Is there a way to recharge the "Cast On Striking" spell effects on weapons
other than resting or waiting for a very long time? I find in most cases
that I get at most 10 or 12 casts out of these weapons before it exhausts
the charge, more likely than not wasted on rats and scribs. It would be
nice to be able to quickly recharge the item before fighting more powerful
enemies. I suppose I could spend some of my huge fortune to train myself as
high as I can in the Enchant skill so it uses less charge, but that seems
like a strange thing for a mostly non-magic-using character to do.

(Then again, I'm one fight away from becoming the head of the Mage's Guild
somehow, despite the fact that I almost never use any magic. I just trained
myself up to a high enough Alchemy level to see all the item attributes, and
apparently that's enough to get me promoted to full Wizard rank...)

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Is there a way to recharge the "Cast On Striking" spell effects on weapons
> other than resting or waiting for a very long time? I find in most cases
> that I get at most 10 or 12 casts out of these weapons before it exhausts
> the charge, more likely than not wasted on rats and scribs. It would be
> nice to be able to quickly recharge the item before fighting more powerful
> enemies. I suppose I could spend some of my huge fortune to train myself as
> high as I can in the Enchant skill so it uses less charge, but that seems
> like a strange thing for a mostly non-magic-using character to do.

While they can be recharged with any soul trapped gem it is easier to
not rely on weapons with charges. With a sufficient sneak skill you can
take down almost any creature with a single blow from Skullcrusher or
Sunder. Another option I used was to carry several weapons and switch
them as the charges ran out. Using Goldbrand, a custom Daedric katana,
a magical longbow, and later Dwarven darts meant I never had to rely on
the charges in any one weapon.

> (Then again, I'm one fight away from becoming the head of the Mage's Guild
> somehow, despite the fact that I almost never use any magic. I just trained
> myself up to a high enough Alchemy level to see all the item attributes, and
> apparently that's enough to get me promoted to full Wizard rank...)

> While they can be recharged with any soul trapped gem it is easier to
> not rely on weapons with charges. With a sufficient sneak skill you can
> take down almost any creature with a single blow from Skullcrusher or
> Sunder. Another option I used was to carry several weapons and switch
> them as the charges ran out. Using Goldbrand, a custom Daedric katana,
> a magical longbow, and later Dwarven darts meant I never had to rely on
> the charges in any one weapon.

I don't really RELY on the charges. I can take down pretty much anything in
2 hits, maximum, not even bothering to sneak. The weapon I'm using now is
the big sword you find on that guy in Rotheran, and I have maxed strength,
as well as very high sword skill, so I can lay on the damage. Thing is,
it's got this frost damage enchantment, so I just figured it would be cool
(ooh, bad pun) to take advantage of it.

Oh, by the way, that brings up another question. You mentionned Sunder. I
actually have that one, as well as another very powerful weapon (forgot the
name) I got in one of the other Dwemer ruins inside the Ghostfence. But I
can't use them, because equipping them kills me instantly. What do I have
to do to use these weapons without dying from it? I assumed I had to wait
until after some quest or something. Or could I just use my 100% Resist
Magicka for 1 second that I use for my Boots of Blinding Speed? Never
thought of that. Only problem is I'd have to do it again every time I
switched weapons, which would be a real pain. (I switch weapons far more
often than I switch boots, and the consequences for screwing up are far
worse in that case...)

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Oh, by the way, that brings up another question. You mentionned Sunder. I
> actually have that one, as well as another very powerful weapon (forgot the
> name) I got in one of the other Dwemer ruins inside the Ghostfence. But I
> can't use them, because equipping them kills me instantly. What do I have
> to do to use these weapons without dying from it?

Have you completed the main quest? You will get another item which
enables you to use those two weapons. Without this other item, it's
indeed quite lethal to wield them. Sunder and Keening are for the gods
only, and you are only demi-god. :)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:11:16 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Is there a way to recharge the "Cast On Striking" spell effects on weapons
>other than resting or waiting for a very long time? I find in most cases
>that I get at most 10 or 12 casts out of these weapons before it exhausts
>the charge, more likely than not wasted on rats and scribs. It would be
>nice to be able to quickly recharge the item before fighting more powerful
>enemies. I suppose I could spend some of my huge fortune to train myself as
>high as I can in the Enchant skill so it uses less charge, but that seems
>like a strange thing for a mostly non-magic-using character to do.

