, ie is my chance to block any better than it would
be at 100? Same for other skills, will I be able to build a better
firestorm with a Destruction of 120 than I can with it at 100, or would
it be a waste of time - anyone know how this works?

TIA

Pete MC <nomorespam@youbastids.com> wrote in message news:<41A5BDED.4214D677@youbastids.com>...
> Is there any point? I have my Deadric shield enchanted with CE fortify
> Block 30 points (ouch that was expensive!), but as my base block skill
> has now risen above 70 I've a block of about 103 or something. Does this
> make any difference, ie is my chance to block any better than it would
> be at 100? Same for other skills, will I be able to build a better
> firestorm with a Destruction of 120 than I can with it at 100, or would
> it be a waste of time - anyone know how this works?
>
> TIA

The maximum chance of blocking is afaik 40%. I assume that this value
is multiplied by your skill value divided by hundred. So if you have a
skill level of 80 in Block, your chance to block is around
40%*(80/100)=.4*.8=32%
I say around because most probably your luck will count into this (I
have no idea how) and perhaps also your current fatigue.
Similar with Long Blade. Higher skill level means higher chance to
hit. Skill level above 100 means very high chance to hit even when low
on fatigue (here fatigue definitely has a big impact into your chance
to hit).
Similar with spells. Your chance of successfully casting a spell
depends on your skill level, the spell itself (more powerful->harder
to cast) and on your current fatigue (and on your luck, a little bit
at least). So a skill level above 100 should enable you to cast a very
powerful spell even when totally exhausted. It does not, however, have
any influence on the mana costs or the damage. These depend only on
the spell.

Although I have no experince with it I think it can't be a bad idea to
fortify your block skill. Your Long Blade skill (or any other weapon
skill) is not worth fortifying in my eyes. You will hit often enough,
and if not, throw in a restore fatigue (NEVER EVER fortify fatigue).
I never really fought with spells, so I can't tell you much about this
topic. But I think the limiting factor will be your mana (magic, as it
is called in Morrowind), so I don't think it is worth the enchantment
either.

BTW where did you get a fortify skill spell? I am currently looking
for one...

In article <41A5BDED.4214D677@youbastids.com>,
nomorespam@youbastids.com says...
> Is there any point? I have my Deadric shield enchanted with CE fortify
> Block 30 points (ouch that was expensive!), but as my base block skill
> has now risen above 70 I've a block of about 103 or something. Does this
> make any difference, ie is my chance to block any better than it would
> be at 100? Same for other skills, will I be able to build a better
> firestorm with a Destruction of 120 than I can with it at 100, or would
> it be a waste of time - anyone know how this works?
>
> TIA

I've used constant effect enchantments to fortify my character's
strength. In my last game my PC was wearing both exquisite pants and
shirt with CE fortify strength and her maximum encumbrance was over
700, which made loot hauling much easier.

If you use a lot of spells during combat I'd suggest making items with
a CE of fortify intelligence. It will boost your PC's total majicka
level allowing you to cast majicka expensive spells more often. Or to
cast spells that require a great deal of majicka. IIRC the spell Summon
Golden Saint requires about 160 majicka, making it unusable without
fortification either by potion or enchantment.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain

Robert Oliver wrote:

> In article <41A5BDED.4214D677@youbastids.com>,
> nomorespam@youbastids.com says...
> > Is there any point? I have my Deadric shield enchanted with CE fortify
> > Block 30 points (ouch that was expensive!), but as my base block skill
> > has now risen above 70 I've a block of about 103 or something. Does this
> > make any difference, ie is my chance to block any better than it would
> > be at 100? Same for other skills, will I be able to build a better
> > firestorm with a Destruction of 120 than I can with it at 100, or would
> > it be a waste of time - anyone know how this works?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> I've used constant effect enchantments to fortify my character's
> strength. In my last game my PC was wearing both exquisite pants and
> shirt with CE fortify strength and her maximum encumbrance was over
> 700, which made loot hauling much easier.
>
> If you use a lot of spells during combat I'd suggest making items with
> a CE of fortify intelligence. It will boost your PC's total majicka
> level allowing you to cast majicka expensive spells more often. Or to
> cast spells that require a great deal of majicka. IIRC the spell Summon
> Golden Saint requires about 160 majicka, making it unusable without
> fortification either by potion or enchantment.

Yup, I use CE fortify attribute enchantments already, I'm wondering
about fortify _skill_ enchantments for values over 100.

> BTW where did you get a fortify skill spell? I am currently looking
> for one...

