Questions about Windows XP Pro Multiple Profiles on Window..

Questions about Windows XP Pro Multiple Profiles on Windows 2000
Server, Office 97 files transfered from Win98 problems because of
profiles, etc

Hi,

Our company has a Windows 2000 Server, and most of our PC's are
Windows 98SE. We use Office 97 Pro.

I recently bought a new machine with Windows XP Professional, and i'm
having some glitches with getting the old data from a Windows 98Se
machine to open into the XP machine without any annoying messages.

I think the problems are caused by having multiple profiles.

If it's possible, to simply things, i'd like to have a single username
for the user of this pc (johndoe of whatever) that is setup as an
administrator for this PC (and the only username of the pc) while also
logging into our domain (without administrator access to our server).

Is the above possible to do?

Next to the username "Administrator" it lists the wrong domain name.
Also, how can I rename the user "Administrator" to something else
(still keeping administrator access to the pc)?

Installing Office 97 Service Pack 2 fixed one of the glitches. When I
opened a Word document, it would ask to make a copy. But when I close
the file or program down, another one is still present that mentions
"Word cannot save or create this file. Disk may be full..". I
looked it up, and again it seemed like it was caused by multiple
profiles. So if I can elminate profiles altogether it may simply
things for now.

I use XP Home edition all the time for my own desktop and at my other
customers (not in a corporate network environment), but few of them
have have multiple profiles setup. I'll have to learning a bit more
about XP profiles knowing what kind of glitches are possible due to
them.

Thanks.

> I think the problems are caused by having multiple profiles.

More than likely your problems result from XP having tighter security on the
registry and file system than Win 9x.

My first suggestion would be to check with the manufacturer of the programs
for an upgrade designed to work with XP.

With Win 2k there was a security template called compatws.inf that "relaxed"
Win 2k's permissions to be more compatible with legacy applications. I
haven't seen something similar for XP but I haven't looked that hard. Not
sure if the compatws.inf will work on XP.

If you must have the users as admin you will want to add their domain login
to the local admin group of their PC. This way they can log onto the domain
with "user" permissions for the domain but they will have admin permission
on their local PC.

I would only use this method until I found another way. Perferrably the
first method listed above.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE