New build, PS/memory questions

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Time for a new build... I am looking for a few suggestions.

Case: Antec P180
Mobo: P5B Deluxe
CPU: E6600 w/ Zalman 9500
Vid: Gigabyte 7900 GT ( I figure I'll upgrade to DX10 at the end of next year, this will do fine for now as I don't plan on playing Oblivion, also this comes with a zalman cooler pre-installed).

PSU: Antec NeoHE 550 or Antec Phantom 500 (??)
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 (??)

I want to be able to get a bit of an overclock later on (initially I figure I'll be happy with the performance boost at stock speeds). While the Phantom is lower powered I'm attracted to it as it is quiet, on the other hand the NeoHE is a) modular and b) higher powered and c) cheaper. I did check to see the power I would ened using a couple calculators and it comes in around 420 Watts peak. I'm rather happy with my other selections but I'd welcome some advice as far as the PSU and RAM, or if anyone sees any major problems with this... funny how this started out as an AM2 build 6 months ago but I decided to wait and see Conroe first ;).

Thanks in advance for you help.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
PSU: Antec NeoHE 550 or Antec Phantom 500 (??)
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 (??)

I want to be able to get a bit of an overclock later on (initially I figure I'll be happy with the performance boost at stock speeds). While the Phantom is lower powered I'm attracted to it as it is quiet, on the other hand the NeoHE is a) modular and b) higher powered and c) cheaper. I did check to see the power I would ened using a couple calculators and it comes in around 420 Watts peak.

I no longer recommend Antec power supplies but if I had to choose between those two I'd go with the NeoHE. With an open palate, I'd got for the 550 watt mushkin, the 600 watt OCZ or the 500 watt Seasonic. FSP has competitive units in your price range like this and I know people happy with this Silverstone..