Windows 2000 Server Low virtual memory

Hi,
We have a Hp NetServer LT6000r (6 CPU and 8 GIG of
RAM). This is a progress database server, it have been
running for 2 years now and this morning we get an error
message saying that Virtual memory is running low.

I check the page file and that was only one page file of
4096 set on C: drive, I'm pretty sure that before this
server have more page file so i added another 4096 on
another drive.

I checked oin the net to find the best setting for Page
File and i found many sites, no one saying the same thing.

Please someone can explain me the best way to evaluate how
many page file i need? can it be wrong if there is too
much page file or i can set it to the maximum without
problem if my disk space allow that?

thanks!

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for posting!

Generally, there is a recommended value for page file that is 2-3 times of
the physical RAM.

However, when the RAM is bigger than 4GB, it is determined by the
application you run.

Some data intensive applications may simply "eat up" as much RAM as there
is.

You may need to limit this kind of behavior from the application side.

There should be some configurations to do on the database side to reduce
the memory requirement.

On the OS side, if it reports low virtual memory, I suggest you may add
additional page file by 4G at a time to see if the performance get better.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support