d805 and Conroe OC mobo

arcanine

Distinguished
May 28, 2005
Hi all,
I am intending to build a new rig and I would like to buy a d805 now and then buy a conroe chip later when it becomes cheaper.

I m thinking :

motherboard : asus P5B deluxe
http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=1179&modelmenu=1
I am guessing it would be a nice mobo to Overclock both the d805 and conroe stably (can this board handle the conroe extreme?) .

ram : 1 gig OCZ ddr2 675 5400 or 1 gig corsair ddr2 667 5300 ?
In the mobo website, it says Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533...
why dont I see a 675 there? that means i cant use the OCZ ddr2 675?..

I am pretty new to overclocking so it would be nice if anyone can give opinions and hardware opinions on which I should buy. btw I am also using water cooling (thermaltake tribe, affordable :D) and would hope to overclock both chips stably.
thank yous in advance

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
That board will support DDR2 675 but I've herd of lots of people having problems using OCZ on Asus boards. If you going to OC the 805 you will need an aftermarket cooler just don't spend too much because it ruins the value of the processor. If it takes $250 worth of cooling to overclock your $100 CPU you should just get a $300 CPU. A good heat sink and fan can be had for under $50 and that should take you around 3.5GHz on that chip.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
you will need an aftermarket cooler just don't spend too much because it ruins the value of the processor. If it takes $250 worth of cooling to overclock your $100 CPU you should just get a $300 CPU
I dont think spending $250 on cooling is too much. Its not like a cooling device is used for only one CPU. You will have that cooling device for many CPUs if its a quality product. The cost of the cooling cant be lumped with the price of the CPU.

and would hope to overclock both chips stably
The d805 will run hotter. Just make sure the wattage the CPU sucks matches the wattage of cooling capacity.

I recommend the Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

Good plan Arcanine. Keep us posted.

-M

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
If you planned to get water cooling anyway then that doesn't even come into the equation.

I won't be going corsair ram.

You need a good PSU 500 TP or better, again you should have this anyway.

So why not get the D805, I just threw one into an Asrock 775Dual-vsta cheap motherboard and got it stable at 3.4GHz. The motherboard is also Conroe ready. Not saying to change boards, just saying that mine OCed very easy in a very low end motherboard.

if not I won't be looking at the D915 or D945 although you are getting up to the E6300 price with the D945.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
D805 will give you more trouble than anything when you want to use it on a mobo that supports Conroe.
A D930 is much easier to overclock, better performance/$ and puts a lot less load on your mobo & HSF.
Evertime someone mentions the d805 wusy has something negative to say. Its cheap and it overclocks, those are facts. Some people have had troubles but some have had none. The people who did have problems are more compelled to write about it in a forum, or anyone who will listen.

I wouldnt let it scare you off though.

-M

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
An OC'd 805 is certinaly a good performer it's just will all the recent price cuts I think there are some good alternitives out there in the same price range.

arcanine

Distinguished
May 28, 2005
An OC'd 805 is certinaly a good performer it's just will all the recent price cuts I think there are some good alternitives out there in the same price range.

I'm sorry I didnt get what you mean..you mean 805 is better or that there are better alternative chips having the same price range as the d805.?

To Wusy
I think I've seen that website about the 805 being not that good...but like after a few weeks, this website also came up http://www.overclockers.com/articles1344/index02.asp
(from http://forumz.tomshardware.com/DIY-GHz-Dual-Core-Gaming-Rig-720ftopic-187828-days0-orderasc-125.html)
so I still think the d805 is pretty "bang for your buck" thing....hmm

The price ranges for the d900 chips are nearly getting the same as the cheapest conroe chips..so i guess if im getting a high end 900 chip(which is definetely smaller and efficient and perform better than d805)
I would still go for the conroe...

btw Im getting bad recommendations about the corsair and the OCZ rams lol
I thought they would be pretty good performers...I guess I would buy the gskill rams caz they are more cheaper as well hmm btw does the speed in the ram matters? like G SKILL F2-5400PHU2-1GBLA 4-4-4-12 and F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR 5-5-5-15...I m getting confused with all these numbers...??

Im sorry I also didnt seem to have posted that the motherboard im looking for is around the prices for the p5wd2 premium or the p5n32 sli (good OC results from other threads) but of course, the price could be a little bit more for the one im looking for...the p5wdh deluxe seems to be a little bit too expensive....
I'm living in australia so yeaeh....i dont have much choices in the motherboards...Im planning to buy the computer off this store
http://www.itestate.com.au/category.asp?ctgcod=C10003062600151
and those are the (one of the cheapest stores in sydney) motherboards I could find..
thanks for all the replies....I would happily wait for yours as well :p

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Most people who read THG's retarded article don't know that and chooses the overpriced+lackful Zalman CNPS9500 to overheat their D805 when going over 3.6Ghz.
Only an idiot would have read the article and then tried to go over 3.6 with the Zalman cooler.
If they did, they read but didnt understand.
People like that get what they deserve. Even bad reputations :eek:

The P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe is nice but in the same price class as the P5W DH Deluxe. XBX same story. If you plan on having this board for more than one CPU, cant you justify a slightly more expensive MB? It seems worth the money to me.

-M

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
When I bought my 805 it was the only cpu in it's price range that could go into the 3.5 GHz and above range but now the AMD x2 3800 and the 9xx intels are available in the $150 and below. An oc'd 3800 x2 or 920 can get you just as good performance without the heat and power issues. The 805 dosn't have as big a lead in price/performance as it did a month ago.