Going back to Epson ink?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 11, 2005 7:38:28 PM

I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system) for
my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not full?
At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.

Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get it
to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
and put in the Epson cartridge, right?

--
- Alan Justice

More about : back epson ink

June 11, 2005 7:38:29 PM

Alan Justice wrote:
> I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system) for
> my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
> back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not full?
> At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>
> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get it
> to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
> and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

CFS's usually have good tech support from the seller. What are your
exact problems and what did their tech support have to say?
Frank
June 11, 2005 7:38:29 PM

> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get it
> to work at all.

While my Epson was the dye based printer, my symptoms were the same.
First the yellow went, then black and the other colors. No clue if
this is a cartridge problem or a clog problem, I would tend to believe
it was a clog problem.

But silly question, does MediaStreet not sell their ink in referbished
epson carts? Seems a logical step to isolate whether your
unspecified issues are a result of the CFS or the head.

The problem I see with re-using the an old set of ink where one went
empty is that purge cycle the printer goes through. When I was foolish
and replaced one, it purged them all and the rest became empty.
June 11, 2005 7:47:33 PM

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
for
> my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
> back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
full?
> At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.

Weigh them if you have digital scales or balance them on a ruler/seesaw.
June 11, 2005 7:53:22 PM

Are these the spongeless cartridges used in the continuous flow system?
There are postings about some spongeless cartridges designed for the Canon
printers (bci-6) on http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Exclusive of the possibility of being used in a continuous flow system, they
didn't work all that well without some special management. There is a
fairly precise balance of ink retention to prevent leaking, internal
pressure regulation, air flow to balance ink output, etc. that the
cartridges seem to maintain best with the built-in sponges on Canon carts.
Might be true as well with Epson. Others may be interested in knowing,
however, if the inks from Mediastreet were safe and a good color match.

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
> for
> my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
> back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
> full?
> At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>
> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
> it
> to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
> and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:01:07 PM

Burt wrote:

>Are these the spongeless cartridges used in the continuous flow system?
>There are postings about some spongeless cartridges designed for the Canon
>printers (bci-6) on http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
>
>Exclusive of the possibility of being used in a continuous flow system, they
>didn't work all that well without some special management. There is a
>fairly precise balance of ink retention to prevent leaking,

What a headache. Is the focus on phtography or on tinkering with printers?

>internal
>pressure regulation, air flow to balance ink output, etc. that the
>cartridges seem to maintain best with the built-in sponges on Canon carts.
>Might be true as well with Epson. Others may be interested in knowing,
>however, if the inks from Mediastreet were safe and a good color match.
>
>"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
>

>>I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
>>for
>>my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
>>back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
>>full?
>>At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>>
>>Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
>>cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
>>it
>>to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
>>and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>>
>>--
>>- Alan Justice

June 11, 2005 10:03:14 PM

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
for
> my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
> back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
full?
> At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>
> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
it
> to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
> and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

I have an Epson Stylus COLOR 880 printer and have used compatible
cartridges
for the last three years with excellent results.
I find the photo paper I use affects the quality of prints and find that
Epson Photo gloss paper gives a superior result.
I use Choice Stationary at www.choucestationary.com
Blair
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:57:50 PM

Frank wrote:

> Alan Justice wrote:
>
>> I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow
>> system) for
>> my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can
>> I put
>> back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
>> full?
>> At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>>
>> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
>> cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't
>> get it
>> to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
>> tubing,
>> and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>>
>> --
>> - Alan Justice
>>

> CFS's usually have good tech support from the seller. What are your
> exact problems and what did their tech support have to say?
> Frank

It is AfterMarket ink! :-(
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:25:44 AM

I am not surprised Mediastreet's CFS does not work with their ink.
In fact, some people have luck to prevent clogging, most of dont.

this is because of the sponged CFS cartridge that mediastreet sell.

To solve this problem, you can buy spongeless CFS and still use
Mediastreet's ink.

