London to Chicago Videoconferencing Over Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

I am trying to help my girlfriend set up a videoconference from London
to Chicago in May. It's only important to have video from London to
Chicago, not the reverse, although audio in both directions would be
needed. Basically, it's a celebrity question and answer session.
Here's what I had in mind:

Rent a studio in London
Video stream made available by studio through Internet
(netmeeting? other streaming?)

Display in Chicago using a PC
DSL connection
software Codec
(reasonably powerful, new PC running Windows XP Professional)
Netmeeting or other cheap/free client

Does this sound reasonable? Are there studios that would offer this
service? The folks on the London end are not really tech savvy in this
situation. So, the studio would need to handle tech stuff on their
end.

Everyone I've found on the Internet so far is still very ISDN-centered.
We don't have (nor do we want) ISDN on the Chicago side.

Any comments and pointers to folks that can help us would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

gwcox wrote:

> I am trying to help my girlfriend set up a videoconference from London
> to Chicago in May. It's only important to have video from London to
> Chicago, not the reverse, although audio in both directions would be
> needed. Basically, it's a celebrity question and answer session.
> Here's what I had in mind:
>
> Rent a studio in London
> Video stream made available by studio through Internet
> (netmeeting? other streaming?)
>
> Display in Chicago using a PC
> DSL connection
> software Codec
> (reasonably powerful, new PC running Windows XP Professional)
> Netmeeting or other cheap/free client
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Are there studios that would offer this
> service? The folks on the London end are not really tech savvy in this
> situation. So, the studio would need to handle tech stuff on their
> end.
>
> Everyone I've found on the Internet so far is still very ISDN-centered.
> We don't have (nor do we want) ISDN on the Chicago side.
>
> Any comments and pointers to folks that can help us would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

There are companies that have video conferencing facilities that you
can rent out. If you want decent quality of service, you go with
ISDN lines at each end. If you are willing to accept dropouts, slowdowns,
and lower quality video, then a streaming video solution with a regular
speakerphone for the audio backhaul to London. Focusvision does this,
although I don't know if they have any London facilities.

--Dale

Dale Farmer wrote:

> gwcox wrote:
>
>> I am trying to help my girlfriend set up a videoconference from London
>> to Chicago in May. It's only important to have video from London to
>> Chicago, not the reverse, although audio in both directions would be
>> needed. Basically, it's a celebrity question and answer session.
>> Here's what I had in mind:
>>
>> Rent a studio in London
>> Video stream made available by studio through Internet
>> (netmeeting? other streaming?)
>>
>> Display in Chicago using a PC
>> DSL connection
>> software Codec
>> (reasonably powerful, new PC running Windows XP Professional)
>> Netmeeting or other cheap/free client
>>
>> Does this sound reasonable? Are there studios that would offer this
>> service? The folks on the London end are not really tech savvy in this
>> situation. So, the studio would need to handle tech stuff on their
>> end.
>>
>> Everyone I've found on the Internet so far is still very ISDN-centered.
>> We don't have (nor do we want) ISDN on the Chicago side.
>>
>> Any comments and pointers to folks that can help us would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> There are companies that have video conferencing facilities that you
> can rent out. If you want decent quality of service, you go with
> ISDN lines at each end. If you are willing to accept dropouts, slowdowns,
> and lower quality video, then a streaming video solution with a regular
> speakerphone for the audio backhaul to London. Focusvision does this,
> although I don't know if they have any London facilities.
>
> --Dale
I would recommend google and search for H.323. That's a video over IP
standard. If you want big screen quality, look for an H.323 system with
H.264 support. Like Dale said there are companies where you can rent them.

Cheers

never