Dot Matrix printers

I've have had many problems with many Ink Jet / laser printers from
replacement cartridges to USB's failure to reinstall etc.
I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
upgraded to XP. Where can I find an updated driver to let me use it under
Win XP? Star Micronics US doesn't recognize it. Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about matrix printers

    > I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
    > upgraded to XP.

    My memory is so very vague on which micronics printers i've had, but
    the last one I used I believe was the NX-2124 rainbow. 24 pin, extra
    foam, quiet mode, one line LCD display. I remember it was one of the
    few printers not worthless without the manual. I gave it away but used
    the stock Win2k and WinXP drivers and picked the only Rainbow option in
    the model number range which would be nx-2420 rainbow.

    The driver IIRC is very generic, and installing just about anything
    from the star micronics nx class also installs windows fonts. Using
    those in word will allow word to display WYSIWYG and actually have your
    text flow normaly even using the printer's proportional fonts. Using
    windows fonts makes the whole process slow and slugish on the best of
    days.

    What I find odd is there a "NX-1000" driver, which would have been an
    older 9pin printer also in a rainbow model. I sold that much earlier.
    I laugh that it's supported in WinXP yet I had to muck around and find
    a newer more expensive model that was pretty much the apex of dot
    matrix printers before inkjets became vogue.

    If worse comes to worse, this should install the printer's xp driver
    which installs the stock fonts into windows and you can at least use
    them in word or whatever, install a generic text printer manualy
    selecting the front.

    Try an Epson MX80 driver. Many of the printers in that era were Epson
    compatible.

    jorge wrote:

    >I've have had many problems with many Ink Jet / laser printers from
    >replacement cartridges to USB's failure to reinstall etc.
    >I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
    >upgraded to XP. Where can I find an updated driver to let me use it under
    >Win XP? Star Micronics US doesn't recognize it. Thank you.

    You may have to try hit and miss using the XP "in box" drivers (those
    provided by MicroSoft) until you hit one that works (or not ;-))

    Art

    jorge wrote:

    > I've have had many problems with many Ink Jet / laser printers from
    > replacement cartridges to USB's failure to reinstall etc.
    > I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
    > upgraded to XP. Where can I find an updated driver to let me use it under
    > Win XP? Star Micronics US doesn't recognize it. Thank you.

    One other thought, if you still have your printer manual, you may be
    able to change the emulation the printer uses. Some can emulate older
    Epson standard or IBM standard drivers, which you may be able to switch
    with some dip switch changes. Then try the drivers within XP that work
    with those emulated printers.

    Art

    jorge wrote:

    > I've have had many problems with many Ink Jet / laser printers from
    > replacement cartridges to USB's failure to reinstall etc.
    > I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
    > upgraded to XP. Where can I find an updated driver to let me use it under
    > Win XP? Star Micronics US doesn't recognize it. Thank you.

Printers Matrix Windows XP Peripherals