Windows 2000 Server Low virtual memory

Hi,
We have a Hp NetServer LT6000r (6 CPU and 8 GIG of
RAM). This is a progress database server, it have been
running for 2 years now and this morning we get an error
message saying that Virtual memory is running low.

I check the page file and that was only one page file of
4096 set on C: drive, I'm pretty sure that before this
server have more page file so i added another 4096 on
another drive.

I checked oin the net to find the best setting for Page
File and i found many sites, no one saying the same thing.

Please someone can explain me the best way to evaluate how
many page file i need? can it be wrong if there is too
much page file or i can set it to the maximum without
problem if my disk space allow that?

thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2000 server virtual memory

    Hi Guillaume,

    Thanks for posting!

    Generally, there is a recommended value for page file that is 2-3 times of
    the physical RAM.

    However, when the RAM is bigger than 4GB, it is determined by the
    application you run.

    Some data intensive applications may simply "eat up" as much RAM as there
    is.

    You may need to limit this kind of behavior from the application side.

    There should be some configurations to do on the database side to reduce
    the memory requirement.

    On the OS side, if it reports low virtual memory, I suggest you may add
    additional page file by 4G at a time to see if the performance get better.

    Hope this helps.

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------
    >From: "Guillaume Genest" <Guillaume.Genest@qc.teknion.com>
    >Sender: "Guillaume Genest" <Guillaume.Genest@qc.teknion.com>
    >Subject: Windows 2000 Server Low virtual memory
    >Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:31:38 -0800
    >microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    >
    >Hi,
    > We have a Hp NetServer LT6000r (6 CPU and 8 GIG of
    >RAM). This is a progress database server, it have been
    >running for 2 years now and this morning we get an error
    >message saying that Virtual memory is running low.
    >
    >I check the page file and that was only one page file of
    >4096 set on C: drive, I'm pretty sure that before this
    >server have more page file so i added another 4096 on
    >another drive.
    >
    >I checked oin the net to find the best setting for Page
    >File and i found many sites, no one saying the same thing.
    >
    >Please someone can explain me the best way to evaluate how
    >many page file i need? can it be wrong if there is too
    >much page file or i can set it to the maximum without
    >problem if my disk space allow that?
    >
    >thanks!

Virtual Memory Windows 2000 Servers Windows