Spongeless based CFS:
http://www.inkrepublic.com

Mediastreet ink:
http://www.mediastreet.com
June 12, 2005 2:25:02 PM

> Please explain about this purge system. Are you saying that if I put back
> the partially-used Epson cartridge, they will all go empty?

I'm saying if you replace one cartridge, provided that you use the
reccomended method of replacing them, it will purge them all.

I don't have an accurate measure of how much it purges. Might be 1ml,
might be 3ml. I have no idea. There is so much ink that just hangs in
the tubes there is no real way for me to measure. I can say that when
one read empty and the others read 10%, and I replaced one, they all
dropped to 0% except the full one.

The CSS utility does permit changing and has a manual button to purge
either black or color, but not any singular color.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:55:29 PM

Good. So what inks are you using?

--
- Alan Justice

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 8f5gi$173$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> > I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
> for
> > my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
put
> > back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
> full?
> > At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
> >
> > Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> > cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
> it
> > to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
tubing,
> > and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice
>
> I have an Epson Stylus COLOR 880 printer and have used compatible
> cartridges
> for the last three years with excellent results.
> I find the photo paper I use affects the quality of prints and find that
> Epson Photo gloss paper gives a superior result.
> I use Choice Stationary at www.choucestationary.com
> Blair

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:02:14 PM

I've been in contact with their tech for months. I've tried everything, and
some things get better, but it's still a pain.

2 main promblems with MediaStreet:

1) Ink is fragile. The exit rollers cause scuffing as the print comes off
(their are some rather elaborate procedures to raise the rollers, but only
just enough, and the configuration is different for each type of paper).
Other rollers cause "pizza wheel" marks. Raising exit rollers appears to
affect these too, but then the print is not held during the final part of
printing. Also, the prints, even after drying a couple of days, scratch
very easily.

2) Cartridges clog (these are MS cartridges, attached by tubing to ink
bottles outside the printer). Usually it's yellow that clogs. It generally
starts up by itself, as none of my manipulations have reliabley helped. But
now I can't get the yellow to print at all.

--
- Alan Justice

"Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Alan Justice wrote:
> > I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
for
> > my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
put
> > back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
full?
> > At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
> >
> > Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> > cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
it
> > to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
tubing,
> > and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice
> >

> CFS's usually have good tech support from the seller. What are your
> exact problems and what did their tech support have to say?
> Frank
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:03:42 PM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> > cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
it
> > to work at all.
>
> While my Epson was the dye based printer, my symptoms were the same.
> First the yellow went, then black and the other colors. No clue if
> this is a cartridge problem or a clog problem, I would tend to believe
> it was a clog problem.
>
> But silly question, does MediaStreet not sell their ink in referbished
> epson carts? Seems a logical step to isolate whether your
> unspecified issues are a result of the CFS or the head.
>
> The problem I see with re-using the an old set of ink where one went
> empty is that purge cycle the printer goes through. When I was foolish
> and replaced one, it purged them all and the rest became empty.

June 12, 2005 9:30:16 PM

Sorry. I get both paper and inks from Choice Stationary
Blair

--
Blair
> Good. So what inks are you using?
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 8f5gi$173$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >
> > "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> > > I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow
system)
> > for
> > > my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
> put
> > > back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
> > full?
> > > At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> > > cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't
get
> > it
> > > to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
> tubing,
> > > and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
> > >
> > > --
> > > - Alan Justice
> >
> > I have an Epson Stylus COLOR 880 printer and have used compatible
> > cartridges
> > for the last three years with excellent results.
> > I find the photo paper I use affects the quality of prints and find that
> > Epson Photo gloss paper gives a superior result.
> > I use Choice Stationary at www.choucestationary.com
> > Blair

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:28:06 PM

What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?

These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.

These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
causing clotting or falling out of suspension.

Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.

Art

Alan Justice wrote:

> I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system) for
> my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
> back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not full?
> At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>
> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get it
> to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
> and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:32:33 PM

I can't speak for Canon's but the spongeless systems, from all reports
I've received are superior to the those with sponges on Epson printers.

Epson inks tend to foam, have pigments in some cases which gets
accumulated in the sponge and the sponge can also just develop air into
the ink creating some fairly regular gaps.

