HP 5P Laserjet?

Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
(about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
units) apart from toner?

Isn't that model old? Maybe I'm mixing up HP models. If doing substantial
document printing an inkjet printer is not cost efficient. That's what
laser printers are for.

<neopia9@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
> purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
> (about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
> to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
> printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
> this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
> units) apart from toner?

zakezuke

>Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum" units) apart from toner?

Units with seperate developers and drums can be cool as for the most
part you are only buying toner. I long for the days of paying $20ish
for a pint rather than $60 to $100 for a self sealed unit. Sure down
the road you might have to spend $100 on this and $100 on that but the
lower cost in toner usually makes up for it. But near as I'm aware the
C3903A toner has the drum and developer onboard. It's been a few years
since i've seen one, but I seem to remember it being somewhat slugish,
as slugish as an LaserJet II. And it is very much an older generation
unit, taking simms and even featuring an Apple Localtalk connector.
And the color I remember as being flesh tone rather that high tech
white.

But unless HP decided to rename a new model the 5p, both the 5p and 5mp
have been discontinued for some time, since 1998 if I remember
correctly. I know it was around in 1996.

zakezuke

> Another option is to get a Canon iP4000 or iP3000 and use compatible ink
> for the black pigment cartridge.
> For less than $10 (7-10 carts) I can print more sheets than a single toner cartridge
> can and for less than 1/6th its cost.

I'm so far happy with my ip3000 and mp760. I'm the first to say it's
cost is very reasonable, and it's great bang for the buck. But once
you start talking bulk ink, cheap refills you gotta do the same thing
for the other product for it to be a fair contest.

I see e-bay has C3903A toner refill kits for $15.33 3 botttles ($10
shipping), where a typical bottle is 235g. Not sure their bottle is
235g but hey. IIRC correctly the c3903A takes 160g.

What you're talking about is units of 500p. This is pretty good. What
i'm talking about is units of 4000p per 160g, or 5875p / 235g. The
price your listing seems very outstanding, i've not see them sold for
under $4.00 each esp when you take shipping into account. But hey.
$10 for 5000p... not bad. but $25 for 17000p is a little bit cheaper.
Really close to what you'd spend on the Canon BCI-3bk if you could find
them for $1.00/each.

Easy enough to find 235g bottles of Canon 5876 toner for the Canon
LBP-VX based printers in the $10 / $12 per bottle range. Less if you
go with generic copy toner available at your local copy machine shop,
but sometimes it doesn't look as good.

But if you're going to go to the local office store for your refills,
and buy the OEM, you'd have to buy 8 BCI-3Bks to equal one C3903A, and
the new C3903A is $75.00 or so depending on where you shop. the
BCI-3BK is typicaly $12.00... or $96 for 8.

On 11 Jun 2005 18:51:15 -0700, neopia9@gmail.com wrote:

>Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
>purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
>(about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
>to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
>printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
>this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
>units) apart from toner?

if it's going to be B&W only print out, you can probably get away with
older used models. HP Laserjet 4's are built like a tank. Mine has
38k pages count and only needed one set of output roller replaced.
The fuser may be about to burn out from age but that's why I have
another old (and cheap) laser printer sitting around.

Laserprinter's toner cart tended to cost more, to the tune of $75 to
$100 for brand cart and less for generic and refurbished but when you
break it to per page cost, they are far cheaper than ink jet. Plus
laser printer don't waste toner every few hours just because they were
left on like some ink jet printer.

I do use ink jet printer mainly because the color photo output of a
decent ink jet printer are hard to beat with most affordable color
laser printers. The only real advantage the top of line color laser
have over top of line ink jet printer is the print speed, I've seen
color laser hit almost 30 p/sec

Toby

We just switched from 4Ps at work to 2100s. Both are very reliable, and in
fact I prefer the older models which have a small fluorescent (I think)
readout to display error codes. The toner carts are expensive but they last
forever.

Toby

neopia9@gmail.com wrote:
> Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
> purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
> (about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
> to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
> printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
> this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
> units) apart from toner?

Another option is to get a Canon iP4000 or iP3000 and use compatible ink
for the black pigment cartridge. It uses this cartridge to print black
and white documents. I can get carts off ebay for around $1 each.
Think how many compatible ink cartridges you could buy for the price of
just one laser printer cartridge. Printing doesn't get much cheaper
than this route. It probably rivals, or might even beat, printing with
a laser.

I have used compatibles in my MP780 (has basically the same print engine
as an iP4000) for about 6 months without a single problem. I use it for
receiving numerous faxes and copying quite a few documents every week.
I would guess that one black cartridge will easily print 300-400
8.5"x11" text pages. For less than $10 (7-10 carts) I can print more
sheets than a single toner cartridge can and for less than 1/6th its cost.

zakezuke

> Also, I wonder how many times the HP's cartridge can
> be refilled before the image drum starts to give out. Eventually a new
> cartridge will have to be bought.

As I wonder how many carts you can put in the canon before a
replacement head is needed. While the carts were officaly designed to
be disposable, they are less complex then a printhead. I haven't
owned a canon long enough to evaluate.
I can't speak for the HP5p, I had the HP II. And I refilled it with
the toner I bought on closeout for the panasonic 4450i, and some toner
I got from the local copier shop. I don't have an accurate count as I
only refilled it 6 times. I wasn't worried as at the time the
replacement value was $20 ish $30ish from Office Max's website for
"print master" IIRC the name correctly.

In all fairness... prefileld C3903A fetch as low as $23.00 mail order
shipped... $50 is typical. Unless over filled, it's yield is 4000 so
20,000 would be $115. No personal experence except with the
printmaster brand. using pricegrabber and pricewatch as a reference

Your deal is clearly better... The typical deal you linked doesn't
seem all that good to me. $6.99 shipping first item... 2.99 shipping
additional items. I know inksupply charges by weight rather than
quality, and a price of $5.00/each. I'd have to sign in to be
accurate. I can say shipping 6 2oz bottles was 4.90. It was $6.45 for
5 2oz bottles and 5 empty carts and misc extra stuff i've not seen yet.
I'm lazy so i'd wager that it's on par with the cheapest cart I can
find.

So we've established
1. OEM vs OEM... hp laser wins for cost/page
2. aftermarket refill vs after market refill... canon might win if
$1/ink tank, on par usually
(side note... don't know the head life on the canon. $23 is well
a used refilled cart with developer and drum. I have never seen a
canon clog or head failure, but i imagine it's possible)
3. bulk toner vs aftermarket refill.... hp might win

> The initial cost of buying an ip4000/iP3000 is low too

Your preaching to the choir. Paid $64 for my IP3000, $240 for the
mp760.

> This is much less than a new HP laser printer.

The 5p isn't a new HP printer. I'd say on par with the ip3000/ip4000
used. $160 from amazon. Now if you talk the HP LaserJet 2400 series
new ball of wax.

zakezuke wrote:
>>Another option is to get a Canon iP4000 or iP3000 and use compatible ink
>>for the black pigment cartridge.
>>For less than $10 (7-10 carts) I can print more sheets than a single toner cartridge
>>can and for less than 1/6th its cost.
>

> I'm so far happy with my ip3000 and mp760. I'm the first to say it's
> cost is very reasonable, and it's great bang for the buck. But once
> you start talking bulk ink, cheap refills you gotta do the same thing
> for the other product for it to be a fair contest.
>
> I see e-bay has C3903A toner refill kits for $15.33 3 botttles ($10
> shipping), where a typical bottle is 235g. Not sure their bottle is
> 235g but hey. IIRC correctly the c3903A takes 160g.
>
> What you're talking about is units of 500p. This is pretty good. What
> i'm talking about is units of 4000p per 160g, or 5875p / 235g. The
> price your listing seems very outstanding, i've not see them sold for
> under $4.00 each esp when you take shipping into account. But hey.
> $10 for 5000p... not bad. but $25 for 17000p is a little bit cheaper.
> Really close to what you'd spend on the Canon BCI-3bk if you could find
> them for $1.00/each.
>
> Easy enough to find 235g bottles of Canon 5876 toner for the Canon
> LBP-VX based printers in the $10 / $12 per bottle range. Less if you
> go with generic copy toner available at your local copy machine shop,
> but sometimes it doesn't look as good.
>
> But if you're going to go to the local office store for your refills,
> and buy the OEM, you'd have to buy 8 BCI-3Bks to equal one C3903A, and
> the new C3903A is $75.00 or so depending on where you shop. the
> BCI-3BK is typicaly $12.00... or $96 for 8.

Here is a link to ebay with a typical price for the BCI-3eBk cartridges:

http://tinyurl.com/9b8v9

The vendor I use will charge me one shipping fee for up to 50
cartridges. I have to email my order to him as I don't buy from from
him through ebay anymore. I'll usually buy 50-60 cartridges of various
types but I could buy 50 BCI-3eBk's for well under $50. At a 400 page
yield per cartridge that is 20,000 pages for $50. Keep in mind I'm not
refilling as these are new carts. I just pop one into the printer like
its an OEM cart. Also, I wonder how many times the HP's cartridge can
be refilled before the image drum starts to give out. Eventually a new
cartridge will have to be bought.

