Network Neighbourhood Display goes off

Dear Experts,
We are using Windows 2000 Adv server SP4. There are around 70 - 80 computers
in this Domain. Sometimes when we go to entire network and double click our
domain computer to see the list of all the computers in the domain, the list
is blank. Sometimes it appears again. Can anyone help please as the end users
find difficult to connect to the share folder from a particular computer. If
the end user needs to goto a particular computer they have to goto
start/find/computer and type the computer name.
Regards,
Athar

Hi,

There is a particular service you need to look at here. It's called the
Master Browser. In every domain one server is designated as the master
broswer and another as the backup browser. This is done by an election
process. Your domain controller(s) should handel this role. There are tools
from the Win2K resource kit called "browstat" that will tell you what system
your master browser is. You need to check you event logs on your servers for
"Broswer" errors or warnings. If you are running 2 domain controllers and one
is having problems with the "browser" in the event log, this would explain
why some clients see all systems in network neighborhood and why other do
not. If a client is connected via a server that has no browser problems, then
they will see all systems in the net hood. If your client is connect to a
domain controller that is having "broswer' problems then they will not see
any systems in the net hood.

I had a similar problem on my 2 domain controllers before. Turned out it was
b/c the servers were multi ohmed and netbios was enabled on all network
adapters causing a browser error on my lan. I disabled netbios over tcp/ip on
all adapters except one and this cleared up my problem. (my problem was
simliar to yours).

Hope this helps.

Drum on ... .. .. . . .