Windows XP Pro and Services - What really needs to run

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I would like to know exactly what services in XP Pro absolutely need to run.
I use XP Pro on my home computer as I have 4 units on the network.

I also use the computer for online gaming and need to have as much ram as
possible available for the game itself.

What services are actually ABSOLUTELY neccesary to use XP Pro and connect to
the internet.

Computer Specs -

AMD 1.3 ghz Athlon
512mb Ram
nVidia GeForce 4 MX 5200 video - 128mb ram
Windows XP
Office XP

Also- how do I set up a Virtual Private Network so that others can connect
to each other via the VPN tunnel? I own several domains and want to set one
up for secure communications and file transfer over the internet.

Charles Dudley
www.gamers-webhost.com
10 answers Last reply
More about windows services
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Chuck" <chuck@gamers-webhost.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to know exactly what services in XP Pro absolutely need to
    run.
    > I use XP Pro on my home computer as I have 4 units on the network.
    >
    > I also use the computer for online gaming and need to have as much ram as
    > possible available for the game itself.
    >
    > What services are actually ABSOLUTELY neccesary to use XP Pro and connect
    > the internet.
    >
    > Computer Specs -
    >
    > AMD 1.3 ghz Athlon
    > 512mb Ram
    > nVidia GeForce 4 MX 5200 video - 128mb ram
    > Windows XP
    > Office XP
    >
    > Also- how do I set up a Virtual Private Network so that others can connect
    > to each other via the VPN tunnel? I own several domains and want to set
    one
    > up for secure communications and file transfer over the internet.
    >
    > Charles Dudley
    > www.gamers-webhost.com

    Maybe this --> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm will help you.

    Joe
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Here are some sites that you may find useful
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    "Chuck" <chuck@gamers-webhost.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to know exactly what services in XP Pro absolutely need to
    run.
    > I use XP Pro on my home computer as I have 4 units on the network.
    >
    > I also use the computer for online gaming and need to have as much ram as
    > possible available for the game itself.
    >
    > What services are actually ABSOLUTELY neccesary to use XP Pro and connect
    > the internet.
    >
    > Computer Specs -
    >
    > AMD 1.3 ghz Athlon
    > 512mb Ram
    > nVidia GeForce 4 MX 5200 video - 128mb ram
    > Windows XP
    > Office XP
    >
    > Also- how do I set up a Virtual Private Network so that others can connect
    > to each other via the VPN tunnel? I own several domains and want to set
    one
    > up for secure communications and file transfer over the internet.
    >
    > Charles Dudley
    > www.gamers-webhost.com

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "No@Spam" <Nobody@Nowhere> wrote in message
    > Here are some sites that you may find useful
    > http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    >

    > "Chuck" <chuck@gamers-webhost.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like to know exactly what services in XP Pro absolutely need
    > run.
    >> I use XP Pro on my home computer as I have 4 units on the network.
    >>
    >> I also use the computer for online gaming and need to have as much
    >> ram as
    >> possible available for the game itself.
    >>
    >> What services are actually ABSOLUTELY neccesary to use XP Pro and
    >> connect
    >> the internet.
    >>
    >> Computer Specs -
    >>
    >> AMD 1.3 ghz Athlon
    >> 512mb Ram
    >> nVidia GeForce 4 MX 5200 video - 128mb ram
    >> Windows XP
    >> Office XP
    >>
    >> Also- how do I set up a Virtual Private Network so that others can
    >> connect
    >> to each other via the VPN tunnel? I own several domains and want to
    >> set
    > one
    >> up for secure communications and file transfer over the internet.
    >>
    >> Charles Dudley
    >> www.gamers-webhost.com

    Blackviper's site is a sledgehammer approach and *will* result in great
    fear, uncertainty, and doubt when the computer fails to perform its
    appointed tasks. Joe's post references the eldergeek, perhaps the best
    recommendations. Only make one change at a time, though.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    There isn't a "Core Service" list, it depends on the Hardware and the
    configuration of your PC. Service's are heavily interdependent. It also
    depends on your Network & Protocols. WIA will run if you config is
    using a Digital Imaging device. Themes aren't necessary if you are using
    Windows Classic.
    Actually, to contradict myself there probably is a core of say 19-22
    services that if stopped would cause XP to not perform correctly.
    On my own system I have 36 active services, 8 of them are Symantec
    and 2 are LaserJet services. It's really a complicated issue and there
    isn't any single setup that works for everybody.
    Also, there is more to it than what appears in the Services listing in
    the MMConsole. If you look in the Registry's HKLM, CurrentControl
    Set/Services you'll see many more items listed.
    Best suggestion is read up & Back up before twiddling with Service
    Start modes.

