Looking for comments on 2 printers Inside Please

Considering buying either a:

HP Deskjet 6540 or
Canon Pixma IP4000, rated a best buy by Consumer Reports.

I do a little printing such as CD covers, or perhaps a pdf doc in a great while.

I`m used to HP printers, never had a Canon.

The Canon is cheaper to operate (text) by almost half but I don`t know the size
of the tanks.

I do want good color printing of docs with color pics.

The HP is USB 1x only; I have never used a USB printer.

The Canon is parallel port and USB 1x.

I don`t plan on printing pictures.

Main concern is reliability, ease of use and good service from an ink cart.

Any comments appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about looking comments printers inside please

    > The Canon is cheaper to operate (text) by almost half
    > but I don`t know the size of the tanks.

    Canon is a very good deal even though you can shell out $30 for a very
    high yield black cart on the HP. The drawback is you have to open the
    cover almost twice as often. A pair of blacks will run you like $24 at
    a local office store and give you more than the big $30 HP black.

    I have less info on the #97 color HP. I'm not up on current HP models
    so I don't know if this unit has room for three HP carts. They had a
    model earlier this year with only two slots, so if you wanted to use
    the photo cart you had to remove your black and replace it with the
    photo, or gray depending on your mood.

    The light inks are cool beans in many ways, and if price were no object
    I'd deal with the larger drop size for them. I loved them on my epson.
    But someone described them as filler to help blend the stark regular
    drops. Whatever their application they get used in equal measure as
    the color. They are not an option unless you go with a higher end
    canon, the IP6000 for example.

    I have not seen the ip4000 with a parallel port. I guess you could
    mean they parallel port to USB adapter, but i've not seen or looked for
    that. I'd go usb unless you are on some early pentium I class machine
    with a via chipset, and even then you could buy a USB pci card cheaply
    enough.

    The big weak point of the canon is white text with a black background,
    common on CD covers. The resolution is to use a slightly larger font.
    Can't speak for the HP on this issue.

    Cd printing on the Canon I found to be a tad week in contrast to the
    Epson, but I can turn up the intensity to resolve this. HP it's not
    an option. In america it's not an option on the canon unless you pull
    plastic, press buttons, and buy a tray.

    -canon-
    BCI-3ek = 25ml pigmented black 500p
    BCI-6(black/c/m/y)= I believe 15ml each 280p

    -HP Deskjet 6540-
    #96 = 21ml 800p
    #97 color= 14ml? 450p
    #99 photo color = 13ml 130p
    #100 gray = 15ml unlisted p

    It is almost a no brainer to choose the Canon IP4000. However, in your
    case, one of the HP printers may be a better choice because of the
    infrequency of your printing. The HP integrates the printhead and ink
    tank so if it did clog due to non use all you need to do is get a new
    cartridge.

    "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
    > It is almost a no brainer to choose the Canon IP4000.

    Is that why you chose it? No brains.

    On 10 Jun 2005 22:24:31 -0700, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> The Canon is cheaper to operate (text) by almost half
    >> but I don`t know the size of the tanks.
    >
    >Canon is a very good deal even though you can shell out $30 for a very
    >high yield black cart on the HP. The drawback is you have to open the
    >cover almost twice as often. A pair of blacks will run you like $24 at
    >a local office store and give you more than the big $30 HP black.
    >
    >I have less info on the #97 color HP. I'm not up on current HP models
    >so I don't know if this unit has room for three HP carts. They had a
    >model earlier this year with only two slots, so if you wanted to use
    >the photo cart you had to remove your black and replace it with the
    >photo, or gray depending on your mood.
    >
    >The light inks are cool beans in many ways, and if price were no object
    >I'd deal with the larger drop size for them. I loved them on my epson.
    >But someone described them as filler to help blend the stark regular
    >drops. Whatever their application they get used in equal measure as
    >the color. They are not an option unless you go with a higher end
    >canon, the IP6000 for example.
    >
    >I have not seen the ip4000 with a parallel port. I guess you could
    >mean they parallel port to USB adapter, but i've not seen or looked for
    >that. I'd go usb unless you are on some early pentium I class machine
    >with a via chipset, and even then you could buy a USB pci card cheaply
    >enough.
    >
    >The big weak point of the canon is white text with a black background,
    >common on CD covers. The resolution is to use a slightly larger font.
    >Can't speak for the HP on this issue.
    >
    >Cd printing on the Canon I found to be a tad week in contrast to the
    >Epson, but I can turn up the intensity to resolve this. HP it's not
    >an option. In america it's not an option on the canon unless you pull
    >plastic, press buttons, and buy a tray.
    >
    >-canon-
    >BCI-3ek = 25ml pigmented black 500p
    >BCI-6(black/c/m/y)= I believe 15ml each 280p
    >
    >-HP Deskjet 6540-
    >#96 = 21ml 800p
    >#97 color= 14ml? 450p
    >#99 photo color = 13ml 130p
    >#100 gray = 15ml unlisted p

Printers Hewlett Packard Canon Peripherals