remove orphaned DC and Exchange servers from current network

gerald

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hi,

I took over a W2K network recently and there are four servers in this
network – two DC, one exchange, and one SQL. My question is, I saw
two *orphaned DCs in the Active Directory and one orphaned Exchange in
the Exchange System manager.

*note: orphaned server = none existing server.

From all the reading I did, I gathered the last Admin didn't run
DCPROMO to demote the orphaned servers. He probably just took it
offline hence the orphane servers info still remain in the Act Dir and
Exchange System Manager.

For the DC, is there a better way to remove orphaned DC they using
ADSIEDIT?? What is the best way to removed orphaned Exchange server.

Thxs in advance for your advice and help.

cheers,

::G::

This may start you off in the right direction:

S.

on 26/11/2004 10:20 a.m. Gerald said the following:
> Hi,
>
> I took over a W2K network recently and there are four servers in this
> network – two DC, one exchange, and one SQL. My question is, I saw
> two *orphaned DCs in the Active Directory and one orphaned Exchange in
> the Exchange System manager.
>
> *note: orphaned server = none existing server.
>
> From all the reading I did, I gathered the last Admin didn't run
> DCPROMO to demote the orphaned servers. He probably just took it
> offline hence the orphane servers info still remain in the Act Dir and
> Exchange System Manager.
>
> For the DC, is there a better way to remove orphaned DC they using
> ADSIEDIT?? What is the best way to removed orphaned Exchange server.
>
> Thxs in advance for your advice and help.
>
> cheers,
>
> ::G::

gerald

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

thxs Stuart,

I did read that article hence my question about "is there a better way
to remove orphaned DC they using ADSIEDIT?" in my post. I thought
there might be other ways to removed orphaned DC. I shall removed
those orphaned DC with ADSIedit then.

How about removing the orphaned Exchange server in the Exchange System
Manager? If I go Exchange System Manager ->Administrative Groups
->domain name ->Servers ->then lists of exchange servers (including
Orphaned Server ABC)

I would like to remove that Orphaned Server ABC from the Exchange
System list. I used ADSIedit to browse for that Server ABC but it is
not listed in the ADSIedit. Any advice??

Thanks,

::G::