Imperial Cult, Mournhold

Peter Strempel <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<30n1omF337ivvU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > BTW where did you get a fortify skill spell? I am currently looking
> > for one...
>
> Imperial Cult, Mournhold

Thx

Xris wrote:

> Pete MC <nomorespam@youbastids.com> wrote in message news:<41A5BDED.4214D677@youbastids.com>...
> > Is there any point? I have my Deadric shield enchanted with CE fortify
> > Block 30 points (ouch that was expensive!), but as my base block skill
> > has now risen above 70 I've a block of about 103 or something. Does this
> > make any difference, ie is my chance to block any better than it would
> > be at 100? Same for other skills, will I be able to build a better
> > firestorm with a Destruction of 120 than I can with it at 100, or would
> > it be a waste of time - anyone know how this works?
> >
> > TIA
>
> The maximum chance of blocking is afaik 40%. I assume that this value
> is multiplied by your skill value divided by hundred. So if you have a
> skill level of 80 in Block, your chance to block is around
> 40%*(80/100)=.4*.8=32%
> I say around because most probably your luck will count into this (I
> have no idea how) and perhaps also your current fatigue.
> Similar with Long Blade. Higher skill level means higher chance to
> hit. Skill level above 100 means very high chance to hit even when low
> on fatigue (here fatigue definitely has a big impact into your chance
> to hit).
> Similar with spells. Your chance of successfully casting a spell
> depends on your skill level, the spell itself (more powerful->harder
> to cast) and on your current fatigue (and on your luck, a little bit
> at least). So a skill level above 100 should enable you to cast a very
> powerful spell even when totally exhausted. It does not, however, have
> any influence on the mana costs or the damage. These depend only on
> the spell.
>
> Although I have no experince with it I think it can't be a bad idea to
> fortify your block skill. Your Long Blade skill (or any other weapon
> skill) is not worth fortifying in my eyes. You will hit often enough,
> and if not, throw in a restore fatigue (NEVER EVER fortify fatigue).
> I never really fought with spells, so I can't tell you much about this
> topic. But I think the limiting factor will be your mana (magic, as it
> is called in Morrowind), so I don't think it is worth the enchantment
> either.

I love maths people! Thanks mate.

> BTW where did you get a fortify skill spell? I am currently looking
> for one...

What Peter said (or from Lapis Lazuli Long if you're running the
LowGenius mage shop mod).

Peter Strempel <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<30n1omF337ivvU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > BTW where did you get a fortify skill spell? I am currently looking
> > for one...
>
> Imperial Cult, Mournhold

After experimenting a little bit with my new Fortify Skill
enchanments, I found a skill well worth fortifying above 100:
Armor. Fortify your favourite armor skill (light, medium or heavy) and
watch your armor rating go way up. Your armor rating is determined by
multiplying your armor skill with a multiplier depending on the armor.
Let's for exampel say, you have a full set of Deadric armor
(mulitiplier: 2.5 afaik) and enchant your daedric tower shield with
Fortify Heavy Armor 44 (should work), your armor rating will
_increase_ by (44 * 2.5) 110. And you could also make an enchantment
with Fortify Heavy Armor 0 to 88 and than reequip the Shield until you
like the (randomly chosen) value of the enchantment. I don't like it,
but it is up to you.
Bad news for light armor users: Glass armor has a lower multiplier and
is less enchantable, you do not even get a Fortify Light Armor 10 into
a glass tower shield, and the rest of the armor is much worse.

On 25 Nov 2004 13:32:08 -0800, Christian.Henrich@web.de (Xris) wrote:

>BTW where did you get a fortify skill spell? I am currently looking
>for one...

In the basic Morrowind the ONLY way to get this as a spell (as opposed
to potions) is to complete the Morag Tong 26 Threads quest.

In Tribunal there are places to purchase Fortify Skill spells (usually
by 10, 12 or 15 points though once you have one of these you can make
your own much stronger than this).

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:22:05 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>Also, I think that a CE fortify enchant skill would be a really beneficial
>thing considering how hard it is to do some of the higher up enchantments.
>If anyone know off hand what the odds are for a few of the harder CE
>enchantments (doing it yourself) and could run a test on this, I think it
>would work to our benefit, however I think it needs more extra points than
>you could enchant into something to make much of a difference. I believe I
>remember someone on the morrowind forums saying you need a 5000 in enchant
>to have a hope of being successful once in a while on some of those
>enchantments....

That sounds about right. Of course, having a really high Luck and
Intelligence would mean you don't such a high Enchant, but in practice
you just won't ever succeed consistently when making CE enchanted items.
Since enchant success rises at such a slow rate, fortifying it unlikely
to going to make very much difference.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:42:40 +1100, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:22:05 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Also, I think that a CE fortify enchant skill would be a really beneficial
>>thing considering how hard it is to do some of the higher up enchantments.
>>If anyone know off hand what the odds are for a few of the harder CE
>>enchantments (doing it yourself) and could run a test on this, I think it
>>would work to our benefit, however I think it needs more extra points than
>>you could enchant into something to make much of a difference. I believe I
>>remember someone on the morrowind forums saying you need a 5000 in enchant
>>to have a hope of being successful once in a while on some of those
>>enchantments....
>
>That sounds about right. Of course, having a really high Luck and
>Intelligence would mean you don't such a high Enchant, but in practice
>you just won't ever succeed consistently when making CE enchanted items.
>Since enchant success rises at such a slow rate, fortifying it unlikely
>to going to make very much difference.
Taking half a dozen fortify luck potions before you enchant does
wonders as well...