Solved

Windows 7(64-Bit) Event Viewer?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Event Viewer
  • Events
Last response: in Windows 7
May 13, 2011 2:55:29 AM

I vaguely understand what the Event Viewer is but I do not have the slightest clue as to what the "events" mean. First I open event viewer then I click Administrative Events and it says that 199 events were found. Most of them are warnings but quite a few are errors. The warning that constantly showing up the most is Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected. Another Warning that has popped up 4 times in a row was Request to physical disk 0 has timed out. The most recent error said that the application specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM server application with the CLSID. What does this all mean and should I be worrying?! I am so unbelievably concerned and confused as this has been my first computer build and I know little on the subject. ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

More about : windows bit event viewer

a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 7:25:10 PM

The Event Viewer is a troubleshooting tool that should be reserved for those experienced with the internal workings of Windows, or when you are directed to do so by an experienced troubleshooter.
m
l
May 14, 2011 2:04:08 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
The Event Viewer is a troubleshooting tool that should be reserved for those experienced with the internal workings of Windows, or when you are directed to do so by an experienced troubleshooter.

Okay so in essence you are telling me not to worry and to stay away from Event Viewer?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
May 15, 2011 1:40:02 AM

Unfortunately Event Viewer is both an important tool for finding out problems with your system and at the same time an inscrutable fountain of gobbledygook. Virtually every Windows system will have errors reported in the Event log for stuff that is absolutely routine and of no importance to anyone - but at the same time you can also find critical problems such as failures to write blocks to the disk.

You can find software to monitor the event log (Google "event log monitor"). The key is to watch for errors and alerts over a week or two, find out which ones seem to be harmless and configure the software to ignore them.
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2011 5:08:26 PM

sminlal said:
Unfortunately Event Viewer is both an important tool for finding out problems with your system and at the same time an inscrutable fountain of gobbledygook.

Exactly!
m
l
May 17, 2011 2:23:08 AM

Best answer selected by CDAHL.
m
l
!