Whats your temps for your C2D?

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Heya folks just wondering what other people's temps look like on air cooling for their new C2D's?

I ask because mine idles around 48C and I thought that was pretty damn high since my old P4 idled at like 30's C. Anyone else noticing this? I use a Zalmann 9500.
Speaking of Zalman, I used Arctice Silver 5...Silver says to put a small dot in the center of the cpu, the Zalman instructions said to scrape a thin lay over the enitre cpu...So whats the correct way? I used the dot in the middle and I hope that's not why my temps are high.

Allendale E6300
Gigabyte 965 DS3
Zalman 9500
Arctic Silver 5

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
You might have not gotten enough paste on the heatsink or the processor, or the heatsink might not be making correct contact with the processor. Take it off, clean, then reapply the paste, spreading it over just to make sure there's enough on. Then make sure you seat the heatsink correctly.

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
arctic silver is different from most thermal pastes, so I would follow their instructions for it. You may have put too much on the heatsink, which is not good. The paste is only meant to fill in gaps to increase conductance, and form a good contact point, too much can impede the transfer of heat.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I agree with others. Just be sure its been cleaned properly, since I guess your re-using the 9500. There could be some air pockets, or old compound thats still there.

Also take in consideration on how the core sits under the heatspreader.

I'd say perhaps to be on the safe side, to evenly spread AS5 out over the heatspreader with a razor.

000000018339.jpg

or with the dot method, try to be sure your covering the center part of the heatspreader that is taking up the same space of the core.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Bwaha! Nevermind ladies and gents...the 80mm fans that came with my Lian Li case were total crap. I ran to Radioshack (because I didn't want to wait for Newegg) and got two 80 mm fans...Except one is adjustable with a knob I modded into one of my drive bays...Damn that thing vents out air like 50 times better, even when I have it on low and its inaudible it works way better.
SO NOW...I my idle is about 27-29 C. W00t!