Shares for SYSTEM

Can you tell me how I should configure sharing/security properties on a
network share for the following scenario:

- A scheduled task is running, that needs to create a log entry into
\\logs\logs$\file.txt
- The task is scheduled to run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
- The share "logs$" has been configured so that Authenticated Users,
Everyone, SYSTEM and NETWORK have all been configured for Full Control
- The directory logs$ has been configured for Security access for Full
Control for the same users as above.

Yet when my script tries to write to file.txt, I get an Access Denied
error. Writing is just a DOS echo redirect, eg echo HI >>
\\logs\logs$\file.txt

What did I miss??

Adrian
1 answer Last reply
More about shares system

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:40:22 +0000, "Adrian Marsh (NNTP)" <marsh_removeme_@lucent.com> wrote:

    >Can you tell me how I should configure sharing/security properties on a
    >network share for the following scenario:
    >
    >- A scheduled task is running, that needs to create a log entry into
    >\\logs\logs$\file.txt
    >- The task is scheduled to run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    >- The share "logs$" has been configured so that Authenticated Users,
    >Everyone, SYSTEM and NETWORK have all been configured for Full Control
    >- The directory logs$ has been configured for Security access for Full
    >Control for the same users as above.
    >
    >Yet when my script tries to write to file.txt, I get an Access Denied
    >error. Writing is just a DOS echo redirect, eg echo HI >>
    >\\logs\logs$\file.txt
    >
    >What did I miss??
    >
    >Adrian

    The System account does NOT have access to network resources.

    Create a domain admin account that is only used for scheduling and run the job in that context.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com