popular video compression + streaming server combination?

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 11, 2005 3:02:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

We have a video camera connected to a computer at a remote facility. We'd
like to compress streaming video there, and have it transmit to a server at
our main facility running a reflector, so that we can stream it to the
public over the Internet as a part of our website. Right now we're trying to
use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) as the compressor and Darwin
Streaming Server as the reflector, but are having a terrible time making
them talk to each other. Can you recommend a set of software suitable for
what we're trying to do? Any OS is fine.

Thanks.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:41:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:02:49 -0800) it happened "john"
<abc@123.def> wrote in <d0rj92$3j2$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>:

>We have a video camera connected to a computer at a remote facility. We'd
>like to compress streaming video there, and have it transmit to a server at
>our main facility running a reflector, so that we can stream it to the
>public over the Internet as a part of our website. Right now we're trying to
>use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) as the compressor and Darwin
>Streaming Server as the reflector, but are having a terrible time making
>them talk to each other. Can you recommend a set of software suitable for
>what we're trying to do? Any OS is fine.
>
>Thanks.
There is a version of ffmpeg that does that (Linux, but possibly MS windows too).
I had it set up, and it worked, but cannot remember exactly how I did it.
One version worked, the other did not... Maybe newer versions work.
You have a choice of formats, rm wmv ...etc..
Not sure that is a solution in your case.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:00:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Check out this company. http://www.vodium.com/

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions