Closed

How do i play movie files that have extensions .avi.001, ...

December 21, 2004 5:36:39 PM

Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i tried
renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have them in this
format.. any ideas

thanks..
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:56:17 PM

They are partial files, which need to be split up for newsreaders to
be able to access the whole file. You'll have to collect all (n) parts
to use them. Then, your newsreader should be able to UUDECODE the lot
to a single AVI.

They may also be encoded using "Yenc" which is a different scheme that
applies compression. Free Agent newsreader can unpack these by default
and afaik they're getting pretty common.

Forget Outlook though ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:36:39 -0000, "Brenty" <burp@burp.com> wrote:

>Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i tried
>renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have them in this
>format.. any ideas
>
>thanks..

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:24:14 PM

"Brenty" <burp@burp.com> wrote in message
| Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i
tried
| renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have them
in this
| format.. any ideas
|
| thanks..

001 etc are the parts of one file that need to be re-joined - they are
split into smaller parts to allow posting. Join the bits together. You
don't say what the parts are in but if in OE select all of the parts ,
then right click and read the menu.
December 21, 2004 9:24:32 PM

thanks.. i am using newsbin pro... there are loads of movies to download ..
like on warez.movies.pocketpc

I was downloading a simpsons one

> | Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i
> tried
> | renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have them
> in this
> | format.. any ideas
> |
> | thanks..
> |

> 001 etc are the parts of one file that need to be re-joined - they are
> split into smaller parts to allow posting. Join the bits together. You
> don't say what the parts are in but if in OE select all of the parts ,
> then right click and read the menu.

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:24:33 PM

in newsbin clear the "filter" checkbox and then you will also see a ".bat"
file associated with your parts. download that and run it, it will
automatically join your parts, or use a file joiner program (look at
www.divx-digest.com for some pointers)
In the future your probably better off directing such post to the newsgroup
you stealing your movies from - not a microsoft sponsored group

| thanks.. i am using newsbin pro... there are loads of movies to download
| like on warez.movies.pocketpc
|
| I was downloading a simpsons one
|
| > | Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i
| > tried
| > | renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have them
| > in this
| > | format.. any ideas
| > |
| > | thanks..
| > |
| > |

| > 001 etc are the parts of one file that need to be re-joined - they are
| > split into smaller parts to allow posting. Join the bits together. You
| > don't say what the parts are in but if in OE select all of the parts ,
| > then right click and read the menu.

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:15:44 AM

These files need to be recombined using a program called MasterSplitter
from: http://www.tomasoft.com/

"Brenty" <burp@burp.com> wrote in

> Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i tried
> renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have them in
> this format.. any ideas
>
> thanks..

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 4:20:59 PM

I've not used that program but look through the help files to see how
you recombine the parts. Selecting all of the parts for one file only
then right clicking and looking at the context sensitive menu that
usually appears seems worth a try ......

"Brenty" <burp@burp.com> wrote in message
| thanks.. i am using newsbin pro... there are loads of movies to
download ..
| like on warez.movies.pocketpc
|
| I was downloading a simpsons one
|
| > | Anyone know how to open/play these.. they aren't RAR files and i
| > tried
| > | renaming to avi but with no success.. Loads of newsgroups have
them
| > in this
| > | format.. any ideas
| > |
| > | thanks..
| > |
| > |

| > 001 etc are the parts of one file that need to be re-joined - they
are
| > split into smaller parts to allow posting. Join the bits together.
You
| > don't say what the parts are in but if in OE select all of the
parts ,
| > then right click and read the menu.

May 21, 2012 8:08:04 AM

When all the parts are downloaded, then it should be a new file which is playable by media players.
August 14, 2012 10:18:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
!