Service Packs and Hotfixes

Good afternoon community,

My company has given me a rather large project, and I require some
assistance please.
Currently, we have 200 servers in place, the majority of them running
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, but at different Service Pack levels. All of
the Win2K Service Packs are around and available to me.

I have been tasked with bringing all of these boxes up to the same level of
Service pack, SP4, however, on top of this, I've also been tasked with
bringing all of the Hotfixes up to the same level as well!

What I would like to know is this:

Can anybody here tell me which cumulative hotfixes are included in Service
Pack 3 and Service Pack 4? If I can update hypothetically 10 hotfixes by
applying a Service pack, then of course, it will be much better for myself.

I have audited a number of my servers and cross referenced the Hotfixes
under SP3 and SP4, and a lot of them appear to be the same, but of course, it
may be that the Hotfixes were applied to these boxes before the updating of
the Service Packs.

As usual, all advice is much appreciated.

Also, I've heard rumours of an SP5 coming for Win2K. Can anybody confirm or
deny this?

Andrew.
--
Many thanks,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

The best way to approach these tasks is to bring a SUS server up on running
on your Network. The reason is for some applications like example IIS you
will need a Hotfix that you will not get for a machine that runs Exchange.
SUS is basically like Windows Update, your machine will connect to this
server and search for any updates that might be relevant for that server.
The SUS server it self will Sync with Microsoft to ensure that the server is
up to date. The nice thing about this is, instead of having 200 machines
downloading from Microsoft Update server using your bandwidth, you are only
using one server to download all these updates. In the future you can then
use the SUS server whenever Microsoft releases critical security patches and
updates to distribute it over your network via Group Policy's. You can
download SUS from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

Also SUS is a free download. All you need to ensure is that you have a big
hard drive. Let me know if you need some more info

Hope this helps you Andrew

Regards
PaulDT