Also, if the air vent at the bottle is not opened the correct amount, or
if think has settles at the base of the bottle, this is a common problem.

Art

Burt wrote:

> Are these the spongeless cartridges used in the continuous flow system?
> There are postings about some spongeless cartridges designed for the Canon
> printers (bci-6) on http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
>
> Exclusive of the possibility of being used in a continuous flow system, they
> didn't work all that well without some special management. There is a
> fairly precise balance of ink retention to prevent leaking, internal
> pressure regulation, air flow to balance ink output, etc. that the
> cartridges seem to maintain best with the built-in sponges on Canon carts.
> Might be true as well with Epson. Others may be interested in knowing,
> however, if the inks from Mediastreet were safe and a good color match.
>
> "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
>
>>I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
>>for
>>my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
>>back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
>>full?
>>At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>>
>>Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
>>cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
>>it
>>to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
>>and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>>
>>--
>>- Alan Justice

June 13, 2005 8:45:12 PM

MIS instructions for refilling Epson carts for my old Stylus color 900
involved using a 60 cc syringe and pulling a vacuum on the bottom of the
carts to remove as much ink foam as possible from the sponge material and
then injecting the ink into the exit port with a bottom-fill adaptor to a
leur-lock syringe. this was an extra step they suggested because of the
retention of air and ink in the sponge which it retained in a foamy state,
preventing absorption of ink when refilling. Canon carts, on the other
hand, have the reservoir adjacent to the sponge area from which the ink is
drawn, first into the sponge and then through the exit port on demand for
printing. OEM Canon carts have two different densities of sponge in the
cart, one on top of the other. This system seems to control ink flow better
than some of the attempts at new and innovative design, one of which is
spongeless. I am currently using MIS carts that I purchased empty and am
refilling. They have the more typical single piece of sponge that non-OEM
carts have that takes up refill inks more readily than the OEM carts and
work quite well. I have seen a series of posts on a spongeless Canon bci-6
cart used for refilling that was glitchy and sometimes didn't feed well. I
think that you are right in that the sponge in the Epson carts presents a
problem for refilling.

Another series of posts delved into the problem of Canon carts failing to
feed properly after several refills. It appears that some ink solidifies
near the exit port and prevents ink from feeding on demand. As an
experiment, a very innovative person backflushed the non-functioning carts
with hot water, vacuumed out the water, let them dry, and refilled them.
They then worked just fine. Not practical when you consider the low cost of
aftermarket carts that are designed to be refilled, but an interesting
experiment in cart function. While someone may criticize this as a waste of
time and "tinkering", it certainly adds to the base of knowledge for solving
problems when they occur.

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>I can't speak for Canon's but the spongeless systems, from all reports I've
>received are superior to the those with sponges on Epson printers.
>
> Epson inks tend to foam, have pigments in some cases which gets
> accumulated in the sponge and the sponge can also just develop air into
> the ink creating some fairly regular gaps.
>
> Also, if the air vent at the bottle is not opened the correct amount, or
> if think has settles at the base of the bottle, this is a common problem.
>
> Art
>
> Burt wrote:
>
>> Are these the spongeless cartridges used in the continuous flow system?
>> There are postings about some spongeless cartridges designed for the
>> Canon printers (bci-6) on http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
>>
>> Exclusive of the possibility of being used in a continuous flow system,
>> they didn't work all that well without some special management. There is
>> a fairly precise balance of ink retention to prevent leaking, internal
>> pressure regulation, air flow to balance ink output, etc. that the
>> cartridges seem to maintain best with the built-in sponges on Canon
>> carts. Might be true as well with Epson. Others may be interested in
>> knowing, however, if the inks from Mediastreet were safe and a good color
>> match.
>>
>> "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
>>>for
>>>my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
>>>put
>>>back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
>>>full?
>>>At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>>>
>>>Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
>>>cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
>>>it
>>>to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
>>>and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:26:10 PM

Sponge? Is that inside the cartridge? I wouldn't know. There's a set of
tubes that go from the ink bottles (4 oz. outside the printer) to the Media
Street cartridges, which look like the Epson cartridges except for the
tubing attachment.

