Help... Can not get logged on anymore

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I just installed FrontPage Server Extensions... I was trying to get my VB.NET
ASPX pages to run on my Windows 2000 Server.

As part of the install the server needed to reboot, however it now boots in
and logs off rigth away. The system gets stuck in this loop for hours. Then
stops at the "Press ctrl+alt+del" screen. I can press "ctrl+alt+del" but the
system then logs in and out again. I can also stop the auto log in by holding
the shift key, but the only active local account I can use is the
Administrator. The Administrator account is the one that is cycleing in and
out. Any ideas??? I really would like to not have to rebuild the server.

Jason

Craig

Hey Jason,

Here is a couple things you can try...

1) Can you connect to the registry of the server from a remote
server/workstation?
- If so, then access this key...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

Check the value of USERINIT; it should be USERINIT.EXE

or if you are not able to do that,

2) Boot the server into the recovery console and execute the following
commands:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

I hope these helps.

*
Craig
Microsoft Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

See the Windows NT Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
**