cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
i want to build a comp built around the core 2 duo and the evga 7950gx2, which motherboards and ram would be best? i only want to spend like 1400 on this comp, i was thinking about going for a thermaltake armor lcs case for the case too. and where is the cheapest place to buy these parts?

edit

i forgot to say i also want to have good overclocking abilities and i already have all the hd's and dvd drives and my power suppley is an ultra x-connect 500 watt

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
the motherboard you said has bad reviews, do you use in and are those reviews just made by ppl who dont know what they are saying?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
the motherboard you said has bad reviews, do you use in and are those reviews just made by ppl who dont know what they are saying?

Newegg reviews are baseless and often times just product bashing or gloating. Take them with a grain of salt. Prophecy would not steer you wrong.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Newegg reviews are baseless and often times just product bashing or gloating. Take them with a grain of salt. Prophecy would not steer you wrong.

Word! Newegg is plagued by fanboys bashing products that compete with their favorite brands . . . sometimes they can give you inkling about how a product actually performs, but you have to sift through a lot of dung to get to anything worthwhile.

shadowduck and nikolokolus are right. The Newegg reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. If you want real reviews of a product, look on some tech review sites (such as THG). Anandtech is another good site to have a look at.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
thats not a SLI motherboard though...

You wanted the 7950gx2 right??

Grab the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe for SLI

I believe that was the whole design for the GX2, so that you don't NEED SLI to use it...

SLI = 2 cards, 2 slots (or 4 cards 2 slots) GX2 = 2 cards, 1 slot

The 7950 is a complete waste of money. Drop to the 7600GT and wait for the DX 10 cards to arrive. A 7600GT coupled with the E6600 should still give you pretty good gaming performance until DX 10 shows up.

Probably not. DX 10 is supposed to be arriving around the time Vista shows up, which won't (for now) be until at least January '07. But the 7950 would be an even bigger waste of money if you're going to wait until October to get this. That would mean you would get only 5 months of use from it, instead of 7-8 if you were to buy it now.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
what do u think about the thermaltake armor lcs case? i was thinking about later upgrading the watercooling to a custom kit but as a starter to water cooling u think the lcs is the way to go?

TRENDING THREADS