4 SATA RAID is something like RAID 0+0

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I have heard people talking about using 4 HDD for RAID O set up. I have set up RAID 0 using 2 HDD. Just wonder if mobo support RAID 0 means that you first wired up 4 HDD in two seperate RAID0 and then RAID 0 these two RAID 0 ( at least is what 1+0 and 0+1 are ).

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I have heard people talking about using 4 HDD for RAID O set up. I have set up RAID 0 using 2 HDD. Just wonder if mobo support RAID 0 means that you first wired up 4 HDD in two seperate RAID0 and then RAID 0 these two RAID 0 ( at least is what 1+0 and 0+1 are ).

First run through this thread
and see what you can learn about raid. Your question is a bit choppy. But I think you could be asking if you can have two raid arrays of raid 0 on the same system. Depending on your drive interface, and number of channels on your mobo you can, but with little detail its hard to say yes.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
In theory, RAID 0 by using IO in two disk simultanously will double the IO rate. So by using RAID 0 twice, the data is first divided in to TWO, and at each direction, as they will go to RAID 0 again, they are divided by TWO also. Theoretically, 4 time faster IO.

I am sure people do that but I do not know at what specs of mobo can they do that.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Not really 4X as fast, depends on the drives, controller, channels, and speed of the drives. There is no reason you'd want two raid 0 in that configuration. The speed is not worth the lack of data failover, no matter how you strip the array. It would also be hell on the cpu if you using onboard controllers.