Is a sound card worth it with these speakers?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I would say no, but it will always help.

Well a sound card is the interface between the computer and the speakers, I think it has to be connected to the computer.

~Ibrahim~

symbi0nt

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I can get the x-fi oem for $105, do I need to buy new speakers or will those suffice?

I was considering the possibility of buying some decent speakers as well, but they are all labelled 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc. What is this? What do I need?

As you can see, I haven't ever really looked into sound setups before.

sailer

Splendid
The add says the speakers will work well with "Sound Blaster 2-channel sound cards", not that it includes the card. If you're running on-board sound now, a separate sound card will unload the cpu and you computer will run a bit faster.

The speakers you list are about the same as most standard speakers that come with computers, maybe even a little less, depending on the computer company. That is, they're better than nothing, but that's about all. For 30-40 dollars, you can get a lot better speakers, and even running with on-board sound, they will be worth the difference.

sailer

Splendid
I can get the x-fi oem for $105, do I need to buy new speakers or will those suffice?

I was considering the possibility of buying some decent speakers as well, but they are all labelled 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc. What is this? What do I need?

Now I have a better idea what you're loking for. An Audigy2 ZS SBO350 will run about $65 and be nearly as good as the X-Fi. 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 refer to five, six, or seven speakers plus a sub woofer. For most people, a 5.1 setup is sufficient.

Depending on your budget and the quality of sound you want, you can get a Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 wt for $135, a Creative G500 310 wt for $215. or go up to a Logitech Z-5500 505 wt for $264 from Newegg. These are all 5.1 systems. Like most things better sound costs more money. The Z-5500 is the best for the money, in my opinion.

sailer

Splendid
The 7.1 is the max it can handle. Few people can tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 speakers, unless you're using them for a home theater TV type of thing. You had written that the X-Fi was $105, but if you find it cheaper, then good. It won't hurt. Like I said, the Logitech Z-5500 speakers would probably be best, unless you want to spend lots of money. Even then, only audiophiles wanting the best for music will notice the difference.

symbi0nt

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I don't particularly fancy paying $360 for my speakers.. (that's the price they are here in the UK) - I mean, I want decent speakers but i'm no enthusiast. Just don't fancy putting my old crappy ones next to a E6600 & 7950.. hehe (love student loans)

I think around $150 would be okay for me to spend.

sailer

Splendid
OK, then the Creative G550's or the Logitech Z-5300e's should work well enough. All depends on how much money you have to spend. Compared to the speakers you first listed, there is no comparison in the sound quality.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Watch out, Sound Blaster will NOT support you with an OEM card. If it ain't retail, it ain't getting a lick of support from them. I learned the hard way.

~Ibrahim~

sailer

Splendid
I haven't been through the experience with the OEM verses retail card, but in that case, the retail version would be best for sure. The extra 15 dollars or so isn't worth the lack of support.

halcyon

Splendid

I believe an X-Fi would be overkill for those speakers, really, but an Audigy SE would fit the bill quite nicely and at a more appropriate price, for those speakers. However, if you do get an X-Fi class card you'll have a nice, uh, foundation (?) for when you upgrade to better speakers. You don't need to spend ~$100 on a soundcard for 2.0 speakers, IMO.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Panasonic XR55s or
Pinoeer VSX- series reciever

Bestbuy Insignia two way speakers for $50 a pair + Dayton 10 or 12" sub is better than any PC in a box speakers.

A lot of people say these are a nice step up from PC junk...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138

If anyone is looking at the Insignias, there is a $45 upgrade (doubles the cost almost, sure), but it helps reduce the few problems the speaker does have at its incredible price--some midrange time domain distortion and cabinet resonance.

http://www.gr-research.com/insignia.htm

Of course, compared to PC speakers, even the trashiest bookshelves are a huge upgrade.

Except I guess, to those insane Logitech lovers who've never listened to anything else, and tell you your some insane audiophile if you claim to listen to anything better (or different) because there's nothing better than 500W of RMS greatness! YEAHHHHHHHHH. (and when you start explaining why they have limitations, they don't respond, but just post again "Logitech is the best! 505W! YEAHHH" ad infinitum).

I need to add something to my signature that's equally amusing. Like "HONDA CIVICS ARE THE BEST CARS EVAR...IF YOU BUY ANYTHING ELSE YOU ARE CRAZY CARPHILE...6300RPM OF CAR GOODNESS... YEAHHHHHH"

halcyon

Splendid
That's funny. Kids will be kids, you can't blame them too much for loving their Logitechs. You gotta crawl before you can walk. If they become interested in audio quality, they'll surely laugh at their love of the Logitechs one day. Hey, is that a mouse? No, its a keyboard...no, it's THX certified speakers. No, its Logitech. 8O The Logitech's are likely great for gaming, and adequate for movies and music. As long as they're not passed off as high quality audio gear they have a place, IMO.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Its funny you talk about that. I picked up a pair of Insignias yesterday. They sure as hell blow PC speakers out of the water at an amazing price... I couldnt help but to go into a BB and demo them from all of the reviews on www.avsforum.com .

I was looking into that upgrade kit for them. Smooths out the responce a bit and kills that resonance. Sounds like a worth upgrade!