Last (I think) Almoner's Quest

Okay, so the guy wants me to collect 500 gold from some rich dude in
Caldera, Pelinius or something like that. Thing is, he's not about to hand
it over. If I demand it, he attacks me. I can kill him, of course, but I
hate killing NPCs without a really good reason. Plus, I still don't get my
500 gold. He must keep his money elsewhere. If I do anything short of
demand, he just gives me the run-around and refuses to talk about it
anymore. I can persuade him up to 100%, but it doesn't make any difference.
I could, of course, just LIE to the guy who gave me the quest and cover the
500 gold out of my own pocket. It's not like I'm hurting for cash right
now. (Over 200,000 last I checked.) It wouldn't even be the first time. I
told him I'd doubled the goal for collection from the Argonian mission and
later from Ald'ruhn, and he seemed pleased. (They're apparently not big on
fact-checking in Vvardenfell. Lies are almost always believed at
face-value, and there's never any consequence, at least so far.) Still,
this guy is just being a jerk, and I'm sure there must be some way to
satisfy him and get his donation. Is there some part of this I'm just
completely missing?

On Sunday 05 December 2004 18:17, Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Okay, so the guy wants me to collect 500 gold from some rich dude in
> Caldera, Pelinius or something like that. Thing is, he's not about to
> hand it over. Is there some part of this I'm just completely missing?

Bring up his name in conversation with others in the building. Of course,
as usual, you could've gotten this answer via Google or the UESP in a
matter of seconds.

--

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

- Benford's Law of Controversy

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Okay, so the guy wants me to collect 500 gold from some rich dude in
> Caldera, Pelinius or something like that. Thing is, he's not about
to hand
> it over. If I demand it, he attacks me. I can kill him, of course,
but I
> hate killing NPCs without a really good reason. Plus, I still don't
get my
> 500 gold. He must keep his money elsewhere. If I do anything short
of
> demand, he just gives me the run-around and refuses to talk about it
> anymore. I can persuade him up to 100%, but it doesn't make any
difference.
> I could, of course, just LIE to the guy who gave me the quest and
cover the
> 500 gold out of my own pocket. It's not like I'm hurting for cash
right
> now. (Over 200,000 last I checked.) It wouldn't even be the first
time. I
> told him I'd doubled the goal for collection from the Argonian
mission and
> later from Ald'ruhn, and he seemed pleased. (They're apparently not
big on
> fact-checking in Vvardenfell. Lies are almost always believed at
> face-value, and there's never any consequence, at least so far.)
Still,
> this guy is just being a jerk, and I'm sure there must be some way to
> satisfy him and get his donation. Is there some part of this I'm
just
> completely missing?

SPOILERS....

If you ask others and search around the castle, you will find an
alternative

Bigger Hint:

Look for a ledger that is normally kept locked up. It contains
information he does not want disseminated.

> Look for a ledger that is normally kept locked up. It contains
> information he does not want disseminated.

Wait a minute - I found that, but it didn't help me any - but then again, I
think I found it the time I killed him, so I guess that would explain it.
D'oh.

>>Look for a ledger that is normally kept locked up. It contains
>>information he does not want disseminated.

Isn't that stuff in the ledger for the Redoran quest?

The way I know to solve the Almoner quest does not involve a ledger
(though that may be an alternate solution I'm not aware of). However, if
the Caldera mines slaves are still there, talk to them. They will give
you the required hint which allows you to "convince" (hehe) that
Imperial guy in Caldera castle to donate you the cash.
If the slaves are already gone, no idea. Pay from own purse, then. That
always works with those Almoner quests (quite silly, though). At least
that way you cannot get stuck.

> Isn't that stuff in the ledger for the Redoran quest?
>
> The way I know to solve the Almoner quest does not involve a ledger
> (though that may be an alternate solution I'm not aware of). However, if
> the Caldera mines slaves are still there, talk to them. They will give
> you the required hint which allows you to "convince" (hehe) that
> Imperial guy in Caldera castle to donate you the cash.
> If the slaves are already gone, no idea. Pay from own purse, then. That
> always works with those Almoner quests (quite silly, though). At least
> that way you cannot get stuck.

