Sign in with
Your question

Swapping C2D / P4 and Shipping Questions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2006 11:13:34 PM

I am building a comp for my bro, and all the parts are here except for the C2D (big surprise). I personally have a P4 540J in my system. After I build my bro's system, i have to ship it to him. My 2 questions are:

1) i assume not many people have any experience with this, but if i were to use my P4 to set everything up, then take it out and ship him the computer without a processor, would he need to do anything besides drop the processor in? "set everything up" means assemble the whole machine and install all the software. Do you foresee any complications with this?

2) in regard to shipping, i am shipping from st louis (missouri) to DC. any suggestions on how to ensure everything will arrive safely? obviously there are no guarantees, but with experience do you guys have a preferred method of shipping computers? does ups/fedex/etc have some sort of special service?

i don't think the specs of the computer that i'm building matters, but they are:
gigabyte DS3
C2D e6600
2x1024 Corsair XMS2 PC6400
2x320 GB Samsung 7200.10
antec p180
NEC dvd burner
lite-on cd burner (i think)
thermaltake blue-orb cpu cooler
antec smartpower 2.0 500W

thanks for your help
August 5, 2006 12:34:52 AM

1) As long as he has an identical CPU, I can't see this as being a problem. If not, then make sure the mobo supports his. If he is a total newbie, or is uncomfortable with putting in a CPU, then I would have him ship the CPU to you. Then you install it, and ship him the complete system.
EDIT: Accidently deleted sentence: "Since he isn't going with the same CPU in your case, then make sure the BIOS is updated, and it shouldn't be a problem."

2) If you built with a new case, then I would use its box and inserts to ship with. You may want to put some bubble wrap or air pillows inside the case, just make sure you don't pack it in too tight, as you can place pressue on the cards & mobo - you just want to keep everything from being jolted. I don't recommend "foam peanuts" inside the case, as little pieces of foam can get into the heatsink fins, air vents and even wedge fans.
August 5, 2006 12:39:47 AM

Quote:
1) As long as he has an identical CPU, I can't see this as being a problem. If not, then make sure the mobo supports his. If he is a total newbie, or is uncomfortable with putting in a CPU, then I would have him ship the CPU to you. Then you install it, and ship him the complete system.

2) If you built with a new case, then I would use its box and inserts to ship with. You may want to put some bubble wrap or air pillows inside the case, just make sure you don't pack it in too tight, as you can place pressue on the cards & mobo - you just want to keep everything from being jolted. I don't recommend "foam peanuts" inside the case, as little pieces of foam can get into the heatsink fins, air vents and even wedge fans.

thanks for the reply. well i would use the 540J of mine to set up the computer. Once the computer functions properly and is ready to go, I would remove my processor and ship him the computer. Then he would insert the C2D E6600 when it arrives.

Yea, I got the case new and have all the packing parts that it came with, so you think that those packing supplies (fitted foam end-caps) will be enough even with the increased weight of the components? Is there a particular shipping method anyone can recommend? i.e. UPS ships comps well whereas DHL does not.
Related resources
August 5, 2006 12:58:58 AM

Just make sure you flash your Mobo to the latest BIOS. (I added that as an "Edit" to my origial post, as I accidently cut the wrong sentence.)

I think the case's box will provide more than adequate protection.

As far as your shipping service goes, just put a big "fragile" sticker on it. I've never encountered a problem with UPS or FedEx, but you might want to choose the insurance just to be safe.

I don't deal with DHL because of a friend's experiences. (I know that this is "word of mouth" data and others may be pleased with their service.)
He lives in an apartment complex, and apparently DHL will just leave the package in the hall in front of one's door if they're not home, rather than going to the office (which is in the building next door) and having them sign for it, and keep it there for him to pick up. The office manager has even informed/complained to DHL, and they still do it.
August 5, 2006 1:05:23 AM

ok, great, thanks for the info! i will definitely get the lastest bios, regardless of which chip i use. i've even read that some people (not necessarily with this board) have to use an older 775 chip to flash the bios before using the C2D. the system should just pick up where it left off with the new cpu when he gets it, right? i guess it would be the same as if i built it with a 805D and then swapped that out when the C2D arrived, so hopefully it should run smoothly. I may get him a 805D anyways just for that reason.

anyways, thanks for the insight on the shipping as well. i'll stick with the cheaper of UPS or FedEx, and definitely insure it.

thanks again
August 5, 2006 1:45:10 AM

i guess i assumed no one has yet, but i could be wrong... does anyone have any experience with swapping an older P4 for a C2D in a 965 chipset board?
!