    "Chuck" <chuck@gamers-webhost.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to know exactly what services in XP Pro absolutely need to
    >run. I use XP Pro on my home computer as I have 4 units on the network.
    >
    > I also use the computer for online gaming and need to have as much ram as
    > possible available for the game itself.
    >
    > What services are actually ABSOLUTELY neccesary to use XP Pro and connect
    > to the internet.
    >
    > Computer Specs -
    >
    > AMD 1.3 ghz Athlon
    > 512mb Ram
    > nVidia GeForce 4 MX 5200 video - 128mb ram
    > Windows XP
    > Office XP
    >
    > Also- how do I set up a Virtual Private Network so that others can connect
    > to each other via the VPN tunnel? I own several domains and want to set
    > one up for secure communications and file transfer over the internet.
    >
    > Charles Dudley
    > www.gamers-webhost.com

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > Actually, to contradict myself there probably is a core of say 19-22
    > services that if stopped would cause XP to not perform correctly.
    > On my own system I have 36 active services, 8 of them are Symantec
    > and 2 are LaserJet services. It's really a complicated issue and there
    > isn't any single setup that works for everybody.

    By way of reference, I've got 18 services that are "started" and
    four of them are non-Microsoft services. However, I've probably
    cut my services down to the bone, below the number of the average
    computer user. I have no trouble doing all that I need to do, and
    surfing the Internet as well.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I wonder what gain you were hoping to achieve by cutting your services "down
    to the bone." Yes, I've read all the hype on several web sites. Hype it is.
    If a user's system is so underpowered and/or fragile that they need need to
    look to Windows services to help their computer's performance, they've got
    other problems. And what future problems will you complain about in this and
    (in view of your lack of judgement) many other groups that can be traced to
    a short-sighted interference with the operating system?

    Ted Zieglar

    "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >> Actually, to contradict myself there probably is a core of say 19-22
    >> services that if stopped would cause XP to not perform correctly.
    >> On my own system I have 36 active services, 8 of them are Symantec
    >> and 2 are LaserJet services. It's really a complicated issue and there
    >> isn't any single setup that works for everybody.
    >
    > By way of reference, I've got 18 services that are "started" and four of
    > them are non-Microsoft services. However, I've probably cut my services
    > down to the bone, below the number of the average computer user. I have no
    > trouble doing all that I need to do, and surfing the Internet as well.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > Blackviper's site is a sledgehammer approach and *will* result in great
    > fear, uncertainty, and doubt when the computer fails to perform its
    > appointed tasks. Joe's post references the eldergeek, perhaps the best
    > recommendations. Only make one change at a time, though.

    But the BlackViper site give you a good idea of what you actually
    *need* to have running, the bare minimum.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I like it for troubleshooting, but I usually don't like to run skinny.

    >> Blackviper's site is a sledgehammer approach and *will* result in great
    >> fear, uncertainty, and doubt when the computer fails to perform its
    >> appointed tasks. Joe's post references the eldergeek, perhaps the best
    >> recommendations. Only make one change at a time, though.
    >
    > But the BlackViper site give you a good idea of what you actually *need*
    > to have running, the bare minimum.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > I wonder what gain you were hoping to achieve by cutting your services "down to the bone." Yes, I've read all the hype on several web sites. Hype it is. If a user's system is so underpowered and/or fragile that they need need to look to Windows services to help their computer's performance, they've got other problems. And what future problems will you complain about in this and (in view of your lack of judgement) many other groups that can be traced to a short-sighted interference with the operating system?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    What you call "short sighted interference with the operating
    system" I call taking control of my own computer. I don't give a
    flying damn what Microsoft thinks should be running at startup on
    my computer -- I want to run what I need to run for my own
    particular situation. And, as a general principle, the less you
    have running, the less likelihood there is for software conflicts,
    and the fewer system resources you will use. As it happens, I have
    a fast computer with a full gig of RAM memory, but I don't ever
    want a fat computer.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    You've fallen for the hype, my friend. Lock stock and barrel.

    Don't be surprised if weeks or months from now some problem will "suddenly"
    strike your system, which you will undoubtedly blame on Microsoft.

    >> I wonder what gain you were hoping to achieve by cutting your services
    >> "down to the bone." Yes, I've read all the hype on several web sites.
    >> Hype it is. If a user's system is so underpowered and/or fragile that
    >> they need need to look to Windows services to help their computer's
    >> performance, they've got other problems. And what future problems will
    >> you complain about in this and (in view of your lack of judgement) many
    >> other groups that can be traced to a short-sighted interference with the
    >> operating system?
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >
    > What you call "short sighted interference with the operating system" I
    > call taking control of my own computer. I don't give a flying damn what
    > Microsoft thinks should be running at startup on my computer -- I want to
    > run what I need to run for my own particular situation. And, as a general
    > principle, the less you have running, the less likelihood there is for
    > software conflicts, and the fewer system resources you will use. As it
    > happens, I have a fast computer with a full gig of RAM memory, but I don't
    > ever want a fat computer.

Microsoft Windows XP