Looking for comments on 2 printers Inside Please

Considering buying either a:

HP Deskjet 6540 or
Canon Pixma IP4000, rated a best buy by Consumer Reports.

I do a little printing such as CD covers, or perhaps a pdf doc in a great while.

I`m used to HP printers, never had a Canon.

The Canon is cheaper to operate (text) by almost half but I don`t know the size
of the tanks.

I do want good color printing of docs with color pics.

The HP is USB 1x only; I have never used a USB printer.

The Canon is parallel port and USB 1x.

I don`t plan on printing pictures.

Main concern is reliability, ease of use and good service from an ink cart.

Any comments appreciated.

zakezuke

> The Canon is cheaper to operate (text) by almost half
> but I don`t know the size of the tanks.

Canon is a very good deal even though you can shell out $30 for a very
high yield black cart on the HP. The drawback is you have to open the
cover almost twice as often. A pair of blacks will run you like $24 at
a local office store and give you more than the big $30 HP black.

I have less info on the #97 color HP. I'm not up on current HP models
so I don't know if this unit has room for three HP carts. They had a
model earlier this year with only two slots, so if you wanted to use
the photo cart you had to remove your black and replace it with the
photo, or gray depending on your mood.

The light inks are cool beans in many ways, and if price were no object
I'd deal with the larger drop size for them. I loved them on my epson.
But someone described them as filler to help blend the stark regular
drops. Whatever their application they get used in equal measure as
the color. They are not an option unless you go with a higher end
canon, the IP6000 for example.

I have not seen the ip4000 with a parallel port. I guess you could
mean they parallel port to USB adapter, but i've not seen or looked for
that. I'd go usb unless you are on some early pentium I class machine
with a via chipset, and even then you could buy a USB pci card cheaply
enough.

The big weak point of the canon is white text with a black background,
common on CD covers. The resolution is to use a slightly larger font.
Can't speak for the HP on this issue.

Cd printing on the Canon I found to be a tad week in contrast to the
Epson, but I can turn up the intensity to resolve this. HP it's not
an option. In america it's not an option on the canon unless you pull
plastic, press buttons, and buy a tray.

-canon-
BCI-3ek = 25ml pigmented black 500p
BCI-6(black/c/m/y)= I believe 15ml each 280p

-HP Deskjet 6540-
#96 = 21ml 800p
#97 color= 14ml? 450p
#99 photo color = 13ml 130p
#100 gray = 15ml unlisted p

It is almost a no brainer to choose the Canon IP4000. However, in your
case, one of the HP printers may be a better choice because of the
infrequency of your printing. The HP integrates the printhead and ink
tank so if it did clog due to non use all you need to do is get a new
cartridge.

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> It is almost a no brainer to choose the Canon IP4000.

Is that why you chose it? No brains.