Can't copy user profile

Hi all,

I am trying to move all the user profiles from the C: to D:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214636/

However, i got problem moving some of the user profiles, the "All users" and
"backup exec"(for my backup software services) always shows an error when i
tried to move them. The error message is "The "UserClass.dat" are in use,
can't copy". I did a restart of the computer but i still can't copy them.

Cheers
5 answers Last reply
More about copy user profile

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:57:01 -0800, "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am trying to move all the user profiles from the C: to D:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214636/
    >
    >However, i got problem moving some of the user profiles, the "All users" and
    >"backup exec"(for my backup software services) always shows an error when i
    >tried to move them. The error message is "The "UserClass.dat" are in use,
    >can't copy". I did a restart of the computer but i still can't copy them.
    >
    >Cheers

    Boot the Recovery Console, tip 2037 and links in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
    and tip 2615 and copy them from there.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Jerold,

    Thank you very much for your reply, but i am not able to use the recovery
    console since, i can only access the server through Terminal service, because
    it is in another country. What other option do i have? I know how to change
    the location of the C:\Documents and Settings directory without using the
    Recovery Console, but my problem is i can't copy some files from C: to D:.

    If you use the Recovery Console to change the location, will it copy the
    files for you as well? e.g from C: to D:
    or you still have to copy it manual?

    Cheers

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:57:01 -0800, "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I am trying to move all the user profiles from the C: to D:
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214636/
    > >
    > >However, i got problem moving some of the user profiles, the "All users" and
    > >"backup exec"(for my backup software services) always shows an error when i
    > >tried to move them. The error message is "The "UserClass.dat" are in use,
    > >can't copy". I did a restart of the computer but i still can't copy them.
    > >
    > >Cheers
    >
    > Boot the Recovery Console, tip 2037 and links in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
    > and tip 2615 and copy them from there.
    >

    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows Server MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    You use the RC to copy, not change the location.

    You could create a startup script that does it.

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:11:03 -0800, "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Jerold,
    >
    >Thank you very much for your reply, but i am not able to use the recovery
    >console since, i can only access the server through Terminal service, because
    >it is in another country. What other option do i have? I know how to change
    >the location of the C:\Documents and Settings directory without using the
    >Recovery Console, but my problem is i can't copy some files from C: to D:.
    >
    >If you use the Recovery Console to change the location, will it copy the
    >files for you as well? e.g from C: to D:
    >or you still have to copy it manual?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >"Jerold Schulman" wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:57:01 -0800, "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi all,
    >> >
    >> >I am trying to move all the user profiles from the C: to D:
    >> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214636/
    >> >
    >> >However, i got problem moving some of the user profiles, the "All users" and
    >> >"backup exec"(for my backup software services) always shows an error when i
    >> >tried to move them. The error message is "The "UserClass.dat" are in use,
    >> >can't copy". I did a restart of the computer but i still can't copy them.
    >> >
    >> >Cheers
    >>
    >> Boot the Recovery Console, tip 2037 and links in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
    >> and tip 2615 and copy them from there.
    >>

    >> Jerold Schulman
    >> Windows Server MVP
    >> JSI, Inc.
    >> http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    HI Jerold,

    Thank for you info, i have never create a startup script. How can i create
    one and what syntax do i have to use in order to make it execute RC and copy
    the file?

    Cheers

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:

    > You use the RC to copy, not change the location.
    >
    > You could create a startup script that does it.
    >

    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:11:03 -0800, "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Jerold,
    > >
    > >Thank you very much for your reply, but i am not able to use the recovery
    > >console since, i can only access the server through Terminal service, because
    > >it is in another country. What other option do i have? I know how to change
    > >the location of the C:\Documents and Settings directory without using the
    > >Recovery Console, but my problem is i can't copy some files from C: to D:.
    > >
    > >If you use the Recovery Console to change the location, will it copy the
    > >files for you as well? e.g from C: to D:
    > >or you still have to copy it manual?
    > >
    > >Cheers

    > >> Boot the Recovery Console, tip 2037 and links in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
    > >> and tip 2615 and copy them from there.
    > >>

    > >> Jerold Schulman
    > >> Windows Server MVP
    > >> JSI, Inc.
    > >> http://www.jsiinc.com
    > >>

    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows Server MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    You boot from your install media to start the RC. To start the Recovery
    Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows
    2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup floppy disks and your
    computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows
    2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the
    "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows 2000 installation,
    and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery Console then
    prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have the correct
    password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the computer. If an
    incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery Console quits and
    restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted or missing or no
    valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts in the root of
    the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot access any
    folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr
    for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated, you have
    full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard disk.
    You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive root,
    %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional