new system : how to make it better

scott451

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
hi,

like so many others i am building a new system. i would like to have comments and advice.

case : shuttle sn27p2
cpu : am2 x2 4600+ ee
ram : g.skill pc6400 hz (4-4-4-12)
system disk : wd raptor 150 go
data disk : seagate 7200.10 320 go
graphics card : xfx geforce 7900 gt xt + zalman vf-900cu
burner : plextor px-750a

i have been thinking a lot about a raid 1 system as well to improve the security of my data. my search through the forums has almost lead me to abandon the idea.

thanks in advance,

scott

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Maybe I'm overlooking it, but have you selected a motherboard? Personally I am going with the M2N-E by ASUS. I have also selected that G.Skill memory and I am praying it will be compatible. I emailed G.Skill tech support and they said it is, but I'm still leary with all the problems I read about between AM2 and DDR2.

Good luck

scott451

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
hi,

i should have been more clear. the sn27p2 is a sff case and it includes a motherboard.

point noted about the memory. shuttle doesn't seem particularly clear about compatibility either.

scott

Mondoman

Splendid
Ph, the Shuttle barebones come with a case, PS, and motherboard all designed for each other. I'd be a little worried about having enough power for everything (including the gfx), and also about heat, with 2 hard drives + optical along with a hot video card and fast processor (I'm not familiar with this model Shuttle, maybe it's OK).

edam

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Power won't be a problem. The Shuttle PSUs are extremely efficient, and their 400Watt PSU with the SN27P2 will be absolutely fine.

If you're concerned, you can just e-mail them fromtheir contacts page. I did so regarding the new 300Watt DX10 cards that are planned to come out next year, and they said that their 400Watt PSU's will be fine handling that + a C2D/AMD x2 + hard Drive and Optical Drive.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I would say the system looks solid.

Nothing obvious seems wrong or incompatible. I've owned 2 shuttle boxes and never had a problem with memory compatibility.