anyone using PPC for remote Network/Server Administration?

December 20, 2004 2:37:56 PM

I have HP Ipaq 6215, and am using Terminal Server Client for remote
administration, but the resolution and navigation in the terminal server
client is horrible.

anyone out there using their PPC for net/server administration? what tools
do you use?

help
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 2:37:57 PM

Can you define "horrible"? Is the color depth low or garbled?

Thanks,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have HP Ipaq 6215, and am using Terminal Server Client for remote
>administration, but the resolution and navigation in the terminal server
>client is horrible.
>
> anyone out there using their PPC for net/server administration? what tools
> do you use?
>
> help

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 2:37:57 PM

PCAnywhere has a PocketPC client that you may be able to use...maybe...possibly?

http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/sys_req.htm...

I use the PocketPC TSC around my home for quick and dirty admin of my small home network. Nothing
heavy duty though...so I can not speak of real world work experience...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u8mNkGr5EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have HP Ipaq 6215, and am using Terminal Server Client for remote administration, but the
>resolution and navigation in the terminal server client is horrible.
>
> anyone out there using their PPC for net/server administration? what tools do you use?
>
> help

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 20, 2004 3:14:55 PM

1. the resolution is low... the color depth is ok, the screen refresh is
superb (even over gprs 56k), but with this kind of resolution you're forced
to extensive screen navigation.

2. btw. I wonder if the RDP (teminal server) traffic is encrypted from this
PPC terminal server client. any ideas?

3. if the traffic is not encrypted then you could use VPN to tunnel, and
then terminal server withing that tunnel, but I found that after connecting
via VPN (pptp) you can't establish terminal server session within.

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:uG7E%23Lr5EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Can you define "horrible"? Is the color depth low or garbled?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have HP Ipaq 6215, and am using Terminal Server Client for remote
>>administration, but the resolution and navigation in the terminal server
>>client is horrible.
>>
>> anyone out there using their PPC for net/server administration? what
>> tools do you use?
>>
>> help

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 3:14:56 PM

RDP is encrypted at 64-bits with the PocketPC TSC..:-(

Running it through a VPN is a good idea...

--

"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:o 9OPQbr5EHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> 1. the resolution is low... the color depth is ok, the screen refresh is
> superb (even over gprs 56k), but with this kind of resolution you're forced
> to extensive screen navigation.
>
> 2. btw. I wonder if the RDP (teminal server) traffic is encrypted from this
> PPC terminal server client. any ideas?
>
> 3. if the traffic is not encrypted then you could use VPN to tunnel, and
> then terminal server withing that tunnel, but I found that after connecting
> via VPN (pptp) you can't establish terminal server session within.
>

> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
> message news:uG7E%23Lr5EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Can you define "horrible"? Is the color depth low or garbled?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have HP Ipaq 6215, and am using Terminal Server Client for remote
>>>administration, but the resolution and navigation in the terminal server
>>>client is horrible.
>>>
>>> anyone out there using their PPC for net/server administration? what
>>> tools do you use?
>>>
>>> help

December 20, 2004 3:49:36 PM

cool. 64 bit encryption would do if I would restrict access from an IP on a
firewall, I guess.
128bit would be nicer through a regular VPN tunnel... and then terminal
server within that tunnel... but when I connect through the VPN
(successfully) and launch the terminal server client on my ipaq it
disconnects me from the VPN.

I can do VPN and terminal server within that tunnel from my laptop, so I
guess the terminal server client on the ipaq disconnects the vpn by
design...

any experiences with this anyone?

> RDP is encrypted at 64-bits with the PocketPC TSC..:-(
>
> Running it through a VPN is a good idea...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9OPQbr5EHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> 1. the resolution is low... the color depth is ok, the screen refresh is
>> superb (even over gprs 56k), but with this kind of resolution you're
>> forced to extensive screen navigation.
>>
>> 2. btw. I wonder if the RDP (teminal server) traffic is encrypted from
>> this PPC terminal server client. any ideas?
>>
>> 3. if the traffic is not encrypted then you could use VPN to tunnel, and
>> then terminal server withing that tunnel, but I found that after
>> connecting via VPN (pptp) you can't establish terminal server session
>> within.
>>

>> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
>> in message news:uG7E%23Lr5EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Can you define "horrible"? Is the color depth low or garbled?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clinton Fitch
>>> Senior Editor
>>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>>
>>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>>

>>> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 4:33:57 PM

If the Terminal Server(s) your trying to connect to through the VPN tunnel use dotted address
notation you need to add the address to the "Exceptions" list.