--
- Alan Justice

> What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
>
> These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
>
> These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
> sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
> inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
> causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
>
> Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
>
> Art
>

> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> > I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
for
> > my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
put
> > back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
full?
> > At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
> >
> > Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> > cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
it
> > to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
tubing,
> > and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:28:38 PM

That's not my experience when I was using just the Epson cartridges. When
one went empty, I replaced it and the others went on merrily. I know it
does a "head (nozzle) cleaning" each time, but I have no idea how much ink
gets used. Based on the amount I clean from the foam on the cleaning
station, it isn't much for a single cleaning.

--

> > Please explain about this purge system. Are you saying that if I put
back
> > the partially-used Epson cartridge, they will all go empty?
>
> I'm saying if you replace one cartridge, provided that you use the
> reccomended method of replacing them, it will purge them all.
>
> I don't have an accurate measure of how much it purges. Might be 1ml,
> might be 3ml. I have no idea. There is so much ink that just hangs in
> the tubes there is no real way for me to measure. I can say that when
> one read empty and the others read 10%, and I replaced one, they all
> dropped to 0% except the full one.
>
> The CSS utility does permit changing and has a manual button to purge
> either black or color, but not any singular color.

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:52:50 PM

Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks? (Niagara
2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out how
not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and still
do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain each
time i print a different size print).

But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up. I
can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work it
out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted, cards).

--
- Alan Justice

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
>
> These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
>
> These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
> sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
> inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
> causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
>
> Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
>
> Art
>

> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> > I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
for
> > my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
put
> > back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
full?
> > At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
> >
> > Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
> > cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
it
> > to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
tubing,
> > and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice

June 13, 2005 11:56:12 PM

> Based on the amount I clean from the foam on the cleaning station,
> it isn't much for a single cleaning.

Current design is to have a pump driven by the pladen when going in
reverse. Assuming the 2200 is the same you're not going to see the
volume of ink in the cleaning station. If the 2200 is the same design
the foam you are seeing is likely the suction action mixing with air.
If you had your waste tube routed through to a jug you could see the
value. I must admit my experence is with the r200, and boy does it
purge.
June 14, 2005 1:01:35 AM

> It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.

Sure does. Clogs equaly well both ways.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:27:29 AM

> Can I put back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out,
> even though they're not full? At least one is empty, but
> I don't remember which.

Yes you can. I suggest the second solution below.

> Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the
> other MS cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously
> bad, and now I can't get it to work at all. I could just take
> out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing, and put in the
> Epson cartridge, right?

You are right. You can plug the tube, deattach the tube from cartridge, and
put an original cartridge in place of the yellow. I think I know about your
problem. If you want contact me via email in@mailbox.gr for further
discussion.

--
Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)

--

I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system) for
my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I put
back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not full?
At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.

Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get it
to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the tubing,
and put in the Epson cartridge, right?

--
- Alan Justice
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:46:33 AM

Alan Justice wrote:

>Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks? (Niagara
>2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out how
>not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and still
>do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain each
>time i print a different size print).
>
>But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
>spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
>I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
>avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
>draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
>the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up. I
>can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work it
>out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
>do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted, cards).
>
>--
>- Alan Justice
>

>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>

>>What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
>>
>>These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
>>
>>These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
>>sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
>>inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
>>causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
>>
>>Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
>>
>>Art
>>

>>Alan Justice wrote:
>>

>>>I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
>>>

>for
>

>>>my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
>>>

>put
>

>>>back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
>>>

>full?
>

>>>At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>>>
>>>Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
>>>cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
>>>

>it
>

>>>to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
>>>

>tubing,
>

>>>and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice

June 14, 2005 7:46:34 AM

measekite wrote:

> It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.