When you use a soulgem on your character, you get the choice to
1)create a magic item, or
2)recharge a magic item.
This is what the enchant skill is actually good for, and using cheap
soulgems to recharge your items will increase your enchant at a
reasonable rate. You just need to keep soultrapping monsters, and keep a
good supply of empty gems in stock.

Recommendation:
Enchant your weapon with soul trap does not need to be a very long duration
as it will definitely go off during combat, then buy lots of soul gems...

"finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<g9xqd.7082$yC2.508585@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> Recommendation:
> Enchant your weapon with soul trap does not need to be a very long duration
> as it will definitely go off during combat, then buy lots of soul gems...

Another approach is to just enchant your weapon so it costs only 1
to cast and so that it has a high charge count (e.g. 300 or 400). The
weapon will then drain very slowly. Once your enchant gets high, you
will be able to recharge it very reliably with soul gems. Also, you
can use Azura's star as your only (reloading) soul gem if you like.
The smallest soul gems are light, however, and easy to carry.

> Have you completed the main quest? You will get another item which
> enables you to use those two weapons. Without this other item, it's
> indeed quite lethal to wield them. Sunder and Keening are for the gods
> only, and you are only demi-god. :)

Ah. I figured as much. Kind of odd that the game has items that can be
used only after you beat it. It's pretty much an anti-climax after that,
I'd think. "Hey, I've got a few missions left over at the Imperial Cult I
could do... Never mind how demeaning it is for a god to be gathering
corkbulb root and asking for alms for the poor..."

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:38:29 +0100, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Oh, by the way, that brings up another question. You mentionned Sunder. I
>> actually have that one, as well as another very powerful weapon (forgot the
>> name) I got in one of the other Dwemer ruins inside the Ghostfence. But I
>> can't use them, because equipping them kills me instantly. What do I have
>> to do to use these weapons without dying from it?
>
>Have you completed the main quest? You will get another item which
>enables you to use those two weapons. Without this other item, it's
>indeed quite lethal to wield them. Sunder and Keening are for the gods
>only, and you are only demi-god. :)

Back when I was abusing alchemical potions (e.g. layering Fortify
Intelligence to get Int of 1/2 million and THEN making Restore Health
potions that restored > 200 pts per second) I used Sunder to kill
Dagoth Ur WITHOUT using the artifact you refer to - and without
severing another certain artifact required to do so.

What I did NOT get out of this was the victory sequence video...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> > Have you completed the main quest? You will get another item which
> > enables you to use those two weapons. Without this other item, it's
> > indeed quite lethal to wield them. Sunder and Keening are for the gods
> > only, and you are only demi-god. :)
>
> Ah. I figured as much. Kind of odd that the game has items that can be
> used only after you beat it. It's pretty much an anti-climax after that,
> I'd think. "Hey, I've got a few missions left over at the Imperial Cult I
> could do... Never mind how demeaning it is for a god to be gathering
> corkbulb root and asking for alms for the poor..."

Yeah, I've always thought that was odd too - I must admit I always make
Dagoth Ur the very last thing I do with any character, when I'm finally
tired of him. As you say, after that it should be a case of "languish in
palace and enjoy the adoration of one's subjects"!

DeAnn wrote:

> "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<g9xqd.7082$yC2.508585@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
>
>>Recommendation:
>>Enchant your weapon with soul trap does not need to be a very long duration
>>as it will definitely go off during combat, then buy lots of soul gems...
>>

> Another approach is to just enchant your weapon so it costs only 1
> to cast and so that it has a high charge count (e.g. 300 or 400). The
> weapon will then drain very slowly. Once your enchant gets high, you
> will be able to recharge it very reliably with soul gems. Also, you
> can use Azura's star as your only (reloading) soul gem if you like.
> The smallest soul gems are light, however, and easy to carry.

bah, then it won't be very powerful :p

I prefer to get a fire damage 20 points for 5 seconds or similar :D

and as I back up I keep my soulrending silver longsword at hand and a
plentiful supply of gems :)