DocNyar

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, 1066Mhz, Boxed
Mobo: Asus P5N32-SLI DeLuxe
Graphics: Asus EN7950GX2/1G
Harddrive: WD1500AD Raptor X (3x)
WD5000KS
Power supply: Thermaltake toughpower 750Watt (W0116)
DVD re-writer: NEC ND-4550A
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3 (2048, 2 modules of 1024 (x 2))
PC case: Thermaltake VE2000BWS (Armor LCS with watercooling)

What do you think about this choice of hwardware as my new PC ? I wouldn't mind some opinions to see if I've chosen theright setup, or should make changes some where.

I'm a fanatic gamer and that's what I want to build my system for. I want to us one Raptor X drive for my OS and 2 I want to use in RAID 0 setup for my games.

DocNyar

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
i ain't sure if you need that gfx card, IMO one powerful card or 2 in C/F or SLI may be better unless your planning on buying a 30" dell as well.

overall a bit overkill and you also need a sound card and speakers/headphones.

I undestand it's a bit overkill, but atm, money ain't that much of an issue :)

Just wanted to know if the choice of mobo, Ram and processor are ok in one's opinion :)

BobaFettm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Looks fine from what I've been reading about everything! My setup is slightly different that ill be ordering... but nearly the same...

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE
RAM: Mushkin Redline 2GB
Video Card: XFX Geforce 7950GX2 1GB (OC standard: 520)
Hard Drive: Seagate 73.4gb -15000rpm

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, 1066Mhz, Boxed
Mobo: Asus P5N32-SLI DeLuxe
Graphics: Asus EN7950GX2/1G
Harddrive: WD1500AD Raptor X (3x)
WD5000KS
Power supply: Thermaltake toughpower 750Watt (W0116)
DVD re-writer: NEC ND-4550A
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3 (2048, 2 modules of 1024 (x 2))
PC case: Thermaltake VE2000BWS (Armor LCS with watercooling)

I'm a fanatic gamer and that's what I want to build my system for. I want to us one Raptor X drive for my OS and 2 I want to use in RAID 0 setup for my games.

If you can afford the extra investment, I'd go with the X6800 CPU. I'd also go with XFired 1900XTs or a single 1950XTX (due out in a couple of weeks) - or go for the gold and OC a pair of 1950s... There are PS options that are more proven than that TT. I'm not saying it's a bad unit and in fact I suspect it is bomber. But for example, you could do this FSP, this mushkin (my personal ~700 watt favorite), this OCZ (total bargain this weekend) or for more muscle, consider this Silverstone which is 850 watts. They also make an excellent 750 watt unit for 90 bucks less. I'm just pointing you at stuff that has worked well for myself and many others, have solid reviews behind them, etc. I'd also probably drop the water cooled case and use the excess to fund the top end CPU. You're going to be able to OC this CPU on air beyond your needs as a gamer, so why add water cooling if you don't need it? Doing water on the GPUs may make sense if you really want to tweak their OC to the max, but I've gone through the process of getting ambient and subambient water systems to live a long life and it can be a real hassle. If you're into the hands-on maintenance thing, for all means, go for it but if you like to plug and play, just realize it could get rude... For a case, I love the Lian Lis. This one has excellent cooling, a logical layout and plenty of room for what you need. Available in black too. Mind you, I'm not putting down the Armor - my video editing box is an Armor and I like it. But the sucker is huge and unless you go with water, I'd get a smaller case. My game box is an Armor Jr and it's nice too but not as snaz as the Lian Li.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have to say ditto on the mushkin PSU. One of the most stable PSU's under load I have ever seen (I believe it is built by Tagan under Mushkin's design).

The Thermaltake PSU mentioned in the original thread was the only thing that jumped out at me . . . probably is a killer PSU, but I've read mixed reviews on their PSU's in the past.

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Agree with folks on the PS.
2) Get a case where you can space out your raptors so there is plenty of room for airflow (cooling) between them. Most cases can easily space out 2 drives w/1 empty space in between, but spacing out 3 drives requires a bigger and/or better-designed case.