And which Epson printer(s) do you own and have the experience of using
3rd party inks in and that clogged your Epson printer?
We want to know...we're waiting!
Frank

P.S. FYI I just order 20 3rd party black carts and 10 color carts today.
Should be here by Wed.
Know how much $'s I saved (for about the 50th time)?
:-P
June 14, 2005 8:22:23 AM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.

What is really simple to understand is that Measekite has absolutely zero
experience with Epson aftermarket inks or with Epson printers and should
definitely refrain from putting his valueless two cents in where he has no
knowledge. The OP is using a continuous flow system for high volume
printing - something that commercial firms do with great success. These
systems can sometimes be tempermental.

> Alan Justice wrote:
>
>>Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks?
>>(Niagara
>>2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out
>>how
>>not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and
>>still
>>do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain
>>each
>>time i print a different size print).
>>
>>But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
>>spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
>>I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
>>avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
>>draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
>>the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up.
>>can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work
>>it
>>out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
>>do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted,
>>cards).
>>
>>--
>>- Alan Justice
>>

>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
>>>
>>>These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
>>>
>>>These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
>>>sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
>>>inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
>>>causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
>>>
>>>Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
>>>
>>>Art

>>for

>>put

>>full?

>>it

>>tubing,

June 14, 2005 10:14:43 AM

No it is not simple! Like most things in life it is a calculated balance.
You on the other hand are very simple, and manage to prove it at every
opportunity.
Tony

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.
>
>Alan Justice wrote:
>
>>Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks? (Niagara
>>2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out how
>>not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and still
>>do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain each
>>time i print a different size print).
>>
>>But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
>>spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
>>I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
>>avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
>>draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
>>the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up. I
>>can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work it
>>out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
>>do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted, cards).
>>
>>--
>>- Alan Justice
>>

>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>

>>>What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
>>>
>>>These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
>>>
>>>These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
>>>sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
>>>inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
>>>causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
>>>
>>>Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
>>>
>>>Art

>>for

>>put

>>full?

>>it

>>tubing,

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:07:12 PM

Hi Alan,

Mediastreet cartridges probably are with sponge inside. Its a system
that companies are moving away from, especially for pigmented inks.

Epson has removed the sponges form their ink cartridges since they moved
to the individual cartridges for each color. Ink Republic, for one, now
makes a spongeless CIS. I would ask Mediastreet what they are using for
your CIS.

Yellow ink is notoriously problematic, for dye and pigment. The
colorant tends to precipitate out. This is particularly true if the ink
is outdated, and uses a pigment colorant.

You may need to back flush your cartridge if it has a sponge in it.

Art

Alan Justice wrote:

> Sponge? Is that inside the cartridge? I wouldn't know. There's a set of
> tubes that go from the ink bottles (4 oz. outside the printer) to the Media
> Street cartridges, which look like the Epson cartridges except for the
> tubing attachment.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:09:30 PM

Initial purge for a new cartridge uses more ink than a regular head
cleaning, and all cartridges are involved. Some people have found that
they replace one cartridge, and by the time it's done, another is about
ready to be replaced, and so on.

Art

Alan Justice wrote:

> That's not my experience when I was using just the Epson cartridges. When
> one went empty, I replaced it and the others went on merrily. I know it
> does a "head (nozzle) cleaning" each time, but I have no idea how much ink
> gets used. Based on the amount I clean from the foam on the cleaning
> station, it isn't much for a single cleaning.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Please explain about this purge system. Are you saying that if I put
>
> back
>
>>>the partially-used Epson cartridge, they will all go empty?
>>
>>I'm saying if you replace one cartridge, provided that you use the
>>reccomended method of replacing them, it will purge them all.
>>
>>I don't have an accurate measure of how much it purges. Might be 1ml,
>>might be 3ml. I have no idea. There is so much ink that just hangs in
>>the tubes there is no real way for me to measure. I can say that when
>>one read empty and the others read 10%, and I replaced one, they all
>>dropped to 0% except the full one.
>>
>>The CSS utility does permit changing and has a manual button to purge
>>either black or color, but not any singular color.

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:20:32 PM

No, I have no personal experience with this system or inks. You may
wish to consider looking at the spongeless ink dampers being offered
lately by a few companies.

