After reading the P4 oc guide i still dont understand..

well i have a p4 at 2.4 GHz and i would like to oc it as much as i can with stock cooling..

my mobo: ASUS P4S8X
graphics card: BFG 6600 GT
my power supply: OCZ 420 watt
ram: 2 gig (not sure on brand :(

anyways if someone could tell me how to oc my CPU that would be great :)... though i havent got much of a clue how to do it so a step by step simple guide would help..

* i know my way around the computer i just dont know where to start.. i tried to oc my computer without a guide or any help but i cant find the jumper free mode so i can set my multiplier higher.. (i just heard thats how u do it...) but mine is already at 18..

so anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks very much
5 answers Last reply
More about after reading guide dont understand
  1. you can overclock the cpu in the bios. it looks as if your P4 is socket 478 and the multiplier is locked as only extreme eidition intel cpus have the multi unlocked. your chip will have to overclock through the fsb, shown below is the fsb speed of your cpu.
    2400mhz/18x=133.3333mhz 8)
    i believe that your board allows you to overclock. i dont think yu dont need to worry about jumpers though.

i ddi a quick search on google and came up with this, it should help.
    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/asus/p4s8x/p4s8xgallery4.htm
  2. :D thx very much, the link was really helpful.. but before i go and oc my cpu i would just like to clarify.. so i increase the thing that says "CPU External Frequency" ?? in the article it says they got it to 166 so ill probably go around there then.. is that all i need to do? increase the "CPU External Frequency"?

thx very much

* ok i was impatient and i gave it a try, i started at 166 because thats what the people in the article got it up to, but my computer hung, so i went down and down till my FSB was 142.9 so now my clock speed is at 2572.333 so how can i test the stability of my system??

* i now have my FSB at 144.0 so my "Core speed" is now 2591.6, but i really dont think its stable, so what can i do to check?
  3. you can download and use many programs to check if it's stable, i personally use prime95 (google it) (i use 2 to load the hyperthreading) but there are many other programs to do the same thing.

watch your temperatures aswell, making sure they dont go too high (though they shouldn't if you don't add voltage) (and it depends on if you have a temperature sensor or not (programs like pc wizard, sisoftsandra, motherboard monitor (though it hasn't been updated in a long time) and everest home edition)

good luck OC'ing

Ara
  4. :( sadly after a day of a oc'ed cpu it restarted... so obviously it wasnt stable.. but my question is why the hell isnt it stable at a fsb of 144 instead of the original 133???

am i missing something? am i supposed to increase the voltage or change something on my mobo or what?
  5. some cpu's overclock better then others (even if they are the same model) you could have, like me, have gotten one of the ones that just don't cut it for overclocking: i can get to 3400mhz (original 3000) with just a slight voltage increase but i can't get to 3500 stable even when i add .1 volts to it (that is a lot in cpu terms)

however, if you have the cooling, i would recommend increasing (a little at a time and testing stablility each time) of the cpu, if it doesn't work, you could try to increase the northbridge voltage just to make sure that your cpu is the component that's not cutting it, check some reviews on your motherboard and check what the reviewers got the fsb to in terms of overclocking and what methods they used in order to get it stable.

make sure your ram is designed for the speed your running it at, it might be making errors (use memtest86 to test that (google it))

but first off: make sure you have the cooling before you do any of this

Ara
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking