Printing on CD's

I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.

TIA

Gary Vocks
19 answers Last reply
More about printing

    Epson R200, R300.

    Gary Vocks wrote:
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
    > compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
    > few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Gary Vocks

    I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
    epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
    printer.

    Might help if you drop a hint as to where you are.
    In the USA, the only printer available is the Epson, unless you want to
    spend $$$ for a UK model of a Canon.

    "Gary Vocks" <gvocks@siumed.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
    > compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
    > few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Gary Vocks

    > I don't need a high volume printer just something to do
    > a few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a
    > fortune.

    I printed 1 cd a day for 6 months on my r200 before it died. This is
    an estimate based on the the number of printables I bought, which was
    150, and the number of non-printables I printed on anyway and let dry
    for a few days, which numbered 50ish. I did some jewel covers as well,
    but only 25ish.

    Reasons for death
    1. Overflowed with ink
    a. Diaper too full?
    b. Wipe got moved?
    c. Waste suction tube disconnected and waste ink fell
    d. Tendancy to dump waste ink anywhere
    e. Inaccurate counter estimating waste ink
    2. Head clogged.

    I was very impressed with the epson's output. I'm less impressed with
    some design elements. It seems to be designed to require service
    (diaper replacement) after about a year of use or so, but this is
    covered in the warranty period. This can be resolved by remove the
    rear trap door and routing the ink to a jug and using the SSC epson
    utility to reset the waste counter. Otherwise you'd be stuck with a
    dead printer.

    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    I was impressed that they replaced it with a referbished model, and it
    came with new ink. I'm not impressed that those who overwork their
    printers get rewarded with a $75 item and average users won't know till
    later their printer will require a $60 trip to the printer hospital by
    which time you might as well buy a new model. I was less impressed
    that the replacement CD tray is on order pending at least another two
    weeks. I'm even less impressed by the head's tendancy to clog.

    Canon is the only other option for CD printing, but this feature isn't
    enabled in America. It can be enabled but getting the tray is
    difficult to say the least. But expect more to be sold on e-bay, but
    expect them to fetch $30 to $50 each. While I wasn't as impressed with
    the out of the box output, the head can be replaced or removed and
    cleaned. Epson not a chance.

    The epson R200 does a great job of printing on cds and dvds. cost less
    then $100.00

    microland wrote:
    > I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
    > epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
    > printer.

    last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
    $50 (if I get the rebate :)

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:16 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >microland wrote:
    >> I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
    >> epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
    >> printer.
    >
    >last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
    >$50 (if I get the rebate :)

    The attorneys general should be notified if you don't get the rebate.
    They have got the attention of many retailers including comp-usa and
    best buy.
    I just received an email from Canon saying that they have received
    my rebate request and were processing it.

    I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
    almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
    notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
    in.

    Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
    commission from the rebates?
    I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
    I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
    them.

    It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned
    the licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200,
    R300 and R800 models.

    In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.

    Art

    Gary Vocks wrote:

    > I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
    > compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
    > few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Gary Vocks

    > In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.

    I am in America, have an American ip3000, and i'm printing to CDs just
    fine. All I needed on the ip3000 was a tray and the feature enabled.
    It is an option so long as you are willing to get/make a tray.

    I can't speak for the mp760 or other multi fuctionals. Enabling this
    feature is yet undocumented, but the ip3000/4000/5000.

    >It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned the
    >licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200, R300
    >and R800 models.

    The R1800 will print CDs as well, and very nicely, I might add.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned the
    > licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200, R300
    > and R800 models.
    >
    > In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Gary Vocks wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
    >> compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
    >> few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Gary Vocks

    > How about ip6000, has anyone tried it on that model?

    I have not. Could be the same instruction set as the ip4000 as is the
    case with the 3000 and 5000. But it could be like the mp series with
    it's on screen display and a huge list of undocumented binary switches
    and numerical values. Seriously considered ditching my Epson in favor
    of the IP6000, except I know my epson will clog which will require
    service or replacement and replacement grants $75 of free ink.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:09:33 -0500, JimL wrote:

    > I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
    > almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
    > notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
    > in.

    Sounds like a god way to get the sales up while retaining the money in the
    bank for as long as possible.

    > Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
    > commission from the rebates?
    > I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
    > I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
    > them.

    The whole rebate system is weird. Why don't the compaines just sell
    the stuff to the shops cheaper and the shops just sell the stuff at a
    discount in the first place? That way there would be more savings to be
    passed onto the customer as the rebate processing must cost serious time
    and money process.

    --
    Dave
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>In Europe, several Canon PIXMA models have this feature.
    >

    > I am in America, have an American ip3000, and i'm printing to CDs just
    > fine. All I needed on the ip3000 was a tray and the feature enabled.
    > It is an option so long as you are willing to get/make a tray.
    >
    > I can't speak for the mp760 or other multi fuctionals. Enabling this
    > feature is yet undocumented, but the ip3000/4000/5000.

