Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
this is the first computer im putting together and i've come to the part were i have 2 wire it up. Im not 100% on what to do and i dont wanna do any damage. is there any place i can go w/help? [/quote]

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
What kind of help do you need with the wiring? The panel connectors (HDD LED, Reset, Power, Power LED, etc)? HDD or optical drive cabling? Power connectors?

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
ive got all the peripherals down, just the fans (i have a fan controller) and wanna make sure i have the ATX power set up right. also i need some tips for keeping unused wires out of the way. can i put any kind of tape in the case?

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
You can use tape, although it may not look very nice if you put the tape where people can see it. I used a few pieces of tape to stick my EL wire around the inside of the case, and I removed the ones I could see through the window - now it looks great, and stays pretty well.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Welcome to the world of modding.

First rule of modding you will learn is that anything can be done if you have a mind to do it.

Good wiring is probably one of the most overlooked, but very important, parts of putting together a good computer. This is because loose wiring will restrict good airflow. You can hide wires behind the motherboard, in empty drivebays and along the sides, bottom and top of your case by use of holddowns, ties, tape, etc. Just be careful to not put any of those thing on the motherboard. You can go to most computer stores like CompUSA or Microcenter or online at places like FrozenCPU, Performance-PCs, Voyeurmods, etc. and get different kinds of wiring management products. You can also go to places like Home Depot or any hardware chain and get doublesided sticky tape or taped velcro.

As for your PSU, the same thing can be done with it. Use hold downs, placed at specific spots in your case, to guide the cables and to hide the excess. I am assuming that you don't have a modular supply so you can just fold the calbes you don't use and use some tiedowns or holdowns to hide them.

Where are you located? In the US or abroad?

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I like to use double sided velcro tape, or plastic wire ties work well too. Velcro is nice because you can re-apply it when you work inside the machine.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I use double sided sticky tape on the end of any cold cathode tubes I use. I use the velcro for when I want something to be tied down that requires strength like PSU cables. I probably use wire hold downs the most though, different kinds, because it allows me to put excess wiring and cabling in places that are more hidden. Of course, some of the wiring you can hide behind your motherboard.