popular video compression + streaming server combination?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

We have a video camera connected to a computer at a remote facility. We'd
like to compress streaming video there, and have it transmit to a server at
our main facility running a reflector, so that we can stream it to the
public over the Internet as a part of our website. Right now we're trying to
use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) as the compressor and Darwin
Streaming Server as the reflector, but are having a terrible time making
them talk to each other. Can you recommend a set of software suitable for
what we're trying to do? Any OS is fine.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about popular video compression streaming server combination
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:02:49 -0800) it happened "john"
    <abc@123.def> wrote in <d0rj92$3j2$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>:

    >We have a video camera connected to a computer at a remote facility. We'd
    >like to compress streaming video there, and have it transmit to a server at
    >our main facility running a reflector, so that we can stream it to the
    >public over the Internet as a part of our website. Right now we're trying to
    >use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) as the compressor and Darwin
    >Streaming Server as the reflector, but are having a terrible time making
    >them talk to each other. Can you recommend a set of software suitable for
    >what we're trying to do? Any OS is fine.
    >
    >Thanks.
    There is a version of ffmpeg that does that (Linux, but possibly MS windows too).
    I had it set up, and it worked, but cannot remember exactly how I did it.
    One version worked, the other did not... Maybe newer versions work.
    You have a choice of formats, rm wmv ...etc..
    Not sure that is a solution in your case.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Check out this company. http://www.vodium.com/

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    Try the open source version of the Helix Server and Helix producer if
    you do not mind the video being in the real format.

    https://helixcommunity.org/
    https://common.helixcommunity.org/2004/downloads/

LAN Streaming Video Servers Networking