Art

Alan Justice wrote:

> Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks? (Niagara
> 2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out how
> not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and still
> do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain each
> time i print a different size print).
>
> But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
> spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
> I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
> avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
> draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
> the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up. I
> can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work it
> out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
> do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted, cards).
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>

> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
>>
>>These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
>>
>>These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
>>sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
>>inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
>>causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
>>
>>Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
>>
>>Art
>>

>>Alan Justice wrote:
>>

>>>I'm having so much trouble with MediaStreet ink (continuous flow system)
>
> for
>
>>>my Epson 2200 that I may go back to Epson, at 5 times the cost. Can I
>
> put
>
>>>back the orginal Epson cartridges I took out, even though they're not
>
> full?
>
>>>At least one is empty, but I don't remember which.
>>>
>>>Alternatively, I might just use the Epson yellow with the other MS
>>>cartridges. MS yellow cartridge is notoriously bad, and now I can't get
>
> it
>
>>>to work at all. I could just take out the MS cartridge, plug the
>
> tubing,
>
>>>and put in the Epson cartridge, right?
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice

June 14, 2005 4:25:15 PM

measekite wrote:

> Epson printers are more troublesome than Canon printers. They use more
> ink. The way they work is based on spending ink. But they are still a
> good printer, just expensive to use.

How many Epson's do you or have you owned?
Frank
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:15:55 PM

Duh...Its Tony Da Tiger who is in the printer business. So what is the
ulterior motive in his advice?

Tony wrote:

>No it is not simple! Like most things in life it is a calculated balance.
>You on the other hand are very simple, and manage to prove it at every
>opportunity.
>Tony
>
>measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>

>>It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.
>>
>>Alan Justice wrote:
>>

>>>Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks? (Niagara
>>>2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out how
>>>not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and still
>>>do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain each
>>>time i print a different size print).
>>>
>>>But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
>>>spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
>>>I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
>>>avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
>>>draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
>>>the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up. I
>>>can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work it
>>>out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
>>>do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted, cards).
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice
>>>

>>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>>for

>>>put

>>>full?

>>>it

>>>tubing,

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:23:13 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.
>

> And which Epson printer(s) do you own and have the experience of using
> 3rd party inks in and that clogged your Epson printer?
> We want to know...we're waiting!
> Frank
>
> P.S. FYI I just order 20 3rd party black carts and 10 color carts
> today. Should be here by Wed.
> I do not know what brand they are and if I have trouble I will go to
> someone else. May get the same thing who knows but look at the money.
> :-P

That is what I have been trying to say. Frankie Crankie needs a Spankie.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:25:52 PM

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.
>>

>What is really simple to understand is that Measekite has absolutely zero
>experience with Epson aftermarket inks or with Epson printers and should
>definitely refrain from putting his valueless two cents in where he has no
>knowledge. The OP is using a continuous flow system for high volume
>printing - something that commercial firms do with great success. These
>systems can sometimes be tempermental.

JUST LIKE YOU

>>Alan Justice wrote:
>>

>>>Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks?
>>>(Niagara
>>>2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out
>>>how
>>>not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and
>>>still
>>>do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain
>>>each
>>>time i print a different size print).
>>>
>>>But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
>>>spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
>>>I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
>>>avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
>>>draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
>>>the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up.
>>>can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work
>>>it
>>>out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14 ml -
>>>do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted,
>>>cards).
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice
>>>

>>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>>for

>>>put

>>>full?

>>>it

>>>tubing,

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:10:54 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Epson printers are more troublesome than Canon printers. They use
>> more ink. The way they work is based on spending ink. But they are
>> still a good printer, just expensive to use.
>

> How many Epson's do you or have you owned?
> Frank

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=2&u=/p...
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:53:02 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:09:30 GMT, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

>Initial purge for a new cartridge uses more ink than a regular head
>cleaning, and all cartridges are involved. Some people have found that
>they replace one cartridge, and by the time it's done, another is about
>ready to be replaced, and so on.

