Unable to boot/post on new system(s). Need help please.

bw8755

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I started with the MSI K9N SLI Platinum, AMD AM2 3800+ Orleans, 2x1024MB OCZ Gold 667 and XFX 7600GT XXX, power supply was Antec True Power 430 watt 12V+ 20A. Unit would not boot, fans would all spin for about 5 seconds and unit would shut off. After extensive tech support crawling, I tried another stick of RAM (K-Byte 533) as well as the Antec HE 550 watt 12V+1 18A, 12V+ 2 18A, 12V+ 3 18A. Same issue. Was suggested a bad mobo. RMA’d, replacement does same thing.

Suggested compatibility issues with memory (so I get Corsair 2x1024MB 800 C5) and was told by another it would be a bad CPU so I RMA the CPU. AMD tests the CPU as fine, suggest a different brand/model of mobo.

OK, so I order the ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wireless. While I’m at it I decide to upgrade the processor to an X2 4200 (thanks to the recent price drop).

Now the system consists of the ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wireless, AMD AM2 X2 4200, Corsair 2x1024MB 800 C5, XFX 7600GT XXX, Antec HE 550 watt 12V+1 18A, 12V+ 2 18A, 12V+ 3 18A. Same exact results. Shuts off after 5 seconds. Now I think, ok maybe bad GPU, so I grab a cheap 7300 from BB and same results. Every component has been replaced, been tested and trouble shot. I am out of ideas. The only thing I can come up with is possibly not enough power. The Antec sounds like it should be enough, 3 rails, 18A each. Could this setup need higher Amperage on either rail, or single rail? If so, just how high? What about wattage? The Asus manual suggest 600 watts on a system with beefier components than I am using (FX-62, 4GB RAM, 7950 GPU).

For the record, the systems have been built out of case to eliminate standoff issues, The CPU has been reseated multiple times and countless other little things to check on. I am running trying it barebones, currently only the CPU/GPU/RAM are installed. Have tried RAM 1 & 2 stick variations, reset CMOS, etc.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I have been at this for 29 days, out a ton of money without a working system (note I have been building systems since 97. I also am a tech support rep for consumer electronics company, not computer stuff, so I am familiar with troubleshooting steps, procedures, etc so I am not new at this, but I have never been so stumped in my life).

If I left anything out, ask. I am open to suggestions. Thanks

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The best place to start is to disconnect everything except power supply, CPU, soft power and speaker. If it gives lots of beeps then put one stick of memory in, if it's still beeping continue to put one item at a time back in until you get no post.
That will be the problem.
Good Luck :)

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Does it do anything other then shut off does it try to reboot again or just shut off? You can't get it to post so that doesn't help. :-/ Have you tried testing the power supply in another computer? I'm guessing it's the power supply. Just don't quote me on that one. I hope you fix it soon man that's along time to wait trying to get a system up and running.

bw8755

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
No, it just shuts itself off after 4-5 seconds. I then have to either flip the switch on the PSU or remove/replace the jumper on the PWR Switch on the mobo.

Curtoid

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
A possibility is the power supply which you don't say you replaced. You should definitely try another power supply. Antec make great power supplies but you still may have a faulty one. The fact that it's turning itself off indicates a possible problem there.

I had nearly the same problem once (would not post). I RMA'd the RAM and the MB and both tested OK. It turned out to be the DDR memory, but not incompatible or bad memory. I had bought "high-performance" TwinX Corsair memory which had factory set timings that were too aggressive for the motherboard, even though it was a premium MB. The solution was to buy a single stick of cheap "low performance" RAM, boot with it, change the timings in the BIOS, and then re-boot with my fast RAM. It took me a month to figure that out! Saw the answer on the forums.

Good luck! I feel your pain.....