not sure what this is

brale

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
in that i mean i am not sure what i want.
but let me tell you, i want to have a server for bf2, maybe 16 man something small, but i also want a server type of thing that is online on a site that is just a placeholder for data or something where i can upload a bunch of my files and have my friends access it online too to store stuff.
so the bf2 part is pretty easy, i go look for a cheap ranked server, but the other half im not quite sure about. i want it to be accessible from anywhere online to get files and i want it to be cheap, as in maybe i build one of whatever these things are.
so what am i looking for and can i do it?

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Okay.....

So to simplify things - you want a to run a BF2 server, and use it for file storage at the same time??

Sorry, but you are probably going to have to pick one or the other. BF2 is a demanding game, and if you try to access files while the dedicated server is running, it will have very high ping.

G

I think you have to separate your two needs.

There are lots of servers providing your BF2 needs; and there are loads of servers offering ftp capability. For the file sharing part: there are a lot of free services. But if you want to get a good BF server for your mates you'll have to pay. That will be from 10 bucks a month for a rarely reliable service to a 50 buckish dependable and configurable server...

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Sounds like you need a web hosting solution:
You can go to Network Solutions or 1and1.com

You can make a website to supply download links and use the FTP site to upload files and content.

I did something similar for Quake3 in the past and it worked out well for me.
Dedicate your sever to the game. Let someone else heft the other stuff.

brale

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
no not on the same server.
i want a seperate ranked bf2 server and then a server to host my files that i can get from any system.
two seperate things.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Sounds like you need a web hosting solution:
You can go to Network Solutions or 1and1.com

You can make a website to supply download links and use the FTP site to upload files and content.

I did something similar for Quake3 in the past and it worked out well for me.
Dedicate your sever to the game. Let someone else heft the other stuff.

He's on to something, what you need to do is look at what your bandwidth restrictions are. If you have none, then you can go crazy and use some web-hosting (ftp, https, whatever) to server as a distro. From a business standpoint, there are many failover issues that you need to look at in order to make sure you smooth roaming works well. You'll only need a small NAS for you file dumping, then many put a DC or VPN server infront of it. Make your BF2 server a failover for the DC or VPN, then use something along the line of a X2 processor or dule cpu setup in some array to push the data from the BF2. I dont play game much anymore, ther may be a BF2 Linux server option that would save you some computing power. You'll also need a decent gigabit switch to get the data out over the wan.