    How about ip6000, has anyone tried it on that model?

    Mike Skuczas

    JimL wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:16 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >

    >>microland wrote:
    >>
    >>>I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
    >>>epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
    >>>printer.
    >>
    >>last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
    >>$50 (if I get the rebate :)
    >

    > The attorneys general should be notified if you don't get the rebate.
    > They have got the attention of many retailers including comp-usa and
    > best buy.
    > I just received an email from Canon saying that they have received
    > my rebate request and were processing it.
    >
    > I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
    > almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
    > notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
    > in.
    >
    > Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
    > commission from the rebates?
    > I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
    > I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
    > them.

    Rebates are an inducement to buy a product. But
    the seller knows that a large number of rebates
    are never mailed in or don't have the required
    parts, etc. So the seller profits two ways, sales
    increase, but the rebate doesn't have to be paid,
    or if paid, they get to use your money interest
    free for a period of time.

    Now why would the seller make it easier? that
    would defeat the whole purpose of rebates.

    DaveG wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:09:33 -0500, JimL wrote:
    >

    >> I also just received my rebate from Western Digital. They took
    >>almost exactly 60 days to 'process' my rebate. But they also
    >>notified me by email that it was in process shortly after I sent it
    >>in.
    >

    > Sounds like a god way to get the sales up while retaining the money in the
    > bank for as long as possible.
    >

    >> Why can't some stores process all the rebates for us and take a
    >>commission from the rebates?
    >> I would give them half of my rebate if they just would do it for me.
    >>I hate messing with rebates and would pay a premium not to mess with
    >>them.
    >

    > The whole rebate system is weird. Why don't the compaines just sell
    > the stuff to the shops cheaper and the shops just sell the stuff at a
    > discount in the first place? That way there would be more savings to be
    > passed onto the customer as the rebate processing must cost serious time
    > and money process.

    Because it is sales inducement. If you can get
    something for half price or maybe free, you buy
    it. Would you buy it if the price was always 20
    percent less. probably not if it is something you
    don't really need.

    Rebates are a good deal for buyers that
    immediately put all the rebates requirements
    together (photocopy it) and mail it in. It is a
    lousy deal, if you lose the parts you need, go
    past the date, or you don't make a copy and
    somebody loses your entry stuff.

    Heck, I get turbo tax with the state part and
    symantec's Norton Antivirus every year. Cash is
    something over $100, but with rebates it is just
    $30. In essence, Norton Antivirus is free for me.
    Of course, one year they lost one of the rebates
    and demanded a new form (which was not available
    any place) and I lost about $30. Nobody has
    lost any of my rebates submissions since I started
    copying everything on my scanner. How do they
    know I scanned it and have a record?

    Symantec seemed a little slow with rebates (and
    the obvious subterfuge of not making copies of the
    submission form available didn't help) but this
    year, the 6-8 weeks for rebate check turned into
    an amazing 2-3 weeks. So maybe complaining to the
    government about slow rebate returns works.

    "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >It depends upon where you are located. In North America, Epson owned the
    > >licensing rights for printing direct to CD, so options are the R200, R300
    > >and R800 models.
    >
    > The R1800 will print CDs as well, and very nicely, I might add.

    Given that the OP said they just wanted to print a few CDs I think the
    R1800, and even R800 are a bit overkill!

    that's the way they make money.

    but for epson, compUSA, Bestbuy, I never had problem with their rebate.
    They honor their rebates all the time.

    For epson, they screwed me up just one time. After I called them and
    yelled on them, they sent the check to me right away.

    Go down to Best Buy right there in Carbondale and pick up an Epson Stylus
    Photo R200 for 95 bucks. They have 'em in stock.

    "Gary Vocks" <gvocks@siumed.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for recommendations for a printer that will print directly on
    > compact discs. I don't need a high volume printer just something to do a
    > few cd's a day on average so I don't want to spend a fortune.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Gary Vocks

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:16 GMT, leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    Hi:

    >microland wrote:
    >> I actually a promotion 2 weeks ago, $68 for R200.
    >> epson tries to earn money on top of cartridge but lose money on
    >> printer.

    All consumer printer mfrs do this.

    >last week, OfficeMax has a $50 rebate. I bought it at the last day - Net
    >$50 (if I get the rebate :)

    I bought an Epson R300 (very pleased plus it does a nice job printing
    on discs) and I got the rebate in the mail.
    This is the first time I actually received a rebate I applied for.
    Four separate instances with Creative Labs and one with Canon ...
    nada/nothing.

Printers Fortune CD-Rom Peripherals