Sign in with
Your question

Whats a good socket 478 processor for my shuttle?

Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2006 3:21:27 AM

I'm an AMD guy, so I don't know that much about pentium stuff. Heres my setup, I have a shuttle G2 (socket 478) which supports 800 fsb. I'm looking to upgrade its processor, to my knowledge socket 478 supports the northwood, prescott and the Core Duo.

Right now, I'm using a 2.6 celeron. I'm planning on running a radeon x800 xt aiw and adding a gig of ram. This is my secondary, lower type gaming/media machine, so upgrading to a new am2 shuttle isn't worth the extra money. I'm semi cheap so any extreme editions are pretty much out of the question, plus they run too hot for this machine anyways.

Considering heat (this doesn't have the best cooling), power consumpion (this thing only has like 250W), and speed (I still need it for games), what is the best processor for my setup?
August 5, 2006 4:14:21 AM

Quote:
to my knowledge socket 478 supports the northwood, prescott and the Core Duo.

Core Duo is socket 479, not 478.

I'd stick with a Northwood. I think Intel got them to 3.4Ghz. It's not worth the extra heat for the insignificant gains that a Prescott is going to offer you. You can probably find the best deals on a 2.8 or a 3.0. I wouldn't spend the extra money on anything faster as you don't need it for media, and if you do need more than 3Ghz for a game, you'll probably need a top-end graphics card too.

If you do decide to go Prescott, be careful when you order, as most are socket 775.
August 5, 2006 7:08:00 AM

Quote:
to my knowledge socket 478 supports the northwood, prescott and the Core Duo.

Core Duo is socket 479, not 478.

I'd stick with a Northwood. I think Intel got them to 3.4Ghz. It's not worth the extra heat for the insignificant gains that a Prescott is going to offer you. You can probably find the best deals on a 2.8 or a 3.0. I wouldn't spend the extra money on anything faster as you don't need it for media, and if you do need more than 3Ghz for a game, you'll probably need a top-end graphics card too.

If you do decide to go Prescott, be careful when you order, as most are socket 775.Yeah, i'd look for a 3.0C or something on eBay. The 3.2's and 3.4's will still be going for too much money.

PS. If you decide to go Prescott, maybe try for one like mine. 2.4A(533FSB) 1MB cache. That way it won't pump out quite so much heat, but if your mobo allows, and you want more power....it overclocks to over 3GHz easily. Plus they're cheap. GL :) 
!