Printing on CD's

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 10, 2005 8:31:18 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.

TIA

Gary Vocks

More about : printing

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:31:19 PM

Epson R200, R300.

Gary Vocks wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
>
> TIA
>
> Gary Vocks
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:49:38 PM

I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
printer.
June 10, 2005 9:00:09 PM

Might help if you drop a hint as to where you are.
In the USA, the only printer available is the Epson, unless you want to
spend $$$ for a UK model of a Canon.

"Gary Vocks" <gvocks@siumed.edu> wrote in message
news:D 8d0qu$53c$1@schooner.siu.edu...
> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
>
> TIA
>
> Gary Vocks

June 11, 2005 1:33:09 AM

> I don't need a high volume printer just something to do
> a few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a
> fortune.

I printed 1 cd a day for 6 months on my r200 before it died. This is
an estimate based on the the number of printables I bought, which was
150, and the number of non-printables I printed on anyway and let dry
for a few days, which numbered 50ish. I did some jewel covers as well,
but only 25ish.

Reasons for death
1. Overflowed with ink
a. Diaper too full?
b. Wipe got moved?
c. Waste suction tube disconnected and waste ink fell
d. Tendancy to dump waste ink anywhere
e. Inaccurate counter estimating waste ink
2. Head clogged.

I was very impressed with the epson's output. I'm less impressed with
some design elements. It seems to be designed to require service
(diaper replacement) after about a year of use or so, but this is
covered in the warranty period. This can be resolved by remove the
rear trap door and routing the ink to a jug and using the SSC epson
utility to reset the waste counter. Otherwise you'd be stuck with a
dead printer.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

I was impressed that they replaced it with a referbished model, and it
came with new ink. I'm not impressed that those who overwork their
printers get rewarded with a $75 item and average users won't know till
later their printer will require a $60 trip to the printer hospital by
which time you might as well buy a new model. I was less impressed
that the replacement CD tray is on order pending at least another two
weeks. I'm even less impressed by the head's tendancy to clog.

Canon is the only other option for CD printing, but this feature isn't
enabled in America. It can be enabled but getting the tray is
difficult to say the least. But expect more to be sold on e-bay, but
expect them to fetch $30 to $50 each. While I wasn't as impressed with
the out of the box output, the head can be replaced or removed and
cleaned. Epson not a chance.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:33:26 AM

The epson R200 does a great job of printing on cds and dvds. cost less
then $100.00

Gary Vocks wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
>
> TIA
>
> Gary Vocks

June 11, 2005 10:47:16 AM

microland wrote:
> I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
> epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
> printer.

last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
$50 (if I get the rebate :)
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:09:33 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:16 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>microland wrote:
>> I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
>> epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
>> printer.
>
>last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
>$50 (if I get the rebate :)

The attorneys general should be notified if you don't get the rebate.
They have got the attention of many retailers including comp-usa and
best buy.
I just received an email from Canon saying that they have received
my rebate request and were processing it.

I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
in.

Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
commission from the rebates?
I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
them.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:23:24 PM

It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned
the licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200,
R300 and R800 models.

In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.

Art

Gary Vocks wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
>
> TIA
>
> Gary Vocks

June 11, 2005 2:41:12 PM

> In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.

I am in America, have an American ip3000, and i'm printing to CDs just
fine. All I needed on the ip3000 was a tray and the feature enabled.
It is an option so long as you are willing to get/make a tray.

I can't speak for the mp760 or other multi fuctionals. Enabling this
feature is yet undocumented, but the ip3000/4000/5000.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:05:49 PM

>It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned the
>licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200, R300
>and R800 models.

The R1800 will print CDs as well, and very nicely, I might add.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned the
> licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200, R300
> and R800 models.
>
> In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.
>
> Art
>

> Gary Vocks wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
>> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
>> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Gary Vocks
June 11, 2005 6:54:33 PM

> How about ip6000, has anyone tried it on that model?

I have not. Could be the same instruction set as the ip4000 as is the
case with the 3000 and 5000. But it could be like the mp series with
it's on screen display and a huge list of undocumented binary switches
and numerical values. Seriously considered ditching my Epson in favor
of the IP6000, except I know my epson will clog which will require
service or replacement and replacement grants $75 of free ink.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:25:28 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:09:33 -0500, JimL wrote:

> I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
> almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
> notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
> in.

Sounds like a god way to get the sales up while retaining the money in the
bank for as long as possible.

> Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
> commission from the rebates?
> I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
> I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
> them.

The whole rebate system is weird. Why don't the compaines just sell
the stuff to the shops cheaper and the shops just sell the stuff at a
discount in the first place? That way there would be more savings to be
passed onto the customer as the rebate processing must cost serious time
and money process.

--
Dave
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

zakezuke wrote:
>>In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.
>

> I am in America, have an American ip3000, and i'm printing to CDs just
> fine. All I needed on the ip3000 was a tray and the feature enabled.
> It is an option so long as you are willing to get/make a tray.
>
> I can't speak for the mp760 or other multi fuctionals. Enabling this
> feature is yet undocumented, but the ip3000/4000/5000.

How about ip6000, has anyone tried it on that model?

Mike Skuczas
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:02:08 PM

JimL wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:16 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>

>>microland wrote:
>>
>>>I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
>>>epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
>>>printer.
>>
>>last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
>>$50 (if I get the rebate :)
>

> The attorneys general should be notified if you don't get the rebate.
> They have got the attention of many retailers including comp-usa and
> best buy.
> I just received an email from Canon saying that they have received
> my rebate request and were processing it.
>
> I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
> almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
> notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
> in.
>
> Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
> commission from the rebates?
> I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
> I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
> them.

Rebates are an inducement to buy a product. But
the seller knows that a large number of rebates
are never mailed in or don't have the required
parts, etc. So the seller profits two ways, sales
increase, but the rebate doesn't have to be paid,
or if paid, they get to use your money interest
free for a period of time.

Now why would the seller make it easier? that
would defeat the whole purpose of rebates.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:19:08 PM

DaveG wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:09:33 -0500, JimL wrote:
>

>> I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
>>almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
>>notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
>>in.
>

> Sounds like a god way to get the sales up while retaining the money in the
> bank for as long as possible.
>

>> Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
>>commission from the rebates?
>> I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
>>I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
>>them.
>

> The whole rebate system is weird. Why don't the compaines just sell
> the stuff to the shops cheaper and the shops just sell the stuff at a
> discount in the first place? That way there would be more savings to be
> passed onto the customer as the rebate processing must cost serious time
> and money process.

Because it is sales inducement. If you can get
something for half price or maybe free, you buy
it. Would you buy it if the price was always 20
percent less. probably not if it is something you
don't really need.

Rebates are a good deal for buyers that
immediately put all the rebates requirements
together (photocopy it) and mail it in. It is a
lousy deal, if you lose the parts you need, go
past the date, or you don't make a copy and
somebody loses your entry stuff.

Heck, I get turbo tax with the state part and
symantec's Norton Antivirus every year. Cash is
something over $100, but with rebates it is just
$30. In essence, Norton Antivirus is free for me.
Of course, one year they lost one of the rebates
and demanded a new form (which was not available
any place) and I lost about $30. Nobody has
lost any of my rebates submissions since I started
copying everything on my scanner. How do they
know I scanned it and have a record?

Symantec seemed a little slow with rebates (and
the obvious subterfuge of not making copies of the
submission form available didn't help) but this
year, the 6-8 weeks for rebate check turned into
an amazing 2-3 weeks. So maybe complaining to the
government about slow rebate returns works.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:11:22 AM

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned the
> >licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200, R300
> >and R800 models.
>
> The R1800 will print CDs as well, and very nicely, I might add.

Given that the OP said they just wanted to print a few CDs I think the
R1800, and even R800 are a bit overkill!
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:30:41 AM

that's the way they make money.

but for epson, compUSA, Bestbuy, I never had problem with their rebate.
They honor their rebates all the time.

For epson, they screwed me up just one time. After I called them and
yelled on them, they sent the check to me right away.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:12:27 AM

Go down to Best Buy right there in Carbondale and pick up an Epson Stylus
Photo R200 for 95 bucks. They have 'em in stock.

"Gary Vocks" <gvocks@siumed.edu> wrote in message
news:D 8d0qu$53c$1@schooner.siu.edu...
> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
>
> TIA
>
> Gary Vocks

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:13:38 AM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:16 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

Hi:

>microland wrote:
>> I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
>> epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
>> printer.

All consumer printer mfrs do this.

>last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
>$50 (if I get the rebate :)

I bought an Epson R300 (very pleased plus it does a nice job printing
on discs) and I got the rebate in the mail.
This is the first time I actually received a rebate I applied for.
Four separate instances with Creative Labs and one with Canon ...
nada/nothing.
!