--

"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:o cx8qur5EHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> cool. 64 bit encryption would do if I would restrict access from an IP on a firewall, I guess.
> 128bit would be nicer through a regular VPN tunnel... and then terminal server within that
> tunnel... but when I connect through the VPN (successfully) and launch the terminal server client
> on my ipaq it disconnects me from the VPN.
>
> I can do VPN and terminal server within that tunnel from my laptop, so I guess the terminal server
> client on the ipaq disconnects the vpn by design...
>
> any experiences with this anyone?
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> RDP is encrypted at 64-bits with the PocketPC TSC..:-(
>>
>> Running it through a VPN is a good idea...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:o 9OPQbr5EHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> 1. the resolution is low... the color depth is ok, the screen refresh is superb (even over gprs
>>> 56k), but with this kind of resolution you're forced to extensive screen navigation.
>>>
>>> 2. btw. I wonder if the RDP (teminal server) traffic is encrypted from this PPC terminal server
>>> client. any ideas?
>>>
>>> 3. if the traffic is not encrypted then you could use VPN to tunnel, and then terminal server
>>> withing that tunnel, but I found that after connecting via VPN (pptp) you can't establish
>>> terminal server session within.
>>>

>>> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in message

December 20, 2004 5:51:25 PM

how do I do that? I don't see that in the help

> If the Terminal Server(s) your trying to connect to through the VPN tunnel
> use dotted address notation you need to add the address to the
> "Exceptions" list.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o cx8qur5EHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> cool. 64 bit encryption would do if I would restrict access from an IP on
>> a firewall, I guess.
>> 128bit would be nicer through a regular VPN tunnel... and then terminal
>> server within that tunnel... but when I connect through the VPN
>> (successfully) and launch the terminal server client on my ipaq it
>> disconnects me from the VPN.
>>
>> I can do VPN and terminal server within that tunnel from my laptop, so I
>> guess the terminal server client on the ipaq disconnects the vpn by
>> design...
>>
>> any experiences with this anyone?
>>

>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> RDP is encrypted at 64-bits with the PocketPC TSC..:-(
>>>
>>> Running it through a VPN is a good idea...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o 9OPQbr5EHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 5:51:26 PM

Start | Settings | Connections | Connections | Advanced | Select Networks | Exceptions...

--

"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:o Nl8vys5EHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> how do I do that? I don't see that in the help
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> If the Terminal Server(s) your trying to connect to through the VPN tunnel
>> use dotted address notation you need to add the address to the
>> "Exceptions" list.
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o cx8qur5EHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> cool. 64 bit encryption would do if I would restrict access from an IP on
>>> a firewall, I guess.
>>> 128bit would be nicer through a regular VPN tunnel... and then terminal
>>> server within that tunnel... but when I connect through the VPN
>>> (successfully) and launch the terminal server client on my ipaq it
>>> disconnects me from the VPN.
>>>
>>> I can do VPN and terminal server within that tunnel from my laptop, so I
>>> guess the terminal server client on the ipaq disconnects the vpn by
>>> design...
>>>
>>> any experiences with this anyone?
>>>

>>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 21, 2004 1:28:22 AM

I use TS to remote admin my servers all the time, granted there is some
scroll time involved but it does work very well IMHO.

rights...

"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have HP Ipaq 6215, and am using Terminal Server Client for remote
>administration, but the resolution and navigation in the terminal server
>client is horrible.
>
> anyone out there using their PPC for net/server administration? what tools
> do you use?
>
> help

December 23, 2004 4:57:48 PM

thx. :)