Yes, that's why a CIS is better. Though the new 2400 does, I believe,
only purge whatever new cartridge you put in.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

I'd like to know how they are going to handle that... Would require a
complete redesign of the cleaning station.

Art

Hecate wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:09:30 GMT, Arthur Entlich
> <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>Initial purge for a new cartridge uses more ink than a regular head
>>cleaning, and all cartridges are involved. Some people have found that
>>they replace one cartridge, and by the time it's done, another is about
>>ready to be replaced, and so on.
>>

> Yes, that's why a CIS is better. Though the new 2400 does, I believe,
> only purge whatever new cartridge you put in.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:37:00 PM

True, but the cost of Epson ink actually prices me out of one particular
important market (I sell my stuff), so I really have to find an alternative.

--
- Alan Justice

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.
>
> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> >Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks?
(Niagara
> >2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out
how
> >not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and
still
> >do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain
each
> >time i print a different size print).
> >
> >But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
> >spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
> >I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
> >avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
> >draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
> >the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up.
> >can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work
it
> >out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14
ml -
> >do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted,
cards).

> >--
> >- Alan Justice
> >

> >"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >

> >>What type of CIS are you using, is it sponged or spongeless?
> >>
> >>These days I recommend spongeless types which use ink dampers.
> >>
> >>These newer types provide much more reliable service. The ones with
> >>sponges tend to trap air, foam and pigment over time. Yellow pigment
> >>inks can be problematical, and also it tends to age more rapidly as ink,
> >>causing clotting or falling out of suspension.
> >>
> >>Consider a spongeless system, even for that one ink color.
> >>
> >>Art

> >for

> >put

> >full?

> >it

> >tubing,

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:12:08 PM

How can you sell AfterMarket stuff to a customer? The difference is
probably a buck more for a print.

Alan Justice wrote:

>True, but the cost of Epson ink actually prices me out of one particular
>important market (I sell my stuff), so I really have to find an alternative.
>
>--
>- Alan Justice
>
>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>It is simple. Epson inks for Epson printers should work best.
>>
>>Alan Justice wrote:
>>

>>>Do you have experience with the Epson 2200 with MediaStreet inks?
>>>

>(Niagara
>

>>>2 CIS, Generation G ultrachrome ink)? It has taken months to figure out
>>>

>how
>

>>>not to get scuffing on the prints (exit rollers and pizza wheels) and
>>>

>still
>

>>>do borderless printing, but I think I've done it (although it is a pain
>>>

>each
>

>>>time i print a different size print).
>>>
>>>But I often lose yellow. It comes back after I clean/purge air/whistle &
>>>spit, but I have no idea which actually worked. Right now, nothing does.
>>>I've syringe-extracted ink/air from the cartridge (supplied by MS), to no
>>>avail. (But I get a vacuum: I would think that I should be able to just
>>>draw up in the cartridge & it would be continuously replaced by what's in
>>>the reservoir bottle, but this does not happen). I'm about to give up.

>>>can't find any other compatible (archival) inks, so I really want to work
>>>

>it
>

>>>out (costs 1/5 what Epson does, assuming the Epson cartridges are 14
>>>

>ml -
>

>>>do you know?). I print lots because I sell photos (framed, matted,
>>>

>cards).
>

>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice
>>>

>>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message

>system)
>

>>>for

>>>put

>>>full?

>get
>

>>>it

>>>tubing,

June 15, 2005 10:12:09 PM

measekite wrote:
> How can you sell AfterMarket stuff to a customer? The difference is
> probably a buck more for a print.

You moron, more "stuff" is printed and sold everyday on non-oem than is
sold on oem in a month.
Ask anyone in the business.
You're an idiot. Get lost.
Frank
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:28:08 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> How can you sell AfterMarket stuff to a customer? The difference is
>> probably a buck more for a print.
>>
> You moron, more "stuff" is printed and sold everyday on non-oem than
> is sold on oem in a month.
> Ask anyone in the business.
> You're an idiot.
> Frank