Still think Conroe isn't (essentially) a paper launch?

mpjesse

Splendid
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/04/whats_causing_dell_xps700_delays/index.html

Even Intel's biggest customer is having problems getting Conroe's. Dell expects to ship its first XPS700 (Core 2 Duo) line by mid October. And that's straight from the horse's mouth.

Now, before some of you start flaming me, read the entire article. Dell isn't the only one having supply problems. I know it's hard for you fanboys to read 3 pages. But at least try...

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I think it is regional.

UK system builders are coping fine. My builder (Mesh Computers) is offering delivery from 22 August. Mine is being delivered on 1 September (due to be going on holiday on 16 August).

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
I think that has something to do with the motherboard, i think they are waiting for nVidia to ship the latest greatest thing.

But, who knows.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I'm, honestly, surprised by this post. That article (read it today) clearly stated that TGP (or Dell) suspected it was a thermal issue that was causing the delay. They have been switching customers with existing orders to the Core 2 Duo, I believe. Don't think they would do that if the CPU supply was the issue/bottleneck.

Edit: Someone reported today that Newegg Customer Service was saying they expected some supply next week. Don't know - just a post I read.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Reads to me as Dell is having more of a "chipset problem" than a Conroe shortage. So I wouldn't use it as an Intel "paper launch" argument. :?

Knowing Dell, it is probably having problems aquiring custom connectors and sockets to use to make sure you can never upgrade your mobo or PS. :)

ivan_lee05

Distinguished
May 19, 2006

Even Intel's biggest customer is having problems getting Conroe's. Dell expects to ship its first XPS700 (Core 2 Duo) line by mid October. And that's straight from the horse's mouth.

Now, before some of you start flaming me, read the entire article. Dell isn't the only one having supply problems. I know it's hard for you fanboys to read 3 pages. But at least try...

nope.... they are already available here in PHILIPPINES... O_O

PC-Express.com
please launch the site's price list.. thank you

if it doesn't come out by the middle of next week i would consider it a paper launch and just get a cheap celeron for the time being.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Fail and quinzos mmm toasty bitch. conroe E6300 and E6400 is already on sale... E6600 is out on the 7th, E6700 no ETA yet

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Seems like a motherboard compatibility problem rather than conroe shortage. Follow your advice, and read the entire article.

Conroe is a paperlaunch waaa! waaa! :lol:

Here go buy yourself one... Link

ya its probably going to be out this coming week. *shrug - if not then not. i'll just get a celeron D until they do come out.

Seems like a motherboard compatibility problem rather than conroe shortage. Follow your advice, and read the entire article.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid

Been my feeling all along - I don't feel like buying an expensive Asus board and having to find another sockett775 chip just to flash a BIOS. I can wait until good board choices are there - up to date (or relatively so).

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Sounds like you should take your own advice and read the article.

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Dell just shipped 20 Dimension 9200s with E6700s in em to my lab. Seems in stock to me. Of course, my lab has a purchasing rep in the company so he can expedite stuff, but I didn't specifcally ask him to.

This is the fastest ramp and launch in Intel's history. I personally know about 15 people who have retail chips (mostly x6800), delivered in the US.

It wierd that people desperately try to look for failure where it doesn't exist. I'm just not getting it.

mpjesse

Splendid

Here go buy yourself one... Link

From the article:

But Dell, Del Rizzo reminded us, makes its own motherboards, and therefore doesn't have to wait in the same queue along with smaller OEMs. So availability for 590 chipsets is not a problem for Dell, he added.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Dell just shipped 20 Dimension 9200s with E6700s in em to my lab. Seems in stock to me. Of course, my lab has a purchasing rep in the company so he can expedite stuff, but I didn't specifcally ask him to.

This is the fastest ramp and launch in Intel's history. I personally know about 15 people who have retail chips (mostly x6800), delivered in the US.

It wierd that people desperately try to look for failure where it doesn't exist. I'm just not getting it.

thats because they fail

mpjesse

Splendid
The point is this launch is a freaking mess. Period. Whether the delays are because of motherboard issues, incompatibility, or low supply of conroe's is moot. There is clearly an issue here.

And half of you posted links to sites that have "backordered" Conroe's. Additionally, almost everyone posted links to the E6300. I don't dispute that E6300's have been available since launch, but the X6800's haven't been. Even more ammusing is the guy who posted a link to a PC-Express. Sorry bud, I couldn't find a single Conroe on that site. (please post a LINK to the processor, not the general site)

The only place i've seen a consistent supply of Conroe's is TigerDirect. And good luck trying to find an entire Conroe system from any OEM.

IMO, this is essentially a paper launch. Just because Intel throws a few conroes TigerDirect's way doesn't mean it isn't a paper launch. Jesus, I seem to remember ATI catching WAY MORE flak for the launch of x1800 series... and that situation was very similar to this situation.

Intel launches Conroe on July 14th but tells everyone availability for most will be August 7th.

At what point does a thing become a paper launch? 1 week after launch? 2 weeks? A month? In my strict definition of paper launch, it's 1 day after launch.

Calapuso

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I just picked up an E6600 today from Novatech in the UK. Its sitting on my shelf waiting for Asus P5W DH mobo which has been dispatched and will arrive on Monday. Could have got the mobo from Novatech too but was too pricey. Can take pictures if you like but thats kinda sad ;)

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Dude, did you even read the article that you linked? The whole second page is about how all of Dell's competitors are having no problem shipping Core 2 Extreme x6800 systems.

and this:

Del Rizzo also said he believed he had learned from Dell that the company has begun shipping XPS 700 systems to customers during the past few days, and that any news that shipments were being delayed until October was anomalous.

And now you are just plain posting incorrect info. Intel did not launch Core 2 Duo on the 14th. The press embargo was up on the 14th, they launched the product on July 27th, and said that volume shipments would hit the channel on August 7th.

At least get your facts straight...

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

More of less I think it has to do with the 590 availability. Or perhaps they have run into a bad batch of components since Dell builds their own motherboards. But the most striking fact that everyone other than Dell seems to have ready supplies of Core 2's points more to Intel "sticking" it to them for bringing AMD into the Dell family.

But you never know Core 2’s are a very “sought” after product, too much demand for Intel to supply to at this current point in time is also a reasonable assumption. But to say it’s a paper launch is a bit much.

The point to be made is a paper launch no one gets anything, this is not the case. This is a “large” demand, not enough supply.

Who would have thought Intel would ever get a sought after product again eh?