new intel and amd chips

Dragonking666

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
could some one plz explain to me why intel or amd is better i mean the Fx-62 compared to the Conroe, i was looking at the benchmarks and i saw that intel has faster load times but i dont understand why, also i dont know very much about computers. if you help me thx :D

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Oh boy...

The benchmarks are just comparasions of what each chip can do running, not loading, particular programs, from games to applications.

As for which is better? Neither. It all depends on what you intend to do or brag about, mostly.

If you don't need a top of the line rig, then any budget chip will do fine, from either company. Both are slashing prices like Jack the Ripper in a brothel (ok, bad analogy, I know), but this is a great time for CPU consumers, imo.

If you want the fastest, slickest, and expensive system, then you can either go with the FX-62 or X6800. Both are not cheap to build from scratch, especially if you add on video, sound, and other knick knacks.

So, it's all what you want. If you want to game, you don't need the most expensive CPU, more than a damn good video card. Video editing/encoding, CPU is good, but so is more memory. So, look at what you want to do, and buy accordingly.

Time for bed...

Dragonking666

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
thx, well my friend hes obsessed with having the best crap out there and he keeps say that a mid range new intel chip beats a high ranged amd, and its not that expensive, i really wanted a Fx-60 for the longest time, but now with all this new stuff out its hard to choose. when i do play games its halo 1 (i know its gay but its super fun) or Qauke 4 and Fear.i know once i get the new processor im getting a 7900 gt. but i still am stumped about which processor and now that i think about it i dont really wanna drop 800 bucks for a processor. what do you think i should do? i know i want a duel core for sure though.

mpjesse

Splendid
I guess my suggestion is this: go read up on the technical details of both chips in the reviews. In most major reviews, writers will do a brief technical workings summary of the CPU. Then you will understand why Core 2 Duo is faster than the FX-62 and vice versa.

The easiest way to find reviews is by googling "core 2 duo review" or "Athlon FX-62 review"

Anandtech, THG, Xbit, Firingsquad, TrustedReviews, ExtremeTech, AMDZone are all good sites to read up on. Some of the overclocker sites are good too. (sorry if I left any good one's out. those were at the top of my head)

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Guess sleep can wait...

If you can wait, I'd just see what the prices look like in September or even October. They might go a tad lower than it is today. Not a huge jump, but a little skip down.

Get that 7900GT first, if you're system can run the games you play at a decent rate. If it stutters more than you like, you might consider buying an upgrade CPU for the board you have, and not build a new system right away. That way you can get both the video card, and a new CPU for a decent price. If you're still rocking with an AMD 939, there are some really good bargins for them right now. If you have an intel board, the Pentium Ds aren't a bad choice for the time being. Either way, you can keep humming away with your existing gear, and even upgrade 1 or 2 items without going broke. Then you can save up for Core 2 Duo or that FX you want.

Of course, by late November, mid-December, Quad cores might be around the corner, and that's a whole new bunch of wants and needs to be looked at.

Dragonking666

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
im still stuck with a agp board im think that i can buy a pic-e mobo soon and and then the 7900, i have amd Anthlon ( i think thats how you spell it) 3500 i got it to a 2.5 lol and i have a 6800 agp, its an xt new from xfx i like it, but i wanna play quake wars when it comes out on the max settings ^_^ well thanks alot for your help

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Okay, now that I know you have an older board...you might want to save a bit to upgrade to a newer setup.

The AM2 or C2D compatible board would be the best path. That way you still have an upgrade path, and you will be able to use PCI-E video cards. Both use DDR2 memory, which might help costs, if you switch from one to the other, too.

Good luck.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
thx, well my friend hes obsessed with having the best crap out there and he keeps say that a mid range new intel chip beats a high ranged amd, and its not that expensive, i really wanted a Fx-60 for the longest time, but now with all this new stuff out its hard to choose. when i do play games its halo 1 (i know its gay but its super fun) or Qauke 4 and Fear.i know once i get the new processor im getting a 7900 gt. but i still am stumped about which processor and now that i think about it i dont really wanna drop 800 bucks for a processor. what do you think i should do? i know i want a duel core for sure though.

As jumping jack gracefully posted to another, here are the technical reasons you will get the Core 2 Duo

Performance (speed) = Instruction Retired Per Clock X Clock rate

Here is how it works, these are just examples (I do not have the exact per clock instructions retired numbers, but this illustrates the point):

P4
Performance (speed) = 2.0 on average instruction retired per clock tick X 3.73 GHz = 7.46 Giga Instructions per second

AMD Athlon
Performance (speed) = 3.2 on average instruction retired per clock tick x 2.8 GHz = 8.96 Giga Instructions per second.

I.e. AMD is faster.

Core 2 Duo Extreme
Performance (speed) = 4.8 on average instructions retired per clock tick x 2.93 GHz = 14.1 Giga Instructions per second

Core 2 Duo beats them all!!

Basically, for each clock tick Core 2 Duo fetches and retires more instructions than each clock tick for an Athlon or P4. It goes into his order:
Core 2 Duo > Athlon K8 > Netburst P4s

So even though they run at different (and in the Core 2 Duo/K8 case slower clocks), the actual computational performance is different depending on the number of instructions that can be computed per clock tick.

It is that simple.

Dragonking666

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Me thinks he's have a lend. How can anyone who comes to Toms not understand anything. 8O

i understand basic stuff my friend is slowly teaching me how the hard ware works exactly. i started learning about it last year in december when he help me put my computer together, i wasted alot of money for stupid things, but i like my razer mouse and Saitek keyboard >< and the 680 PSU i have >< at that time my processor was like 240 bucks now i think its hundred. oh well

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I believe when listening to advice take it all in, then pick the part from each person advice you like and use that. No one person will be 100% right.
8) Alot of people a biased in one way or another, I try not to be but will admit to failing in that aim.
Start small and build your knowledge and your system as your confidence grows.
Remember your building for you :D

TRENDING THREADS