Cluster Private Network Connection ?

All,

For the private network connection on a cluster. I understand that it is
possiable to either use a crossover cable or to use a hub/switch. Is there
any advantage / disadvantage of using a crossover cable vs the hub/switch.

What is the recommeded way for this configuration. I have both crossover
cables and a switch available to me to use, just not sure which route to
take.

TIA

Drum on .. .. . . .

"Drumgod1" wrote:
> All,
>
> For the private network connection on a cluster. I understand
> that it is
> possiable to either use a crossover cable or to use a
> hub/switch. Is there
> any advantage / disadvantage of using a crossover cable vs the
> hub/switch.
>
> What is the recommeded way for this configuration. I have both
> crossover
> cables and a switch available to me to use, just not sure
> which route to
> take.
>
> TIA
>
> Drum on .. .. . . .

Hi,

If you plan to use only 2 nodes - crosover cable is the perfect way.
If more that 2 nodes, you need to use hub, IMHO you dont need switch
because nodes will send very little amount of data thought this
pritave connection.

Covax

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Advanced-Server-Cluster-Private-Network-Connection-ftopict228797.html

Advantage = Cheap!
Disadvantage = http://support.microsoft.com/?id=242430

Regards,
John

"John Toner MVP1" wrote:
> Advantage = Cheap!
> Disadvantage = http://support.microsoft.com/?id=242430
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> "Drumgod" <Drumgod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All,
> >
> > For the private network connection on a cluster. I
> understand that it is
> > possiable to either use a crossover cable or to use a
> hub/switch. Is there
> > any advantage / disadvantage of using a crossover cable vs
> the hub/switch.
> >
> > What is the recommeded way for this configuration. I have
> both crossover
> > cables and a switch available to me to use, just not sure
> which route to
> > take.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Drum on .. .. . . .

When you are installing the Cluster service on the first node you can
start secod node and pause it on boot screen, so first node will see
hardbeat cable..

--
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=694113