Sign in with
Your question

Will this memory upgrade cause a slow down?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
August 5, 2006 8:38:59 AM

I curently have :

2 x 512 Mb Corsair DDR platinum CMX 2700-LL CAS2 running at 2-2-2-5

if i would like to upgrade to a total of 2GB and install :

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2
I cant confirm the timings, but i think they are 2-3-3-6

i assume all the memory sticks will change to 2-3-3-6 timings, if so will i notice a slowdown in overall system performance?

would i be able to use the same timings on the new sticks as the old sticks seeing as i would not be running them at full speed as my motherboard is set at 133MHz

Thanks for any help

More about : memory upgrade slow

a b } Memory
August 6, 2006 1:15:33 AM

Yes, the other memory will slow down to the other timings. In terms of an overall eprformance hit though, there probably won't be much. The loading times of your programs will just take a little bit longer.
August 6, 2006 10:43:23 AM

thanks for the reply
by the sounds of it, i shouldn't notice any/much difference (hopefully)

I really need the extra 1GB ram for BF2, i can run the game on full graphic settings, but the disk is constantly going and i get slow downs quit a bit on 64 player maps.
I read that to have the game on full graphic settings you need 2gb ram, so hopefully the gain in bf2 (really the only thing i run that pushes my pc to the limit) will be bigger than any slow down elsewhere that may occur

thanks
Related resources
August 6, 2006 11:00:37 AM

Quote:
BF2 using over 1GB greatly depends on what gfx card you have and the quality setting in game.

It's only with X800/6800GT or above that you'll be able to set high quality and be using over 1GB.

i dunno, i've got an x600 nderclocked and when I jumped from 1 gig to 2.5 gigs, I noticed a big difference in loading, lag and disk usage. I thought that the 2 gigs were way worth the money, even though I play on low settings.
August 6, 2006 11:00:58 AM

I have a BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC 256MB
I tried the settings on max, and it seems to work fine from the graphics card side, but the disk was going all the time (still does for the first 5 mins of a game on medium to high settings) so i assume this is a lack of memory problem
August 7, 2006 3:17:41 PM

Hi!
About your memory upgrade, you don't mention what platform you are using (Inter or AMD) . If you use an NForce 4 for AMD, well, if you fill all the memory bank you will need to change your 1T option to 2T because it is the only way that works.

These will slow down your memory performance, i really don't know how noticeable will be but the test on Sisoff Sandra drops my memory bandwidth from 92% to 77%.

I currently have 4*512 Geil DDR 3200 Ultra-X 2-2-2-5. i really don't notice any slow down in any game or application, in fact the PC feels great overall, but if some one know how to improve the bandwidth efficiency problem I will be very happy.

My System:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Athlon 64 3800
2GB RAM (4*512 Geil DDR 3200 Ultra-X 2-2-2-5)
2* WD 120 GB Hard Drives
EVAG 7800GT 256mb DDR3 video card
Sound Blaster Audigy sound card
Plextor 740A DVD
Antec 480W True Power PS
Lian-Li Case
August 7, 2006 9:24:59 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-8INXP which uses the Intel E7205 chipset, i have a P4 2.4GHz 533Mhz in there.
Don't think this motherboard has anything to do with Nforce (i heard that there is a known performance issue with filling all 4 slots on Nforce boards)

I have just been reading on the Corsair web site that you have to install matched memory that came from the same batch, (each matched pair), if you dont then you dont have much chance in the pc booting up.

If this is the case then it sounds like i will have to take out my current 2x512mb and replace with 2x1gb, which is a lot more money than i was prepared to spend on this old PC.

Anyone had any experience in this?
August 8, 2006 9:18:00 AM

so i am better off filling my 2nd to slots with 2x512mb of XMS3200C2 than replacing my existing memory with 2x1gb of xms3200C2?

Will this work?
Will the new memory stick be compatable with the old XMS2700LL?

Whilst researching this i am getting confusing results, some websites say never fill all 4 slots otherwise it might not work at all or might cause a huge drop in performance (not motherboard specific)
some say that you could fill all 4 slots but i would have to find the exact same memory modules as the original pair (same size, speed and revision) other wise it will not boot.

my simple desire to upgrade to 2gb is turning into a huge frustration.

any help to clarify things for me would be very much appreciated
thanks
August 8, 2006 9:44:22 AM

You will benifit more in 4x512Mb of different rams than 2x512Mb at higher applications and gaming. Yes, like all have said the timing will adjust to that of the slower one but not really a big performance loss. But if you're into overclocking then it is better to have a match rams for stability.
August 8, 2006 10:28:34 AM

so would all/any of the following work? :

1. original 2x512mb xms2700LL C2 + new 2x512mb xms3200C2
(risk : old and new wont be compatable, work individually, no better off overall capacity wise)
(Pro : if all works the cheapest upgrade path)

2. original 2x512mb xms2700LL C2 + new 2x1gb xms3200C2
(risk : old and new wont be compatable, work individually, waste old sticks, £70 more expensive)
(pro : could use new only if doesnt work with increase capacity, all work together and end up with 3gb)

3. new 2x1gb xms3200C2
!