Ordered my E6600 today for $181.00 including shipping/tax!

Omerta

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I know ya'll think i am full of crap, but I work for Intel and they are selling the chips to us for about 1/2 price.

Only catch is that I have to wait for a September delivery!

That's OK though. I can definitely wait.

mikeyg83

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I know ya'll think i am full of crap, but I work for Intel and they are selling the chips to us for about 1/2 price.

Only catch is that I have to wait for a September delivery!

That's OK though. I can definitely wait.

so are you just bragging or offering your connections (for a small fee of course :wink: (or a large fee))?

Omerta

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
naah. just bragging. I could get disciplinary action for buying them for personal gain. but I can buy up to one of each item (x6800 is $495) and hook up my *cough* family.

mikeyg83

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
alright, so you work for intel, so maybe you can answer my question.. i posted it here a few hours ago and got an ok answer.
i'm building a comp for my bro and i'm waiting on just the e6600. i personally have a P4 540J in my system. could i take the 540J out of my comp and use it to build his computer, then when it is all built and ready with windows and all other software and whatnot, take the processor out and mail him the comp? then when he gets the cpu he can just drop it in? if i did this, would there be any hiccups or anything that would make my bro have to configure stuff? or would the system just see it and move on with its business as usual? either reply here or PM me if you know
thanks!
mike

mikeyg83

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
As long as the P4 is socket T LGA 775, then you should have no problems doing this.

would he have to do anything involving the BIOS or having problems not POSTing? i posted this also at Anandtech, and someone said:
"I foresee HUGE complications if he isn't actually familiar with building a computer and installing a processor himself. If he knows what he's doing and there are other reasons you had to build and ship it, then presumably it'll be okay.

As far as changing the processor, there shouldn't be any problems. There may be some "new hardware detected" messages and some reboots required, and he might need to reset the BIOS or it might complain on POST about the hardware having changed. He'd want to check all the settings for memory and bus speed anyway, just to verify they're properly detected and configured."

i was looking for an answer more like yours :)
thanks

Omerta

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I am not sure. I think it would depend on your motherboard/BIOS compatibilty with the 2 chips. The newer motherboards may not be compatible with the older 540j. There is also the issue of FSB--800 vs. 1066. small things like that will need to be corrected to get best performance since the 540j will likely not run at 1066 at normal multiplier.

I am not a super expert by any means, but i would check the vendor website for compatibility and if they are both compatible then fire away..

mikeyg83

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
great, thanks again for your help! if you are so inclined, here is the link to the site regarding compatibility:
link
both the 540J and the e6600 are listed as compatible, and they both have a F1 next to them, which i can only imagine is the BIOS. however, i have read other places that there is a BIOS update for this board already, but it is not on this sheet, so i don't know if the BIOS update would affect compatibility.. hmm. anyways, thanks again!

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
alright, so you work for intel, so maybe you can answer my question.. i posted it here a few hours ago and got an ok answer.
i'm building a comp for my bro and i'm waiting on just the e6600. i personally have a P4 540J in my system. could i take the 540J out of my comp and use it to build his computer, then when it is all built and ready with windows and all other software and whatnot, take the processor out and mail him the comp? then when he gets the cpu he can just drop it in? if i did this, would there be any hiccups or anything that would make my bro have to configure stuff? or would the system just see it and move on with its business as usual? either reply here or PM me if you know
thanks!
mike

It all depends on the motherboard, and BIOS.

If it's anything less than a 955x, forget it. Sure, there are certain 945 chipsets that "might" run the Core 2 Duo, but it's iffy.

As for the pre-built computer, minus CPU, it's doable, a little on the "grey" side of the user agreement, but it's doable. I know, cause I have dropped different CPUs into motherboards and they run just fine with the existing Windows install. Your bro might have to adjust certain things, but he has to make sure the CPU is compatible with the motherboard.

Oh, and I work for intel too, and yes...we do get Core 2 Duos at a discount, and they do ship in Sept, but they are sweeeeeet deals.

:D

*edit*

The Gigabyte DS3, huh? Yeah, you should have no issues with Core 2 Duo. In fact, that's one the boards I'm comtemplating getting myself.