godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
im going to build a core 2 duo e6400 based system .
i was wondering does it matter if i get a OEM cpu (i plan to overclock so ill be buying a aftermarket cooler anyway).
1.waht do you actually get in a retail pack that you dont normally apart from the stock cooler, trermal paste and instructions? :?
2 will a retail and OEM cpu overclock about the same?
thanks

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
You might just be getting the cpu and nothing else, no paper work, no fan, no paste, no sticker, no box. It will overclock just like any other cpu, but I'm not sure if it will be as good.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
okie dokie i guess it would save a few pounds but it would detract from the overall experience, have the stickers, instructions, box paste n stuff. i guess il get the retail one then and make use of the stock cooler somehow.. :lol:

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
I think youll find it has no warranty but you are ocing neway, it is also not as safe as retail as with retail they know its exact source. It also loses resell value much faster, there isnt much difference is there?

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
okie dokie i guess it would save a few pounds but it would detract from the overall experience, have the stickers, instructions, box paste n stuff. i guess il get the retail one then and make use of the stock cooler somehow.. :lol:

Use the stock cooler for a video card :lol: