CPU Fan Question - Conroe

Guinfan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Will any fan that will work with the LGA775 sockect work with the new Core 2 Duo CPU's or should I look for fans that specifically say they work for that CPU? Thanks

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
And you know that how? :?:

I was under the impression that all 775 coolers should work with it.

If this is wrong, I'd like to know what isn't compatible to cool a C2D.

My suggestion is to ask one of the people here who have actually received a C2D and completed a build.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I thought it was more based on the socket.

Not the... Holes :shock:
It's always about the holes same with 939-am2.

Heh.. okay.

But from the way I found out about AM2 being a different type of cooling used, was from a link (can't remember wat it was) that explained that you couldn't use a 939 HSF solution. Though I don't recall it was because of the holes. Perhaps it was.

LOL I do remember a thread to where a AM2 user ended up using a 939 cooler, though his temps were.. err.. high.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
I thought it was more based on the socket.

Not the... Holes :shock:
It's always about the holes same with 939-am2.

Heh.. okay.

But from the way I found out about AM2 being a different type of cooling used, was from a link (can't remember wat it was) that explained that you couldn't use a 939 HSF solution. Though I don't recall it was because of the holes. Perhaps it was.

LOL I do remember a thread to where a AM2 user ended up using a 939 cooler, though his temps were.. err.. high. I recall that too i remember that since the am2 and 939 cooling was on different bracket's being 4 pin to 2 pin only a few thermaltake and zalman's worked cause they used the holes and not the bracket on the mobo which also allowed them to work with lga775 and socket 478 procs so in theory it does'nt matter how many holes the mobo has if you are using after market cooling because they dont use a bracket they use the holes on the mobo that hold the bracket, Hmm i guess maybe i can use my thermaltake bigtyphoon on my new e6300 from my a64 since they latch on the same way on the mobo. Does anyone think i could do it?

WareWolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
We just built up a couple of these.. The ones we bought were socket 771 (a server board), so NO they wouldn't take regular 775 fans/coolers. Ours DID come with the clips needed to hold the thing down, and provide a stable mount for the sink. These clips were a little weird, in that they were screwed into motherboard stand-offs - but in the end it was an alright design. Its FAR better to have a mount that goes UNDER the motherboard even in 775 socket systems. There is nothing more frustrating than to find that the stupid cooler pins popped back up from a standard Intel cpu cooler. The 775 'push-pin' fan is a totally BAD design, and should have been recalled, imho.

So again, the socket type determines the cooler type, and NO these socket 771 chips won't take socket 775 coolers.

WareWolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
It's possible, but I really think that the 775 has a square pattern for the holes, whereas the 771 is a bit rectangular in the hole pattern... Next time we crack the case open, I'll measure the distance between the holes..

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I used the same exact waterblock for my C2D as with my Pentium D. Plus I'm getting better temps with the C2D. Same socket, same holes, same HSF.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Will any fan that will work with the LGA775 sockect work with the new Core 2 Duo CPU's or should I look for fans that specifically say they work for that CPU? Thanks

what CPU a cooler is "compatible" with is really irrelivent. It's about the socket the cooler can fit. any cooler that can fit a socket 775 is fine for a C2D. Saying a cooer is compatible with a chip is just another way of saying it's compatible with that chips socket type.

Now this isn't to say you shouldn't research your CPU. If you know your CPU has a high thermal rating, say a prescott for example, you want to make sure you get a cooler that provides excellent cooling. However if you have a chip with a lower TDP rating, like a C2D, you don't need super cooling power, UNLESS you plan to overclock, which always raises the temperature of your CPU.

for a C2D, if you don't plan to overclock, a stock cooler is fine; or any cheap $20 775 cooler will do. BUT if you plan to overclock, obviously, get a btter cooler.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I assume all LGA775 fans will work with the new Core 2 Duo. The mobo's will only have some minor power revisions down to them, no major socket revisions... or "holes".

What does matter is whether some HSF will work with the mobo's you choose due to where it sticks its capacitors, memory slots, also case issues yadda yadda yadda.

My advice, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or Scythe Ninja. They're your best bets for best air cooling.

TRENDING THREADS