Yeah, I already freed the slaves a long time ago, and only more recently
realized it was a mistake. (Somebody else posted a thread about how that
will screw up some quests.) I'm slightly worried, because though I haven't
joined a great house yet, the Redoran house is my first choice, I think.
(Still considering Hlaalu. Telvanni is out of the question, they already
hate my guts for being head of the Mage Guild.) Pretty stupid that the game
allows you to do something early on in the game that will completely ruin
several quests much later, and yet doesn't give you the slightest clue that
this could cause a problem. I guess I can just pay them myself. I've
already reached the highest rank possible at the Imperial Cult by doing the
other 2 guys' missions. I could start working for the Oracle, but I'm
worried that will involve some sort of commitment? (The same reason I
haven't joined a house yet.) I'm also pretty high ranked at the temple, and
I wouldn't want them to conflict.

While I'm thinking about it, how many of the factions do involve some sort
of commitment that prevents you from doing other things? I know that you
can only join one great house, and that an early Fighter's Guild quest will
prevent you from joining the Thieves' Guild early on if you haven't already.
(I screwed up there, so will probably never get to join.) Also, the
Telvanni don't like it when you're high-ranked in the Mage's Guild, and I im
agine the Hlaalu feel the same way about the Thieves' Guild. Then there's
the Vampire houses, which I know almost nothing about. I'm just curious
what's the maximum number of factions whose missions can be completed by a
single character? Can you join a house, do all their missions, then kill
people until you get kicked out, and join another house? Would be
interesting to get all 3 manors built that way, though you'd probably have
to cheat to get your disposition back up to where they'd agree to let you
join. And I don't know if there's some case where completing the missions
for one house would involve killing the leaders of the other houses or
anything like that. Should get that mod where all the NPCs respawn if you
kill them and see just how much is possible...

On 8 Dec 2004 09:42:46 -0800, "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Most quests have alternative solutions and only some approaches affect
>other quests. For example, I have done both early fighter guild quests
>that usually torpedo joining thieves guild in ways that do not tick off
>the thieves guild. I've done this both before joining the thieves
>guild and after joining. And I've tried other approaches that DO tick

I know what the code book quest is about - what's the other quest that
annoys the Thieves' guild? (I'm assuming you're NOT talking about the
quest that involves killing the Thieves' guild bosses)

There are several others. The one I was talking about was doing in the
Telvanni agents outside Caldera. If you kill the one outside the cave
without taunting and getting him to attack you, it seems to count as
killing a thieves guild member unprovoked (even though no one is around
to report you. Silencing the Argonian in the Ald-ruhn guild by killing
him outright would be another. (I always talk him into leaving town...
Killing the excise agent in Scyda Neen might be. There might be
others....but as I generally balk at killing the apparantly innocent,
I've never gotten to them. For a long time, I avoided Fighter Guild.
Then I realized that you did not actually have to DO every quest you
were given. Since then, I've gottne along better with them. It may be
that taking the killing option to any of the Camona-Tong-originating
tasks annoy the theives guild. But I generally do the rest by ponying
up assorted debt moneys on my own. But the two I think that catch
people are the code book and--mostly--the thieves in Caldera operating
as Telvanni agents. The fighters guilde does warn you they are thieves
guild operatives--whether or not you are in the thieves guild. But I
expect most new players are running into so much new stuff that they
don't notice the warning. Or else they ignore the warning and then
forget that they ignored it when they find the thieve's guild is a bit
annoyed with them.

Spoiler...

>Well, it's not so bad because you can pay from own purse and the issue
>is settled. And maybe (I don't know) there is even another solution to
>get the guy convinced to donate. No idea, those almoner quests arn't
so
>hot anyways.

There are a number of ways to complete the quest. The way I did it was
to go to the ebony mines outside of Caldera. Talk to the slaves about
him and they will tell you he is stealing ebony. Threaten to turn him
in and he will give you 3 pieces of ebony. Sell those to cover the 500
gp.