Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 2, 2004 7:40:22 PM

Can you tell me how I should configure sharing/security properties on a
network share for the following scenario:

- A scheduled task is running, that needs to create a log entry into
\\logs\logs$\file.txt
- The task is scheduled to run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
- The share "logs$" has been configured so that Authenticated Users,
Everyone, SYSTEM and NETWORK have all been configured for Full Control
- The directory logs$ has been configured for Security access for Full
Control for the same users as above.

Yet when my script tries to write to file.txt, I get an Access Denied
error. Writing is just a DOS echo redirect, eg echo HI >>
\\logs\logs$\file.txt

What did I miss??

Adrian

More about : shares system

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 3, 2004 11:04:06 AM

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:40:22 +0000, "Adrian Marsh (NNTP)" <marsh_removeme_@lucent.com> wrote:

>Can you tell me how I should configure sharing/security properties on a
>network share for the following scenario:
>
>- A scheduled task is running, that needs to create a log entry into
>\\logs\logs$\file.txt
>- The task is scheduled to run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>- The share "logs$" has been configured so that Authenticated Users,
>Everyone, SYSTEM and NETWORK have all been configured for Full Control
>- The directory logs$ has been configured for Security access for Full
>Control for the same users as above.
>
>Yet when my script tries to write to file.txt, I get an Access Denied
>error. Writing is just a DOS echo redirect, eg echo HI >>
>\\logs\logs$\file.txt
>
>What did I miss??
>
>Adrian

The System account does NOT have access to network resources.

Create a domain admin account that is only used for scheduling and run the job in that context.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com