Sign in with
Your question

BSOD I think my video card is failing or maybe hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
May 13, 2011 6:37:22 PM

I been having BSOD's so I reinstalled windows 7 and for a couple days it didn't show any problems then it started to come back. I tested memory twice and it had no errors.my processor and video card don't show any signs of overheating.so I'm thinking its either the hard drive or the video card going out.it showed me so many different blue screen errors that I have no clue what it is?but I did find something when I was trying to run ubuntu 11.4. when it started I chose the try it out option and then it gave me an a bunch of errors about: "something (radeon)" which is what i have, a radeon ati 4670.
so this is why i believe it is my video card that is failing.
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 8:07:13 PM

To rule out the GPU, do you know if your PC has an on board graphics chip? If so, remove the 4670 and then see if you are still getting the same error. Another thing to keep in mind is the driver. Have you recently updated the driver? If not, perhaps updating it will solve the issue.
m
l
May 13, 2011 8:22:03 PM

You need to provide details about your system. Your post tells us nothing that can be used to help you.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2011 1:41:48 AM

system specs:
AMD athlon 5000+BE @ 2.8ghz
Biostar a760 AM2+
2gb ddr2 800mhz
ati radeon 4670 512mb gddr3
160gb hdd
350w psu

I'm downloading the windows debugger so i can post the bsod mini dumps.

I remember one being IRQL not_less_or_equal on the old windows 7 install
then i remember a couple starting with dx.

but I fill you in on the details soon as this thing gets done downloading and installing.

,thanks
m
l
May 14, 2011 2:44:07 AM

Uninstall all video drivers. Reinstall the ones for your video card only. Run MSI afterburner and use kombuster to burn in the gpu. If it runs fine for an hour our so you're likely not looking at a video hardware problem but rather some other issue.

If it crashes, remove your video card. Clean all drivers out and install the ones for the motherboard. It does have unboard video.

Run Kombuster again with the gpu burn in program. If all is okay then you've likely isolated the problem to the video card. If it crashes, too, you've got another problem.

Do this under Windows 7. Don't bother with Ubuntu (not a slight against linux but Radeon drivers under Ubuntu aren't 100%).
m
l
May 14, 2011 6:26:19 AM

Are you overclocking your processor? From what I can gather, that chip is 2.6 ghz, not 2.8. Run it at stock speeds and make sure your RAM timings and voltage are set to factory recommendations.
m
l
May 14, 2011 7:06:39 PM

IRQL's are usually driver related. With that said try googling the stop error codes. Those will usually pinpoint the exact issue. For me mine pointed to the storage controller which thank god was simply a bad hard drive rather than something on the motherboard.
m
l
!