overclocking an amd athlon xp 1700+

Sadtear

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
hey!
I'm a total n00b in overclocking but I'd still want to know if I can overclock my atholn 1700+!
My PC isn't to great! :( AMD Athon XP 1700+; ASUS A7V600X; GEFORCE 5200 at 128 MB and 64 bit; 2 x 128 DDR ( not dual channel); and a 60 GB maxtor hdd ; asus dvd-rw (keyboard, mouse, and a monitor :D )

Please tell me if I can do something to it without damaging! :D

And if I can do something please explain how as well! :D

Thanks for all the responses!
Please help and don't laught because of my english! :D

Thx again!

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
just buy a new set up bc oc ur current system will not give u good performance anyways. :cry:
i think u have bad ram for OC and ur cpu gets very hot already. Those thunderbirds and thoroughbreds run hot(whip out the bbq).

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Don't even bother OCing your system; the performance that you will gain (next to none) isn't worth your effort. Just save your money for a new computer.

Sadtear

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
My cpu does't gets too hot! the maximum is 40 degrees Celsius cause I keep my case open! But the memories I think... they're no use! :( .

I once tryed something but I din't knew what would happen: I've raised the voltage by one "step" ( to 1,8...V) and there said that my cpu would get to 1,6GHz. But when I've restarted the system I got a black screen and a strange noise! I was scarried and I turned back to the normal configuration!
Colud someone explain me what happend???

Thx for your posts :) !

P.S: I can't buy another pc because ..... of the price! althought I need just a few parts not the hole PC! :(

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
My cpu does't gets too hot! the maximum is 40 degrees Celsius cause I keep my case open! But the memories I think... they're no use! :( .

I once tryed something but I din't knew what would happen: I've raised the voltage by one "step" ( to 1,8...V) and there said that my cpu would get to 1,6GHz. But when I've restarted the system I got a black screen and a strange noise! I was scarried and I turned back to the normal configuration!
Colud someone explain me what happend???

Thx for your posts :) !

P.S: I can't buy another pc because ..... of the price! althought I need just a few parts not the hole PC! :(

Raising the voltage is dangerous and you must becareful. Voltage changing is needed only when your OCed cpu does not boot from the original voltage. U can also lower the voltage and see if your cpu will run at the same speed, this results in less heat.
OC is based on cpu multiplier and memory speed.
ie. memory going at 200mhz and multiplier of 10 will get you 200x10=2ghz.

you can upgrade your cpu by buying a barton socket A chip. There are also socket A semprons, they will cost less than $100.
lookie here and dont forget to get a heatsink and fan+ thermal goo

Sadtear

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
wow! :-o so it's possible tho OC my proc to 2 GHz????

And those settings ??? from where do I set them?????

What program shoul I get to see all my oc settings?? ( like the memory latencies???)

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
wow! :-o so it's possible tho OC my proc to 2 GHz????

And those settings ??? from where do I set them?????

What program shoul I get to see all my oc settings?? ( like the memory latencies???)

it would be realy safer and better for you to buy a sempron instead of risking an oc on that old cpu. IN your BIOS look for cpu settings that say Multiplier and memory speed or FSB speed. I think your old system may not have that in the BIOS and it could be "jumper-based" meaning your motherboard has switches on it for setting the CPU speed.

Sadtear

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
no! I've found something in my motherboard's manual! I do have that multiplier thing :D and I think that I have the FSB one as well! :D
But if I'd try to oc what will suffer my proc??? I mean will this frie it????

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
What are u looking to do? increase performance of your cpu or just try to OC it for experience? tell us what is your multiplier number and FSB number.

Falkirk107

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I had a a 1700+ on a msi k7n2-l motherboard. The multiplier was not locked so i could overclock it to a 2000+. my vcore was set at 1.8V. good luck

Sadtear

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Well looks like I did't read to good! :( :

1) I dont have a multiplier just a CPU Frequency Multiple wich I can't change! 2) And I dont have a FSB either :(.

I only have CPU: Speed, External Frequency, Vcore Setting, Vcore, Level 1 Cache, level 2 cache.

These are the only things related to my proc! Sry for bothering all of u with my questions! Looks like I can't do anything to this piece of junk :(
At least I can play the majority of the games at very low quality :D

Thx anyway for all of your answers! :)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Just get the cheapest Sempron (2200+). With the very easy pencil mod, you can OC it to 2800+ speeds.

Those thunderbirds and thoroughbreds run hot(whip out the bbq).

Wrong. My 2200+ Thoroughbred Sempron idles at around 30 degrees and the most you'll see under load is 40.

Sadtear

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Anoobis thx for that sticky! ( I've read it and I now understand better the "base" of OCing :D )

But where the hack can I find the FSB thing on a ASUS A7V600-X motherboard??? I've read the manual and I didn't find a thing!

Pls if u know tell me!

P.S : oh, and one more thing: if I cant change the multiplier speed it means that my proc is blocked??? And if I want to unblock it I have to tha thing with the soldering iron or so???

TRENDING THREADS