The initial cost of buying an ip4000/iP3000 is low too. I see the
iP3000 on ebay for less than $50 and the iP4000 for less than $100 (both
prices include shipping). This is much less than a new HP laser
printer. I could buy another 50-100 carts for the money I would save on
the initial printer purchase.

Whether he chooses a laser or compatible cartridges with a Canon inkjet
he'll be miles ahead of the Epson with OEM carts.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

The 5P is quite old but reliable. The drum is built into the toner cartridge so
is replaced when you run out of toner.
I have seen very few problems with this model.
Tony

neopia9@gmail.com wrote:
>Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
>purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
>(about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
>to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
>printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
>this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
>units) apart from toner?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

You are quite correct - it is slow, not sure I agree with the flesh tone bit
but the drum is definitely included in the toner cartridge.
Very reliable in my experience and speed is fine unless you are printing a
great deal.
Tony

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum" units) apart from toner?
>
>Units with seperate developers and drums can be cool as for the most
>part you are only buying toner. I long for the days of paying $20ish
>for a pint rather than $60 to $100 for a self sealed unit. Sure down
>the road you might have to spend $100 on this and $100 on that but the
>lower cost in toner usually makes up for it. But near as I'm aware the
>C3903A toner has the drum and developer onboard. It's been a few years
>since i've seen one, but I seem to remember it being somewhat slugish,
>as slugish as an LaserJet II. And it is very much an older generation
>unit, taking simms and even featuring an Apple Localtalk connector.
>And the color I remember as being flesh tone rather that high tech
>white.
>
>But unless HP decided to rename a new model the 5p, both the 5p and 5mp
>have been discontinued for some time, since 1998 if I remember
>correctly. I know it was around in 1996.

BURT

I have an HP5P that I have used extensively in my home officefor about 8 or
9 years. without a minute of down time. By today's standards it is slow,
but fast enough for my use. The "P" designation was for what was regarded
as "personal" printers in their day and were perfect for small office/home
office used. At the same time there were "industrial strength" models that
were better suited for large volume offices such as legal office, etc. As I
recall, the 4 series were more in the latter catagory. The HP5P has two
feed areas, one cassette under the printer and a top feed area that drops
down and will also take a stack of paper. There is a drop down print exit
area in the back that permits a straight paper path suitable for heavier
stock and envelopes. Although the toner cartridge is somewhat expensive
with its built in drum, you avoid periodic required servicing that fixed
drum units require. This has been a great printer for me. I haven't
shopped for a laser printer since this purchase, but a 2200 sells for less
than $500. In the long run, if you can afford it, you should consider a
2200 as it will come with a guaranty and much faster throughput. If the 5P
is "low milage" it will probably work out well for you if that is the max
you can spend.

zakezuke wrote:
>>Also, I wonder how many times the HP's cartridge can
>>be refilled before the image drum starts to give out. Eventually a new
>>cartridge will have to be bought.
>

> As I wonder how many carts you can put in the canon before a
> replacement head is needed. While the carts were officaly designed to
> be disposable, they are less complex then a printhead. I haven't
> owned a canon long enough to evaluate.

I haven't either. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Canon rated
their print heads for at least 18,000 pages in their cheaper printers.
If the heads ever dies it would likely be cheaper to buy a new printer
or pick up a print head off ebay.

> I can't speak for the HP5p, I had the HP II. And I refilled it with
> the toner I bought on closeout for the panasonic 4450i, and some toner
> I got from the local copier shop. I don't have an accurate count as I
> only refilled it 6 times. I wasn't worried as at the time the
> replacement value was $20 ish $30ish from Office Max's website for
> "print master" IIRC the name correctly.
>
> In all fairness... prefileld C3903A fetch as low as $23.00 mail order
> shipped... $50 is typical. Unless over filled, it's yield is 4000 so
> 20,000 would be $115. No personal experence except with the
> printmaster brand. using pricegrabber and pricewatch as a reference

I tried using a remanufactured cartridge in my 2100M and wasn't too
pleased with the print quality. It seemed like the drum had seen too
many refills. I probably got a bad piece as I doubt this is the norm.
Now I use OEM carts for it since I have the MP780 with compatibles for
cheap bulk printing.

