Small Business Server

Hi all. We are considering implementing an SBS2k3 server on our W2k domain
(because it's cheap ;-). I've looked through the Microsoft website and went
around in circles a few times before giving up.

My question: Is it possible to implement one (or preferably more than one)
SBS server on a W2k AD domain, even in some basic form??

Where can I find good articles on SBS network architecture??

Thanks in advance,
Cameron:)

No, you can only ever have one SBS server in a domain and that server
has to be the root server of the domain. Because of that, you also can't
add an SBS server to an existing domain nor can you establish a trust to
another domain.

You can however implement multiple Windows Servers as domain controllers
in your SBS domain. You would need to build a new domain with the SBS
server first and then add additional servers to this domain. Another
limitation with SBS is that you must install the SBS products on the SBS
server - i.e. you can't install the Exchange component on another server.

There's plenty more good info on the microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/sbs

Cheers - Stuart.

on 24/11/2004 3:19 p.m. Cameron Dorrough said the following:
> Hi all. We are considering implementing an SBS2k3 server on our W2k domain
> (because it's cheap ;-). I've looked through the Microsoft website and went
> around in circles a few times before giving up.
>
> My question: Is it possible to implement one (or preferably more than one)
> SBS server on a W2k AD domain, even in some basic form??
>
> Where can I find good articles on SBS network architecture??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cameron:)

Thanks for the quick reply, Stuart - I had feared that might be the case.

There is no way I'm going to rebuild our domain just to shoe-horn a new
server - even if it is a HP. No wonder it's cheap :-(

Thanks again,
Cameron:)