windowsupdate for Pocket PC

December 21, 2004 6:07:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

Hi, I have pocket pc 2003 - iPAQ h1935 and I'd like to utilize the
windowsupdate.microsoft.com service but it complained about my IE has to
be IE5.5 or higher. Where can I get Pocket PC IE CAB file for ARM platform?

Thanks

More about : windowsupdate pocket

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:07:59 AM

Windows Update is purely for your desktop PC...i.e.
Windows XP...Most updates for your particular Pocket PC
are usually vendor specific....

Hope this helps
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:24:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

Actually, if I'm not mistaken Windows CE is installed on a ROM chip
which means that it can't be updated using windowsupdate. The only
option is to replace the ROM. As a side note, IE on your PocketPC is a
essentially a condensed version of IE similar to PocketWord &
PocketExcel being condesed versions of Word/Excel.

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Hi, I have pocket pc 2003 - iPAQ h1935 and I'd like to utilize the
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com service but it complained about my IE has to
> be IE5.5 or higher. Where can I get Pocket PC IE CAB file for ARM platform?
>
> Thanks
December 21, 2004 6:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

Hello Sarah,

The windows update website service cannot be used by the PPCs. All updates
concerning the PPCs are provided via the OEM's. In your case HP,

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

--
Regards,
Raj Pillai

"Sarah Tanembaum" <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have pocket pc 2003 - iPAQ h1935 and I'd like to utilize the
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com service but it complained about my IE has to
> be IE5.5 or higher. Where can I get Pocket PC IE CAB file for ARM
> platform?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 10:49:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

On 21 Dec 2004, "David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net>
pondered an unfair universe and came up with

> Actually, if I'm not mistaken Windows CE is installed on a ROM
> chip which means that it can't be updated using windowsupdate. The

You are, and aren't mistaken. It's not really on a ROM chip, it's on a
flash chip, and can be updated. But it can't be updated through
Windowsupdate, since the PPC world is very different from the PC world.
The different manufacturers of PPCs are the sole source for updates,
and most don't offer them, and when they do, it's model specific (I
know this is the case for Dell).

AFAIK, no PPC manufacturer lets you do major updates, like from WM2002
to 2003, or WM2003 to 2003SE.

The PPC world, unlike the PC world, is *not* "open architecture" to the
end user.

--
StephG
Anonymous

David C. Holley wrote:
> The question at hand is wether or not you have a NEED for the new
> features - or is it just a WANT. If the PocketPC has been doing
> everything that you need it to, then I would suggest that you don't have
> a NEED for the new features - they're a NICE to have, but not neccessary.

Uh huh. What happens when people begin writing worms that target
Windows Mobile, PIE, etc..

http://news.com.com/Hybrid+Trojan+horse+aims+at+Symbian...

Then updates will become necessary, and not simply NICE to have.

Food for thought.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 2:19:39 AM

On 22 Dec 2004, Adam Herscher <ahersche@umich.edu> pondered an

> David C. Holley wrote:
>> The question at hand is wether or not you have a NEED for the new
>> features - or is it just a WANT. If the PocketPC has been doing
>> everything that you need it to, then I would suggest that you
>> don't have a NEED for the new features - they're a NICE to have,
>> but not neccessary.
>>

> Uh huh. What happens when people begin writing worms that target
> Windows Mobile, PIE, etc..
>
> http://news.com.com/Hybrid+Trojan+horse+aims+at+Symbian...
> -7349_3-5500229.html?tag=nefd.top
>
> Then updates will become necessary, and not simply NICE to have.
>
> Food for thought.

By the time MS releases security updates for Win2K, it's usually moot.
We'll have to use 3rd party software to plug the holes. In any case,
they could easily write security updates for PPC devices without
offering an updated OS, the same way they do for installed versions of
W2K. Butt...

There are dozens of Trojans that even a fully updated W2K machine are
vulnerable to. What I'd like is something like TeaTimer that informs
you when something tries to alter the Registry. (The latest one I had
to deal with replaced Windows Media Player and when you download
something that plays on it, installs and launches a bunch of adware
popups, and you have to manually comb through directories and the
Registry to eliminate them).

What I'd really like to see is an end to web sites that use scripts,
Active-X, Flash and Java, and just do everything in HTML. And a Flash
player that only plays animation without any capability of executing
other types of scripts. And you have to be smart and not use free
software that doesn't come from reputable web sites.

--
StephG
Anonymous

Or at lest DHMTL only....

StephG wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2004, Adam Herscher <ahersche@umich.edu> pondered an
> unfair universe and came up with
>

>>David C. Holley wrote:
>>
>>>The question at hand is wether or not you have a NEED for the new
>>>features - or is it just a WANT. If the PocketPC has been doing
>>>everything that you need it to, then I would suggest that you
>>>don't have a NEED for the new features - they're a NICE to have,
>>>but not neccessary.
>>>

>>Uh huh. What happens when people begin writing worms that target
>>Windows Mobile, PIE, etc..
>>
>>http://news.com.com/Hybrid+Trojan+horse+aims+at+Symbian...
>>-7349_3-5500229.html?tag=nefd.top
>>
>>Then updates will become necessary, and not simply NICE to have.
>>
>>Food for thought.
>

> By the time MS releases security updates for Win2K, it's usually moot.
> We'll have to use 3rd party software to plug the holes. In any case,
> they could easily write security updates for PPC devices without
> offering an updated OS, the same way they do for installed versions of
> W2K. Butt...
>
> There are dozens of Trojans that even a fully updated W2K machine are
> vulnerable to. What I'd like is something like TeaTimer that informs
> you when something tries to alter the Registry. (The latest one I had
> to deal with replaced Windows Media Player and when you download
> something that plays on it, installs and launches a bunch of adware
> popups, and you have to manually comb through directories and the
> Registry to eliminate them).
>
> What I'd really like to see is an end to web sites that use scripts,
> Active-X, Flash and Java, and just do everything in HTML. And a Flash
> player that only plays animation without any capability of executing
> other types of scripts. And you have to be smart and not use free
> software that doesn't come from reputable web sites.

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:39:41 AM

On 22 Dec 2004, "David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net>
pondered an unfair universe and came up with
news:o r$IcHI6EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Or at lest DHMTL only....

The opinion I've long held is that there is absolutely no excuse for MS
not to have the latest versions of its PPC OS completely file
compatible with PCs. Anything the two year old IE 5.5 could do, should
have at least followed on PIE a year later.

And if PPCs don't have enough memory, that's not their problem. If they
raise the need for more memory like they did with PCs, then people will
get more memory. PPCs are still locked in the same memory and storage
packaging as they were nearly 5 years ago.

While I think OS updates might be impractical, at least specific
outdated program updates should be available to install in BIS. Pocket
Outlook and PIE are jokes.

--
StephG
Anonymous