> Your deal is clearly better... The typical deal you linked doesn't
> seem all that good to me. $6.99 shipping first item... 2.99 shipping
> additional items. I know inksupply charges by weight rather than
> quality, and a price of $5.00/each. I'd have to sign in to be
> accurate. I can say shipping 6 2oz bottles was 4.90. It was $6.45 for
> 5 2oz bottles and 5 empty carts and misc extra stuff i've not seen yet.
> I'm lazy so i'd wager that it's on par with the cheapest cart I can
> find.

The shipping cost is why I order directly from the supplier. Most ink
sellers will cut a deal on shipping if you order around 40-50 carts at
once. This is how you can get the cost down to $1, or so, per cart.

> So we've established
> 1. OEM vs OEM... hp laser wins for cost/page

Absolutely.

> 2. aftermarket refill vs after market refill... canon might win if
> $1/ink tank, on par usually
> (side note... don't know the head life on the canon. $23 is well
> a used refilled cart with developer and drum. I have never seen a
> canon clog or head failure, but i imagine it's possible)

I wouldn't expect the Canon to last nearly as long as a laser printer.
If replacement heads are cheap this might even things up.

> 3. bulk toner vs aftermarket refill.... hp might win

Maybe.

>>The initial cost of buying an ip4000/iP3000 is low too
>

> Your preaching to the choir. Paid $64 for my IP3000, $240 for the
> mp760.
>

>>This is much less than a new HP laser printer.
>

> The 5p isn't a new HP printer. I'd say on par with the ip3000/ip4000
> used. $160 from amazon. Now if you talk the HP LaserJet 2400 series
> new ball of wax.

True. If he looks into one of HP's better lasers then it would likely
tilt the numbers heavily toward using a Canon with compatible ink. The
laser will have much better print quality though if this is a consideration.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> neopia9@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
>> purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
>> (about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
>> to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
>> printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
>> this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
>> units) apart from toner?
>>

> Another option is to get a Canon iP4000 or iP3000 and use compatible
> ink for the black pigment cartridge. It uses this cartridge to print
> black and white documents. I can get carts off ebay for around $1 each.

Who mfg/formulates this ink?

measekite wrote:

> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> neopia9@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Fed up with the obscene cost of Epson ink, I am considering the
>>> purchase of a small laser printer. I don't have much to spend on one
>>> (about $200.00 U.S.), so let's be realistic. I'm not going to be able
>>> to get anything fancy, but I found an ad for a HP 5P LaserJet laser
>>> printer at an affordable price. Has anyone ever had any trouble with
>>> this model printer? Does it have any "hidden" expenses (such as "drum"
>>> units) apart from toner?
>>>

>> Another option is to get a Canon iP4000 or iP3000 and use compatible
>> ink for the black pigment cartridge. It uses this cartridge to print
>> black and white documents. I can get carts off ebay for around $1 each.
>

> Who mfg/formulates this ink?

I personally don't care as I get ink from a supplier that works for my
equipment and printing demands. I have had ZERO ink problems in the
last 18 months I have used compatibles. Others may have a different
experience. For ME compatibles deliver acceptable print quality, don't
cause head clogging issues and saves me $500+/year over buying OEM.

The original poster inquired about ECONOMICAL printing and that is why I
responded about using compatible ink in Canon injet printers. It is a
very economical printing solution. You and I have agreed in the past
that anyone that has a high print volume should look into using
compatible ink. It is up to each individual to find a reliable supplier
and to investigate the ink used if they feel the need to do such a
thing. I personally do not quiz my supplier about ink formulation and
really have not had a reason to do so. All I can say is the ink I buy
works for ME and would likely work for many others too.

>> Think how many compatible ink cartridges you could buy for the price
>> of just one laser printer cartridge. Printing doesn't get much
>> cheaper than this route. It probably rivals, or might even beat,
>> printing with a laser.
>>
>> I have used compatibles in my MP780 (has basically the same print
>> engine as an iP4000) for about 6 months without a single problem. I
>> use it for receiving numerous faxes and copying quite a few documents
>> every week. I would guess that one black cartridge will easily print
>> 300-400 8.5"x11" text pages. For less than $10 (7-10 carts) I can
>> print more sheets than a single toner cartridge can and for less than
>> 1/6th its cost.

You don't say what an affordable price is but 5p's and the
later 6p's, both very reliable laser printers, go for ~ $25-40
on Ebay (plus shipping). If you need a high volume printer,
look for a HP 4+ - as others have said - it's a work horse that
runs forever.