Problems installing old games

October 10, 2004 1:51:01 PM

Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click game
icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible with 95/98 then
still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
--
colinfromrochester
Anonymous

Colin wrote:
> Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click
> game icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible
> with 95/98 then still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
> --
> colinfromrochester

You won't be able to install DirectX 5 on WinXP, as DirectX 8 is
built-in, and cannot be replaced. However, DirectX 8 should be
backwards-compatible.

Have you tried actually running these old games using DirectX 8
and WinXP's compatibility modes? What specific errors go you get?
Have you checked to see if the games' manufacturers have provided any
updates/patches to enable their products to be used on a modern OS?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 10:04:51 PM

Hi

Have you tried the Program Compatibility Wizard?

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Colin" <colpurt@globalnet.co.uk(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click game
> icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible with 95/98
> then
> still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
> --
> colinfromrochester
Related resources
October 10, 2004 10:04:52 PM

Will
Hi. No I haven't. How do i find it?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have you tried the Program Compatibility Wizard?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Colin" <colpurt@globalnet.co.uk(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click game
> > icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible with 95/98
> > then
> > still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
> > --
> > colinfromrochester

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 10:04:53 PM

Start>All Programs>Accessories select Program Compatibility Wizard

> Will
> Hi. No I haven't. How do i find it?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have you tried the Program Compatibility Wizard?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Colin" <colpurt@globalnet.co.uk(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> > Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click
>> > game
>> > icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible with
>> > 95/98
>> > then
>> > still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
>> > --
>> > colinfromrochester

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 10:24:15 PM

Hi

You can access that program via Programs>Accessories. However, you may have
to update the version of DirectX that you have installed.

--

> Colin wrote:
>> Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click
>> game icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible
>> with 95/98 then still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
>> --
>> colinfromrochester
>

> You won't be able to install DirectX 5 on WinXP, as DirectX 8 is
> built-in, and cannot be replaced. However, DirectX 8 should be
> backwards-compatible.
>
> Have you tried actually running these old games using DirectX 8 and
> WinXP's compatibility modes? What specific errors go you get? Have you
> checked to see if the games' manufacturers have provided any
> updates/patches to enable their products to be used on a modern OS?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 11:19:58 PM

Sorry Bruce - responded to your posting by mistake.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

> Colin wrote:
>> Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click
>> game icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible
>> with 95/98 then still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
>> --
>> colinfromrochester
>

> You won't be able to install DirectX 5 on WinXP, as DirectX 8 is
> built-in, and cannot be replaced. However, DirectX 8 should be
> backwards-compatible.
>
> Have you tried actually running these old games using DirectX 8 and
> WinXP's compatibility modes? What specific errors go you get? Have you
> checked to see if the games' manufacturers have provided any
> updates/patches to enable their products to be used on a modern OS?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 11:20:20 PM

Hi

You can access that program via Programs>Accessories. However, you may have
to update the version of DirectX that you have installed.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Colin" <colpurt@globalnet.co.uk(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Will
> Hi. No I haven't. How do i find it?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have you tried the Program Compatibility Wizard?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Colin" <colpurt@globalnet.co.uk(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> > Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click
>> > game
>> > icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible with
>> > 95/98
>> > then
>> > still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
>> > --
>> > colinfromrochester

October 11, 2004 3:49:04 PM

Thanks Bruce. Using the compatability wizard and using direct X8 as installed
worked for some games. Others still saying eror on setup.exe,or procedure
entry point could not be located, kernel 32 gets mentioned

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Sorry Bruce - responded to your posting by mistake.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> > Colin wrote:
> >> Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click
> >> game icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible
> >> with 95/98 then still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
> >> --
> >> colinfromrochester
> >

> > You won't be able to install DirectX 5 on WinXP, as DirectX 8 is
> > built-in, and cannot be replaced. However, DirectX 8 should be
> > backwards-compatible.
> >
> > Have you tried actually running these old games using DirectX 8 and
> > WinXP's compatibility modes? What specific errors go you get? Have you
> > checked to see if the games' manufacturers have provided any
> > updates/patches to enable their products to be used on a modern OS?
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:17:07 AM

I had the same problem, for months, finally found the answer on microsoft
that solved my problem, try this
If the issue continues to occur, copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files
from the Repair folder in Windows to the System folder. To do so, follow
these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click OK.
2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click OK.
4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.
5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then click
Properties.
6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.

"Colin" wrote:

> Old games won't install. Problem with setup.exe file. Tried rt click game
> icon/ properties/ setup file/ compatibility/making compatible with 95/98 then
> still get DirectX 5 won't install. Any ideas.
> --
> colinfromrochester
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:57:28 PM

Hi kt, It sounds like you have a program called "WINDUPDATE.EXE" in your
computer. I had it some time ago. It is a program like a virus that some
site has put in your computer to make you purchase updated programs, ones
that will operate with XP's 32 bit system. What is causes is the deleting of
your AUTOEXEC.NT file everytime you boot your computer. Without this
AUTOEXEC.NT file you can't run old 16 bit programs which were developed for
Windows 98 or earlier.
You can search in your computer to try and find this WINDUPDATE.EXE file and
delete it or you can download the free adware eliminating program, AD-Aware
SE Personal 1.05, that finds and can remove these security threats. You can
find it at www.lavasoft.com.

Also many articles say the AUTOEXEC.NT file is in your C:\windows\system32\
folder but sometimes your computer manfacturer put it in the C:\WINNT\
system\ folder. It the latter case your C:windows\ folder won't have a
system32 folder.

If you install and run this ad-ware program it will find almost every little
adware file in your computer and remove them.

Unless you get rid of this WINDUPDATE.EXE file it will keep deleting the
AUTOEXEC.NT file and you will have to restore it constantly.

NevBud

news:D 3B7A960-136F-4BE2-B17C-9FBA59F173BA@microsoft.com...

!